1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safe places to tap 12V DC power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hv74656, Oct 26, 2006.

1. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been wanting to install either blue LEDs or cold cathode lights in the front footwells and in the side storage nooks in the cargo area. I don't want anything too bright, just something that's blue and gives off enough light to see what's rolling around the floor. I have no idea where to tap 12V in front except for the outlet that's up there, but I don't want a plug sticking out the whole time. However, the more important question is how to tap power in the cargo area that is only active when the exterior lights are on. I can get to the wires for the tail lights behind those grey panels in back, but I don't know if it is safe to do so. If it is safe to do so, which wires do I need to splice into and will it set off a bulb malfunction indicator. Sorry if my post is confusing, it's late. I'll try to post pictures of what I'm thinking about tomorrow.

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In my Classic I disassembled the dash around the cigarette lighter until I could get at the back of it. I made a "Y" fitting so I could plug other things into the line. This gives you power that is on when the lighter is live. It will be protected by the same fuse as the lighter. I also added a defeat switch so I can turn it off when I don't want it. Otherwise it goes on and off with the ignition.

I can't give you specifics about the cargo area because I don't have one. I can tell you what I would do. Get a light that is the same as whatever you want to mount in the rear. Connect it to any ground. Unplug the leads from your existing lights one at a time. If they don't come off the lights, remove the bulb and stick in a wire to make contact with the base of the socket. One by one, try using them to run the new load. If the new light is LED then it will have to have positive on one side and negative on the other. If you get them backwards it won't light. Look for one, like the running light, that is on and steady when you want your new light on. If you get one that works, leave it on and go up front, see if your bulb trouble light is on. If it's not, now you know what wire to tap into for your positive.

If you have to, you can always stick a piece of electrical tape over the bulb trouble light.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I installed my LED signal mirror covers, I ran an extra pair of wires from each of the doors and tapped into the door light for my footwell lights. They come on when the door is opened. What I like about this method is that they come on independently (open passenger side door and only that footwell lights up)