1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safest place to sit in a commercial aircraft.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Jul 22, 2007.

?
  1. In the front. First / Business Class.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ahead of the wings.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Over the wings.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. In the back. Behind the wings.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Having flown thousands of hours on commercial type aircraft, both as a civilian passenger and as Aircrew on a Navy C9-B (think 90 passenger commercial aircraft with UNITED STATES NAVY painted on the side), I was shocked to find out that I was wrong all these years.

Where do you think is the safest place?
    Popular Mechanics opened the National Transportation Safety Board files and did the number crunching. Apparently a first. :eek:

TAKE THE POLL BEFORE CLICKING ON THE LINK FOR THE ANSWER.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/ai...ce/4219452.html

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most comfortable ride: on the wings.

Safest? Tail section.

At least, that's what my Father taught me. But that was in the '60s. Things may have changed.

3. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i've always thought it was safest in the rear... near the end of the plane... do not know... it seems right i guess... :D

anyhow... its bad anywhere u are seated if its going down :unsure: and scary

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The safest place to sit is anywhere on a plane that doesn't crash. Then all you have to worry about is bad food and poor service. :angry:

Tom

5. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Depends on what happens to the plane.

Crash on take-off? Tail passengers are screwed.

On landing? Frong passengers are screwed.

Bomb explodes mid-air? Does it really matter where you're sitting? You're screwed.

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jul 22 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]483116[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. The popular mechanics article also doesn't take into account aircraft design. It is safest to sit very close to an emergency exit. If the plan explodes or crashes at high speed into the ground it isn't going to matter where you sit, your dead. However, in accident were people survive such as if the plane skids off a runway, most people don't die from impact they die from the fire that follows. So the closer your sit to the exit, the sooner you can get out and the better your chances of surviving.

That said, as a frequent flier that flies 150K to 200K miles per year, if I'm not in an exit row, I sit in front of the wing because it is quieter. I figure the chances of surviving a plan crash are slim to none anyway so I might as well be comfortable.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A couple of things come to mind:

1. According to the article I've been right this whole time. I thought everybody knew the answer.
    2. I don't believe much of what I read in publications like PS, since when I read about a subject that I'm already intimately familiar with, they have shown to be somewhat loose with the facts, and heavy with the innuendo.

8. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

Statistics tell us that we probably won't be in a plane crash. And if we are in a plane crash, we'll probably survive it.

I usually sit toward the back of the plane, because that is where economy is. I always count the rows from my seat to the nearest exit. And I also pay attention to the safety drill during taxi to the runway.

The most dangerous part of the flight is landing, followed by taking off. Cruise is the safest part.

Always wear your seatbelt while seated, clear air turbulence can happen at any time.

Wear long sleeved shirt and pants with good shoes if you can. In the event of an emergency, you'll be more protected. Also, I don't take my shoes off during the flight, but I do wear comfortable shoes that aren't too tight.

Don't drink alcohol on the plane, you'll get dehydrated in an already very dry environment. I drink water and juice only, and water only from a bottled water source, not from the planes tanks, which are known to not be so clean all the time.

I like to sit by the window, I like the view and it gives me something to do, and somewhere to rest my head while I sleep. My wife prefers the aisle so this works out for us.

Also, it's worth it to pay attention to the kind of airplane you're on. I like the Boeing 777 for ocean flights. It's got a clean safety record, and it handles turbulence very well. It is faster than the Airbus planes too, so you get to your destination a little sooner.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and *most* airplane accidents are related to pilot error, not a problem with the airplane. The recent crash in Brazil was pilot error, he should have refused to fly the airplane with one thrust reverser out. He also landed hot, meaning too high and too fast for runway conditions.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anywhere, because the plane isn't going to leave the runway for the next six and a half hours.

And no, you can't get off while we're waiting.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought this was well known for decades. When I flew to and from college in the early 80's, my mother insisted I got a seat in the back of the plane because it was the safest. Why was it the safest? Because it was the part of the plane that usually remained in one piece in most plane crashes.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 23 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]483602[/snapback]</div>
    Yup! Same here. I honestly thought this was well known??? And according to the poll, I guess we were right. :)

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like to sit in the back that way if we crash I get to watch everyone else die before I do..... ;) J/K

I hate flying! I will only fly as a last resort.

[​IMG]

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

In the airport lounge

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the back; I'll let the flight crew be first on the scene of the accident.

15. Katrina

Katrina New Member

I found the least safe place once when I was almost stuck in the bathroom during a landing...
    they really need to put seatbelts in there.

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wear long sleeved shirt and pants with good shoes if you can. In the event of an emergency, you'll be more protected. Also, I don't take my shoes off during the flight, but I do wear comfortable shoes that aren't too tight.

As long as the clothes are not synthetics that tend to melt onto your skin. Stay with 100% cotton.

17. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was always told over the wings were safest; I guess someone didn't care for me very much. I agree with hycamguy, I hate flying. You have to get to the airport, which in many cities is quite some distance from the city (though here in Minneapolis, MSP is close), then you have to make sure you are there one or more hours before takeoff, then when you finally get on the plane, you have to taxi around the airport and wait behind a dozen other planes before your plane gets to the runway, then you have a fun takeoff (WEEEEE!), followed by a crappy choice of token beverages - sometimes, and a whole lot of bumps, then a fun landing, then taxi around for several minutes (and if the plane is 'early' you have to sit on the tarmac for which seems like hours), then your free!, but wait, you have to make sure you have your luggage, then you have to get transport to your real destination - i.e. several miles away. And worst yet, if you have a layover (which is almost always the case in the hub and spoke systems I have come to hate), you have to repeat several of the steps again. The flight is uncomfortable, your luggage might be lost, and delays are nearly likely nowadays. If I can make a drive in one day (less than 16 hours), then I will always drive because the flight most likely only saves a few hours and will cost much more $$$. And for longer hauls, if I have the time, I will prefer to drive clear across the country anyways.