1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Safest SUV Ever Tested by NHTSA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jun 17, 2017.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This result just in. For 2017 the top SUV safety honors go to .... (drum roll . . . ) AND, it's a plug-in. Sorry Volvo - suck it up - it's not you

Tesla Model X is the Safest SUV Ever Tested by NHTSA » AutoGuide.com News

It looks like the days of Ford Explorers rolling over during blow-outs may become a bygone era. GOOD !
    NHTSA seemed to take their sweet time in getting these results out - but there you have it. Undoubtedly Consumer Reports will have to find something (bad) to say about this.
    Go plugins !!

pilotgrrl, bisco and Merkey like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they poured over that data and are working on it.
    After all, the Prius also failed the small overlap test the first year.

I would like to see the X tested by the IIHS. But the rate of tests is, understandably, slow.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    did u read the link? ... USA Today said that Tesla had
    don't wanabe presumptuous - but i think Bob may have been taking jabs at IIHS - or even USA Today, too.
    .... because maybe their title is a bit o' Drama ?
    USA Today Title -
    "Tesla Falls Short in new IIHS test"
    but after their drama title, they acknowledge top ratings on some of Tesla's tests, & SOME tests that are 'only' rated 'acceptable'. See the difference?
    USA Today's 4 month old story referenced data from last year - prior to last October - & prior to that, Tesla had already begun work on corner crash test improvements .... USA Today quotes Tesla's response - that they're
    The magazine wants a response ... & there are only what ... maybe 4 answers that a car company can say;
    #1 We already fixed it
    #2 We are presently trying to fix it
    #3 We can't fix it
    #4 We're not gona fix it

They said (answer #2) that they're trying.
    So yep - i guess that's an excuse.
    & yep - that was last year ... and all that hub-bub was over the S .... not the X. And there WERE changes to the S's front end back then - so it's now designed like the X. So - as Bob says ... we'll see what happens next round with IIHS.
    This is the nature of being #1 ... whether hybrid or plug in. Everyone wants to take shots & knock you off the pedestal.

#5 hill, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Zythryn, bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was and remain unhappy with the IIHS since there have been at least two cases where the Prius was top rated only to get down rated within six months by the IIHS. Ok, so safety standards change but IIHS went out of their way to call out the Prius in their subsequent press releases to nearly the exclusion of Detroit products that also failed. It became a regular pattern and I have no doubt that Tesla is in their sights.

As for USA Today, it is so low on my threshold, I hadn't even considered it anything but Rah! Rah! reprints of press releases free from critical review.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I generally find IIHS test results more useful that the basic tests run by the government, but that is just my opinion.
    Tesla rated high on the easier government tests but failed the more rigorous IIHS tests.
    I read the article but I generally consider the government tests set so low a bar they generally can be ignored when passed.

The tests were for Tesla models built after October 2016, according to the IIHS site.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    getting 'some' IIHS scores that are 'only good ' - instead of IIHS's opinion of a perfect possible score in a couple areas, is not a "fail" from an objective standard. There are real world scenarios happening every day, that make some IIHS tests out to look just plain foolish. IIHS claims, for example, the newer 2 door hard top MiniCooper, when properly equipped - is 5 star.

View attachment 131710

View attachment 131712

2017-06-17-10-24-49-1.png

Sorry - no matter how its equipped, a '5 star' - costco shopping cart sized cars' odds of walk away survivors (much less - no fatalities) are nowhere near as likely as a normal sized car's odds are - that 'only' gets an IIHS score of 4½ stars overall.

But that's just my opinion, as you say

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    IIHS wants to incentivize car makers to create safer cars so insurance companies can save money. After all, who is their funding source. They aren't out to get your favorite manufacturer. And once there are a significant number of models passing the current tests, why not announce some future tests that statistics have proved to be relevant based on statistics from crashes so that future models can be designed to better protect the occupants so the death benefits don't have to be paid.

Better, not perfect. And yes it is hard to overcome the laws of physics.

pilotgrrl and hill like this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ssschhhh ... they may hear you ...
    The US insurance industry: Largest in the world - Market Realist

It's not that they want to save money, because the industry can simply raise rates if necessary. The main driver - the industry wants to make more money - because it has to meet shareholder expectations. Nutty dynamic that drives the US ... but if that's what it takes to make vehicles safe ....

#10 hill, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Rmay635703 and austingreen like this.
  11. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    "To qualify for TSP+, the IIHS testing parameters require each vehicle to earn “good” ratings in five crashworthiness tests – small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side impact, roof strength and head restraints – as well as an “advanced” or “superior” rating for front crash prevention and an “acceptable” or “good” rating in headlight testing." (from a cleanmpg.com article)

For which test would you like your car to score less than "good"?

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it really make people safer, or does it make higher premium/repair cost. IIHS has been a major lobbiest for larger, more expensive vehicles. The have effectively lobbied cafe rules to favor, you guessed it, trucks and SUVs. Are we really safer with these bigger vehicles? Statistics do not show it. They do show that if you plow into a smaller vehicle with your bigger one, the people in the bigger vehicle are less likely to be hurt.

So what about this small offset crash thingy that was telling us that my 2010 prius and the 2016 model S is somehow unsafe?

We can look at the studies. Roughly 6.4% of frontal accidents according to the one I found, are small offset. When the accident is 2 vehicles the risks aren't really great of serious injury, but if you hit a tree ... well it could be serious. NIH study of all the data said it is at worst a moderate risk in the scheme of things.

Driving a car is dangerous. You may cross the highway and it a semi truck. You could accelerate into a tree.

On the other hand the number of prius injuries in gen III from small offset before toyota rejiggered the car to pass the test is extremely small. The model S, I don't think 1 major injury has occurred from a small offset test, that would be 0% so far. Could it happen? Sure, as it could in a vehicle that passed the test.

Don't get too excited when a scientific sounding organization, that really is a group of government lobbyists tells you, that you need to buy something new, because that thing you have been using safe for years now is somehow unsafe. Really I'd love my car to have an electronic nanny to stop me from hitting a tree if somehow I had a heart attack or something and couldn't drive. I think i am careful enough not to fall asleap and hit something. I don't really need titanium shields around me for the next IIHS test. Is your car older than 15 years old? Chances are you can buy a safer one. I doubt that many cars are safer than the model S, no matter what the IIHS says. There have been at least 4 crashes in the S that most IIHS top safety cars would have had major injuries, but the model S occupants were fine. The thing is built to survive.

#12 austingreen, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just fyi, here is the list of safest cars. These are the safest cars on the road - May. 25, 2017 . Tesla model X hasn't been around long enough to be considered ;-)

Of note, the Audi A6 and Mazda CX9 failed the new test, but somehow are in the top 11 safest cars. ;-)

If testing made perfect then frontal crash accidents would have been decreased 100%, unfortunately there are many reasons that this is 61%, still a marked improvement, but no where close to perfect. Seat belts, Crumple zones, air bags can't prevent them all. Brakes and active systems help more as does removing impaired and distracted drivers. All these safety devices probably mean drivers feel free to drive less safe. That small offset crash is most dangerous not in collision with another vehicle, but with a fixed object like a tree or a pole.

The model S was stopped not because of small offset, but by major driver error. The first 2 fatalities, the drivers drove off cliffs. Tesla has since added electronic nannies to automatically steer in emergencies to prevent this. The third a car thief hit a post going 100 mph. A 30 mph test is not going to stop that kind of abuse but software that the driver can't disable might.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    incredible ... according to that article - Audi, Mazda & the other 9 are "Safe" - simply because no one died in them ..... wow - so if I read between the lines ....
    That would mean technically, there may be 100's of accident victims in these cars where the victims are on ventilators - so since no one died .... those cars are safe ... at least until the family pulls the plug. Gulp ... better thank the author quick, for the helpful list.

15. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Note the absence of any rear impact crash test.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Driver killed in Tesla self-driving car crash ignored warnings, NTSB reports

Always good to read the originals, if you think reporters may be leaving out key details. Bottom line, according to the driver's family lawyer, the tesla data shows that the driver was not watching a movie. According to the NTSB the driver, not the car was clearly at fault, as the driver ignored many warnings and had lots of time to avoid this accident even though he was speeding. Witnesses also seemed to indicate, that like in many accidents, the truck driver could have also avoided it, but did not. Two different drivers were not paying enough attention.

The tesla system, is a wonderful way to build a safety system. It learns from many drivers things about unsafe driving conditions, and programers adapt the hardware for future models, and software for all models to help avoid these accidents. It is necessary that drivers pay attention and correct the system when it makes mistakes. It already makes these cars safer than most. Tesla already has corrected to account for this situation in the future. There will be other mistakes. The driver had his hands on the wheel, and probably was paying attention, a very low percentage of the time. If he had been momentarily distracted, the system would have kept him safe. He appears to have been paying little attention at all. The systems are not good enough for that. Google's self driving cars only go up to 25 mph, and have much better and more expensive sensors. The tesla was going 74 mph when the accident happened, and the driver clearly was not paying attention for the 7 seconds that were critical in this accident.

TomSwift, mr88cet and bwilson4web like this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Admittedly, I haven't read the report, but here's a question that came to mind: The going understanding is that the cameras could not distinguish the color of the side of the truck trailer from the color of the background sky. It seems like radar should have had no problem detecting the truck, though. The best guess I've heard is that the radar beamed under the truck, and just didn't give enough of a return to trigger the system to emergency-stop the car. Either that or the truck trailer was at an angle that reflected almost all of the waves to the left, and, again almost no return.

iPhone ? Pro

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    actually - that's "camera" - not plural. IOW, this was an older model S that crashed. The older models' autopilot (AP) had AP1. AP1 has just 1 forward looking camera - compared to AP2, which has 8 cameras (among other systems) all the way around. In addition the newer cars processors are 40 x faster than the original ones.
    That said, consider your commercial pilot in some puddle jumping dual turbo prop shuttle plane. let's say the pilot starts climbing but doesn't add thrust. Pilot gets the stall warning & ignores it
    Boom.
    ...... somehow we understand that's an operating issue .... but if someone ignores the warnings in a car? all hell breaks loose - & our 1st reaction is to blame the car 1st.
    (scratching head)
    On an ever-improving note - I've seen images of the model 3 test mules where they've added even MORE cameras. The race continues to make automobiles even more idiot-proof than they already are.

20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The version of software being run back then has been changed to account for bad driver behavior.

1) If the driver doesn't heed warnings to pay attention, autopilot will disengage. Driver is forced to at least periodically put a hand on the wheel.

2) Auto braking needed autopilot to be on and the vision system to see something. Now if the radar system sees a crash about to happen, it will brake whether autopilot is on or the camera sees anything.

Number 1 alone would have probably saved the driver. Number 2, we don't know, but the car would have been going slower when it hit. The driver of the truck is being charged with failure to yield the right away, and refused to talk to the ntsb. When 2 drivers do the wrong thing, its hard for new software to know all situations. Still tesla has tried to prevent this particular situation in the future.

NTSB estimated that the autopilot has prevented 40% of accidents. That means drivers need to still help on the other 60%. We already know many cases where change number 2, braking under radar, even if the driver hasn't enabled it, has saved lives. As Hill says, tesla has improved hardware for new cars too. Still software improvements is helping save lives even on older hardware.