1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Concern: Exposure to Electromagnetic Field in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mikawa, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Mikawa

Mikawa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The huge battery at the back is a big concern of mine. Essentially I have a 5-year old sitting right on top of it in the back seat on almost a daily basis. Am I exposing my child repeatedly to disturbing levels of EMF?

Currently not enough evidence had been found so far by studies to raise a red flag on this. But what if 10 - 20 years down the line scientists would look up their charts and start saying, "uuh, ooops..."?

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually there have been some studies. They couldn't sell the car in the US without them. There are some very transient spikes during start-up, but otherwise the e-m field is the same as a non-hybrid car. What happens in 20 years...I can't say.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a huge reservoir of highly flammable energy packed explosive liquid right behind the rear seats. I'm more aware of this cancer causing agent exploding than EMF from a large battery.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well according to your profile you already own a 2012 Prius Two. So if that's the case evidently the battery pack and the EMF field wasn't THAT big a concern.

You also seem aware of the fact that current studies don't raise any red flags.

And finally? You're living in Southern California. With all the available technology, and exposure to everything from smog to cell phone towers, I'd say go with best information and don't worry.

You can't predict future. Usually it's the thing nobody is in the least bit concerned about that becomes the problem. So I'm guessing they discover Licorice Jelly Beans are Satans pills of self destruction.

In the meantime? I think any EMF risk your son is taking riding in the back seat is below the background noise for any risk, anywhere.

If it still bothers you? Invest into some Lead Pads.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you carry a cellphone? You get more EMF from that than your car!

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    By pure chance, all light switches emit EMF when turned off, depending upon the cycle phase:
    • 120VAC varies from 0V to 170V peak
    • Prius battery is 202V or 144V for the Prius c
    • Mechanical switches will draw a brief arc generating a wide range of RF frequencies
    • Prius switches are arc-less, solid state with significantly less RF
    • Florescent bulb including compact have a sharp, 120 times per second, ON-OFF
    Earlier Prius ran the power cables external to the cabin between the battery and engine compartment. This puts the steel shell between the battery and cabin.

From a structural standpoint, the battery will strongly resist side impacts that try to enter the cabin. Someone sitting in the middle of the rear seat is in the safest place in the car.

Bob Wilson

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yup, and he got real good measurements of the earths magnetic field.
    Get serious people! If the Prius emitted a lot of "EMF" it would be inefficient as that would be lost energy.
    The Prius is NOT inefficient, in fact it's one of the most efficient cars in production.
    A battery sitting there does not emit anything (unless it has a leak, in which case it's a chemical not EMF). The -CABLES- from the battery can have a magnetic field develop around them when currents flow through them and they can also act as an electric field antenna, but they are run through a metal channel which prevents these fields from radiating. The channel is actually there to protect us in case of a severe accident. There is also ground fault protection on -both- leads from the battery.
    You are inside a "Faraday cage". The motor, inverter, and battery cables are outside of that cage. The battery itself is inside its' own "Faraday cage" (a steel box). A "Faraday cage" shields you from most EM fields. If the field was strong enough to penetrate that cage the car wouldn't work as you would be loosing too much energy.

So relax and watch the blinking lights. ;)

OceanEyes and southernguy like this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With one of the Cadillacs I owned, when I would take it into Manhatten, the remote was totally useless. I could lay it on the car and it wouldn't work. Once I'm out of the city, it worked fine every time, so you can imagine what floats around there.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    op, what say you?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They get paid to start FUD, not to quell it.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was hoping...:rolleyes:

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also the fumes you get to inhale every time you fill up!

14. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, the Faraday cage! Isn't that the gadget you see in some videos with extreme electricity (as in the form of lightning bolts) coursing outside of the cage while someone stands inside, unaffected by the voltage?:D Makes me love my Prius that much more... ;)

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Earth's magnetic field represents a giant source of low-level EMF.

16. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't seem to compare the Prius to the Philadelphia Project, Maglev trains or old fashion Trolly cars. If you have to be concerned about you Son's safety, keep him away from the TV, Xbox and electric tooth brushes. LOL

OceanEyes and KK6PD like this.