1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Recalls and Service Bulletins

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Oct 6, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's come to my attention that there is a safety recall that potentially affects my Prius.

Look at:

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/lsg/Prius/NHTSA.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 06V188000
    Done on LSG's Prius: Jul 19, 2006
    Mfr's Report Date: May 30, 2006

Component: Steering: Electric Power Assist System

Potential Number of Units Affected: 170856

Summary: The intermediate shaft and sliding yoke in the electric power steering system can crack when large forces are applied and the connection may separate or the sleeve may fracture.

Consequence: This could result in a loss of steering control of the vehicle.

Remedy: Toyota will replace the steering intermediate shaft and inspect the sliding yoke and replace it if necessary. The recall began on June 9, 2006. Owners may contact TOYOTA at 1-800-331-4331.

Notes: Toyota recall no. 60C. Customers may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle safety hotline aT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The question I have is this; When I have my car serviced, will Toyota check to see if there are any safety recalls that affect my car and fix them, or should I check myself and tell them what to do? What about the TSB's? Do they check those as well?

It's all making me a bit nervous.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SSCs (Service Campaigns) are the same as recalls and need to be done. Ideally the service dept. would check and make sure you had the service done if needed. Also you should get a notice in the mail if your vehicle needs it.

But yea, ask if you need it done.

Service Bulletins (TSBs) are a different matter. Those are basically just notices of possible problems the mechanics should be aware of so that if you are having a problem they are aware of how to deal with it.