1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sale value of Pri with Car Pool stickers?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by rufaro, Sep 21, 2007.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an '06 with stickers that I don't REALLY need (the stickers, I mean). I live in Sonoma County. My sister lives in LA and commutes...and is thinking of buying a Pri. I'm not looking to gouge her, but she IS thinking about a Pri and can't get stickers any more. AND, I've just discovered, I think, that hybrids can be parked free @ meters in LA...How much extra is a Pri with stickers going for in these parts?

I'm not sure I even want to sell--I've had too much stuff done to my car and I don't think I want to start from scratch...window tinting, satellite radio, sharkfin antenna, etc etc etc...but I'm curious about what's the "added value" of the stickers these days. I know if I'd'a sold it a few months ago, the premium was about $1500.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

3. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We just sold our 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid to a private party.
    KBB listed our HCH at $1600. if in perfect condition for private party sale.
    Our Honda was very well kept with only 43,500miles and 'near' perfect condition. It also came with HOV stickers, which we never used. So, the buyer could have used the HOV stickers for himself or sell them to someone else. We shall never know. However, the answer to your question: we sold the Honda for $15900. The question is: would we have been able to sell our Honda for more or less?? The buyer admitted that he wanted the stickers pretty bad, but it was also a bonus that our Honda was in such good condition. BTW, it did not take long to sell our Honda.[b/c of the HOVs?]

4. brokerdelete

brokerdelete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It appears that as the clock ticks the value of the HOV stickered hybrids is diminishing. I shopped used ones for a couple months and most good deals on low mileage used Prius's were without sticker.

The "salvaged title" deals were asking as much for their cars with stickers as was a clean title vehicle with many more miles. The 2004 used Prius I bought yesterday had 119,024 miles on it and a window sticker of $16,665 and this was most certainly because it had the coveted stickers.

But I simply asked by phone before making the long drive to their lot if they would take $14,500 (the retail KBB value is $16,125 mind you and that doesn't factor any bonus for stickers).

I was surprised that they agreed. And this put the vehicle price in line with what others with NO stickers sell for. Yes this one has the tour package, Navigation, Bluetooth, all but leather... but point being the stickers are not brining as large a premium as before now that people are learning stickers are not an infinite license to the diamond lane. People are becoming educated reading in forums like this one that it's over by 2010? I did not know that myself.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of my friends bought a '05 Prius for $25K and applied for the stickers (and got them).
    After two years of studying in SF, he sold the Prius for $25K (not a typo) before he returned to Taiwan.
    I would put the value of stickers at about $2-3K for a newer Prius (say, 04 and newer).

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm...As with the stock market, as soon as I get interested, the value diminishes. Anyone got any stocks they'd care to pay me NOT to invest in? About six months ago, I was still seeing I could get about what I paid for the car (not counting stuff like the satellite radio, window tinting, sharkfin antenna, etc.) , even WITH the relatively high mileage (then at about one year, it was about 17k miles...now, after another cross-country roundtrip plus NoCal to LoCal roundtrip it's about 27k).

Bottom line, I guess it doesn't really matter--baby sis decided she wants something more threatening looking for the LoCal freeways. Of course, since she's been driving a bottom-of-the-line Hyundai sedan, she has some inferiority issues happening.

And, no sour grapes here (I live in Wine Country!), I REALLY didn't want to sell it and start over anyway...

REALLY! :rolleyes:

I'm just happy that my '06 Pri is now worth noticeably more than the '04 Beemer DH bought used two months before we bought the new Pri--for more than $5k more than we paid for the Pri, stickers or no.[​IMG]