1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salesman Beware

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AuntBee, Oct 26, 2007.

1. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was amused by this excerpt from the book we're reading for my book club:

(main character, as spoken to Toyota salesman, "Chuck"):

"I need to be out of here in fifteen minutes, thirty tops. When I leave, I want to drive away in a new PRIUS, any new PRIUS. 2006? 2007? Doesn't matter. Color? I don't care. Equipment? Whatever you got. Demo? Fine. Here's what I'd like to happen next, right now even. You go to your sales manager and get me a number. If I like the number, I pay cash for the car and I'm on my way in my new PRIUS in time to make my lunch appointment.

"If you're not back here with a number for me in five minutes, or if the number you bring back makes me think you and your sales manager are trying to take a lot of advantage of me, rather than just a little advantage of me, I'm going to get back into that taxi over there and go to the Honda dealership on Arapahoe and make some salesman just like you the exact same offer on one of their hybrids. You have a single chance to do this deal. No negotiating. Are we clear? A hundred percent clear?"

From Stephen White's book "Kill Me." (I may try this next time I'm shopping for a car.)

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sure there's a reason for this. What's the character's motivation?

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The last car they bought was a GM?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it, I have used similar before.

Walk into the dealer, "I want you best price on this (describe what you want) and you have one chance. I will go to several dealers and will do exactly the same there. You have one chance to give your best price. When I have been to each dealer I will return only to the dealer who gives me the best price. Now go talk to the boss and come back only when you have the best price available. You have one chance to earn this commission and all you have to do is give me the best price." Get the price written with a description then go to the next place. This was very effective when I was shopping for a fridge and dishwasher, saved several hundred off the best advertised price. I'm assuming it should work with a car.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 26 2007, 04:01 AM) [snapback]530626[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you bring your lunch with you when you do that.

And your dinner.

And possibly the next day's breakfast, since you'll be having a LOOONG wait while he "talks with my manager."

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Oct 25 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]530582[/snapback]</div>
    As long as the author is really going to take it at a "good price" it is good business. What happens way too often is the customer that says this is full of s**t. I could tell you an amazing number of stories about customers and what they pull.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Basically, the strategy is sound. However, the paperwork, even when paying cash, takes a while, so the 30 minute maximum to drive away may be unreasonable. I might suggest a 15-minute limit to get the number from his boss, but then be more relaxed about getting the paperwork done. Also I'd suggest being as non-confrontational as possible. Give them the benefit of the doubt: assume they are decent folks who will understand and will play by your rule. Maybe something like:

Hi. My name is Daniel, and I want to buy a car [insert description], but I don't want to negotiate. Give me your best price, out the door, with all fees and taxes included, and I will buy it or walk away. I won't negotiate.

Or Pat's variation:

Hi. My name is Daniel, and I want to buy a car [insert description], but I don't want to negotiate. Give me your best out the door price including all fees and taxes, and a written commitment good for 24 hours. I won't negotiate. I'm shopping around, and within 24 hours I will either return and buy the car, or I will phone you to let you know I have bought somewhere else.

Of course, some cars are harder to get a bargain on. In early 2004 there were no discounts on the Prius. Maybe free floor mats if the salesman got laid last night and is feeling really good.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]530702[/snapback]</div>
    Because I chose to take a car that had the same package I ordered but a different color which happened to come in first, I got a free first aid kit (which didn't matter to me because I already had one) and cargo net. I still think I got a good deal because of that, but mostly because I like the magnetic gray I got better than the metallic silver I ordered.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a Toyota dealership in my area, where you can go in and ask for certain salesman.
    You ask, "Where is XYZ?"
    You ask, "Hey, XYZ, what is the deal on Camry now?"
    XYZ says, "$500 above invoice."
    You say, "Sounds good."
    XYZ says, "Great, you can go to the back of the building and pick the one you want. Write down the number and come back to
    see me."
    Then, he will show you the invoice of that vehicle, and send you the to finance guy for paper work.

This is not a dream. All my friends have been buying Toyotas from this guy. He does not make a lot of $ per vehicle, but
    I am sure he makes $$$$$$$$$$ in one day. He is such a big shot there, he does not need to talk to "sales manager"....
    :D

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally use email and on-line shopping to try and get the best price, and then I talk to the sales person and tell them I don't like any kind of BS when I come in to buy the car. You have to have enough gumption to make it stick and walk out on them. They usually will either call you back, or try to get you to come back into the showroom, but once I have lost trust, its over. I never go back.

The Prius was in high demand, so I didn't have as much leverage as you do normally. I paid sticker for it in early 2006, but no extras. One dealer totally tried to screw me, with a written quote that promised a price, and then $6,000 of add-ons were tacked on (after I took 2 hours to drive to them). Toyota of La Puente is forever on my "never again" list, even if they are giving cars away.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 26 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]530698[/snapback]</div>
    I agree; dealers get the bad rap, but it's not always the case.

12. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To answer Tony's question, I think the character's motivation for that particular buying approach was the fact that he has just found out that he doesn't have long to live and doesn't want to squander precious time. Young salesman, Chuck, rises to the challenge and indeed makes the sale:

"It took the various players 35 minutes to get the paperwork together and finally give up trying to sell me all the extra crap--extended waranty?--you've got to be kidding--that car dealers hawk to pad their profits. While I waited for this form and that form to be prepared, I strolled out and sent the taxi on its way...(wondered) if I'd live long enough to figure out what the fun graphic display meant on the little screen in the middle of my new car's dash."

Interesting book so far.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]530693[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not to shy to shout out for the salesperson to get their finger out or I'll take my cash somewhere else.
    Oh another trick, have the cash with you or at least a sniff of it, let em see it. You do need to show a commitment.