1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salesman Deceit (Be a smarter buyer)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by golong, May 23, 2008.

1. golong

golong New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I bought my 08 Prius, not only did the salesman"scam" me for a $1645 warranty, but he presented it "bundled" with a $399 Tire and Wheel Protection package. I didn't notice the separate items until a few days later. I intend to cancel the warranty tomorrow and tell them I've found a better deal elsewhere. Anything I can do about the "bundling"? My strategy is to tell them if they drop the $399 charge and give me the warranty for $990, then I won't drop it. If they won't go for that, should I ask for the manager? Any thought from more savey buyers?
    Embarrassed buyer from Maine.:mad:

2. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good idea on the trying to lower, make sure you don't tell them where you got the lower price. Tire warranty is BS, drop that for sure, if they won't lower, cancel.

3. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not sure the salesman scammed you; that implies illegitimacy. But he sold you up, certainly. Closing the deal in any sales situation is an art that most customers don't have. Maybe too late for you (although you have options), but others can learn from your situation.

First, know what you want. If you want extended warranty, fine. But most extended warraties are a major profit center for almost all companies (not just car dealers) with little advantage to the consumer. With other add-ons, negotiate. In the final analysis, the salesman needs the sale more than you do -- go in with that attitude and you'll be at an advantage. Salesman is not going to let you walk over add-ons.

And here's a tip well-known among sales types -- once the final price is given, the next one to speak loses. So sit there and peruse the paperwork. If you don't speak, you'll get your price.

4. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    you dont need the warranty until the 36 month / 36000 mile period is up
    then you can buy one here for $990.
    cancel it - save your money for 3 years, then buy the extended warranty if you still want it

tire package? nonsense. how much do new tires cost?
    cancel that crap and put the money into a cd, earn yourself some interest

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've posted this before: When dealing with Auto sales people always remember the following question and answer: How can you tell when an auto salesperson is lying?

His/her lips are moving!