1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salsa, #7, no, #9, April 23, 2004, no, June 2004

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by clubmedic, Jan 2, 2005.

1. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

On April 23rd I ordered a #7 Red Salsa
    from Lombard Toyota in Illinois
    I was given an estimate of 6-9 months, and was #51 on the list

After a month or two, I asked my salesman if upgrading to a package #9 would change the delivery date, and at the time he said they were getting more of those than the other packages. Since I was looking for an excuse to upgrade, I allowed myself to ignore the fact that salesmen always want you to upgrade and changed to a #9.

A few months ago they called and said they had a White #9 available, but I passed, holding out for my Salsa. A few weeks later my car blew a head-gasket while helping a friend move! There goes my trade-in, and my wheels.

Dang, should have taken the white. So I've spent the last few months driving my father-in-law's extra van (1988 Chrysler Conversion Van - NOT a recommended ride, folks).

Just as I was looking at taking over someone elses lease, or getting a vehicle from 'Rent-a-Wreck', I got my call December 30th! My car is on the boat, and should be here in about 3 weeks! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's got a few things I didn't really need (netting, locking lug-nuts, glass-breaking-sensor).. .but I'll take it.

Now I'm just making a list of things to buy for it when it gets here <g>

2. DanH

DanH New Member

I was wondering... Aren't the things that you don't want things that are added on at the dealership or at the port? This is not a car already on the lot, but one still coming to you on the boat.

I wonder if you can tell them not to add that stuff. Or am I just nieve in the ways of car dealership slime. Then it could be worse I guess, those items added sound small compared to some of the junk others take to get the car that arrived for them.

Anyway, congrats on your soon arrival. :mrgreen:

3. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

Yes, this vehicle is coming on the boat. As for the 'way of the dealerships'... I sold software to dealerships for 14 years before I started teaching 2 years ago. For the most parts, dealerships are slime. Sorry if I offend anyone out there. But these guys make money by selling you things, that's their job, and it takes a certain mind-set to do it, and a stronger mind-set to do it well (thus being promoted to finance manager, etc.).

The only other time I bought a new vehicle (back when I was about 22) that dealership pulled the same crap. I ordered a vehicle, and when it came in there was extra stuff on it. Naive me took it in stride and bought it.

This time I'm not so naive, but I'm desperate for a vehicle, and can affort the extra $200 without too much effort. I could probably put up a stink and tell them to take off the darn 'locking lugnuts', but the glass-breakage system is built in (I assume) and I don't mind the netting.

I just want my car!! (and of course, the dealer knows it)

4. DanH

DanH New Member

It's a real bummer that dealers are so slimey that way. You'd think Toyota would have a say to them since it's their name that is on the line. That is when someone is looking for a car thats the same price, features, etc. the dealer with the less slime will probably get the business. In fact I had someone tell they found Honda dealers to be less pushy and wanting to add stuff on, so they went Honda. It's things like that make we wonder why Toyota doesn't do more to 'combat slime'.

Interesting thing about that glass breakage sensor... I was looking at it on the web with a fellow employee that just got a Tundra (poor soul) and that actual hardware consists of less than $1 of parts. A cheap microphone and an LED. The major guts are already built into the vehicle.

At least $200 of add ons I'd have to say isn't so bad. It seems a lot of the cars for the Southeast here they put on this 'Toyogard' package going for $700! It's crap most really don't want, things like undercoating, etching on the glass and some other small items. Certainly NOT $700 worth of stuff! But when I look at the online available inventory for cars in this region most of them have that crap added.

Oh, where in the Chicagoland area are you from? I spent most of my life up in Zion.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clubmedic\";p=\"60954)</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanH\";p=\"61047)</div>
    Indeed, those are all PIO (Port Installed Options).

6. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

I'm from Lombard/Elmhurst region, a fair ways from Zion.

I don't know why things like netting would be PIO. You'd think it's a casual 'toss it in at the dealer' type of thing.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clubmedic\";p=\"61209)</div>
    Both the Toyota brochure and the Kelley Blue Book pricing report list the F&R Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, Rear Bumper Appliqué, Cargo Logic Tote by Nifty, First Aid Kit, the Glass Breakage Sensor, the Security System Upgrade and the Alloy Wheel Locks as PIO. My car did not come with the net, which I wanted, so I had the dealer put it in.