1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salsa Red; #9; January 24, 2004; Ramsey, NJ

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by sibtrag, Jan 27, 2004.

1. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Date Ordered: January 24, 2004
    Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State): Prestige Toyota Ramsey, NJ
    Timeframe given for delivery: 6 months
    Color: Salsa Red
    Option Package: #9
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: ??

I had been researching the Prius (and other hybrids) for years, but wasn't in the market for a car. Since we bought a Subaru Forester for my wife in September '03, I was planning to buy a Prius in September of '04. I had heard rumors that they were hard to get, but hadn't really looked into that aspect of the purchase.

I received a flyer in the mail from another dealer which said (believe it or not) "Prius 2004 Motor Trend Car of the Year In stock and Ready to Drive". Perhaps I should scan it in and post it for those with a more active fantasy life... :wink:

So, I went to my local dealer for a test drive and heard about the 6 month wait. :( They had none to test drive and were pressuring me to purchase something else.

When I got home, I called the dealer who sent out the flyer and heard that they had "just sold the last one" and that there would be a 6 month wait for another one....a likely story! :cussing:

So, I called around and found a dealer who had one to test drive...I enjoyed the drive and put down a deposit. (They insist I'm "ordering" a car just for me, but I've read the forum enough to doubt that.)

So, if all goes well (and our '94 Civic holds out), I'll have a Prius just about when I wanted to purchase one. :D

Of course, I didn't really want package #9, but that's the only one with VSC in this area...and with recent weather, I want all the help I can get.

P.S. Almost forgot...the dealer has already called me back to check up as promised. Perhaps I won't be complaining about my never hearing from the dealer as others do.

2. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a scan of that ad saying that the Prius is "in stock and ready to drive"...

3. priustoric

priustoric New Member

Did they try to get you to buy a Scion, by any chance? That's what I kept getting steered toward, which was driving me INSANE. Scion vs Prius... what do they have in common???

4. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't bother visiting that dealer, as they didn't have one to test drive. But, below the ad (on the same page) is a Scion ad.

5. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, tonight we go to the Toyota dealer to pick up my new car! It's not red like I wanted, it's blue. And, it's not a Prius like I wanted, it's a Camry.

My 10-year-old Civic was in the shop on Friday, and the mechanic told me it was time to buy a new car. It would take very many bucks & over a week to repair...putting more money into the car than its resale value.

I called the salesman who had my order, and he predicted it would be around September before they had a car for me. He offered to cancel the order & reverse the charges on the deposit, which I accepted.

We looked around, found a number of nice cars on the market. Not as good gas mileage, but certainly more available :) A local dealer had a Camry XLE with side airbags on the lot & we bought it. (I must say, I was tempted by Scion xA...looked fun, 38 highway MPG & quite a bit less expensive, but not enough room for anyone in the back seat when I set it to a comfortable driving position.)

Thanks to Danny & the PriusChat community for a fun 5 months of dreaming. Enjoy your cars!

Bob

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, Bob. Please keep in touch!

7. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Enjoy the Camry

8. Huck

Huck New Member

As much as I despise the bait and switch, the ad referenced in the first post of this thread struck me as hilarious.

First, the idea that they would be using the Prius (that most nerdy and impractical of cars for eco-freaks) to lure people to their dealership is something that I would not have believed a year ago. The Prius has arrived!

Second, the idea that they would then try to sell a Scion or something to people who showed up wanting a Prius seems silly to me, but heck maybe it's working. Seems like it would just piss people off.

Third, the idea that any knowledgable Prius buyer would actually believe that, despite the ridiculous wait times and huge markups, there is some magic dealer in NJ that has a bunch of Prii in stock seemed like a desperate ploy by the dealer to me.

Well, it says to me that the Prius buzz is a true phenomenon if dealers are aware of it and using it to sell other non-hybrid cars. Maybe there's hope for our energy future after all.

9. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Personally, I would spend about 2 hours of his busiest day test driving, asking about options on Scion, ordering one all tricked up, then, after he/she's spent about 2 hours frothing at my free spending and right about the time I need to sign something and make it all legal, say ... nah.

10. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife was the one who pointed out the Scion to me. At 32/38 MPG, the xA is one of the more fuel-efficient non-hybrid cars on the market. In fact in my area, with the Prius & HCH not available, it's one of the most fuel efficient cars you can buy. (if you don't have anyone to sit in the back seat...)

11. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Top reasons I love my camry

You're right. While I miss such things as SE/SS, silence at stoplights, and regenerative breaking, I'm quite satisfied.

Top reasons I love my Camry:

10. No one asks me annoying questions about my car when I park at Whole Foods.

9. Dual power driver & passenger seats. (my wife loves that!)

8. Air conditioning vents for the rear seats (my 6-year-old loves that!)

7. No CamryChat.com to waste^H^H^H^H^H spend my time on.

6. My real-time MPG display shows exciting numbers other than just 99.9 when I'm coasting down a hill. *

5. Thrill of negotiating a price below MSRP.

4. It's easy to get fresh air through the automatic climate control system.

3. It looks the same great blue color on sunny & cloudy days.

2. No fuel bladder...My fuel gauge actually shows how much fuel I have left. :lol:

and the number one reason:

1. Now I see Priuses everywhere! (I had rarely seen one, now I'm seeing 1 or 2 a day)

* While I see 99.9 much of the time, at low speeds the idle consumption is enough to give less than 99.9 MPG. :(

(Much of my Prius experience comes from a week-long rental of a Tideland in Austin, TX.)