1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Salvaged Prius purchase - good experience so far, knock on NiMH

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jawshoeaw, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, new to prius chat and to prius in general. Just bought a salvaged (and put back together) 2008 Prius package 6.

So far so good, few problems (AC coolant was not filled after reconstruction but the seller happily had it filled and it's worked great since (over a month ago and I use AC once a day probably). The seller in this case was the guy who did mechanical and body work so I had a 30 day guarantee from him for any labor.

Anyyywaaaay - just thought I'd share.

I didn't pay very much for the car so I felt that even if something broke it was worth the risk. And it's a 2008 pk6!! So cool. I sold my 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 6 speed Coupe which was getting 19mpg even with some attempt to "be good" and being MT. I'm now getting 40-42mpg in Prius and I netted $2K between sale of Accord and purchase of Prius. I live on top of a hill and do lot's of 2-3 mile trips so I'm happy with that.

I miss catching rubber in 1st and 2nd (and sometimes 3rd in the rain :) ) but I'm not looking back - so happy with the Prius, I love all the whiz-bang gadgets even after a month of playing.

Best feature so far: Front seats have concave rear surface so baby-seat fits behind my seat (I'm 6'3") better than any other car I've tried so far -another reason to buy a Prius!!!

Did I mention that I love my car???!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Congrats on the great find! Hope it continues to serve you well for a loooong time!

You'll find a great bunch of folks here with a wealth of information on all things Prius.

3. gremlinperson

gremlinperson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your great deal! I considered buying salvage because there are some great prices out there. In the end I chickened out and decided to go ahead and buy new to get our employer $3k reimbursement. Keep us posted how things go. I have a feeling my husband is going to want a Prius too. :) If so, we will definitely look into trying salvage.

I noticed there are quite a few salvage titles out there -- is it more than for other cars? Just wondering if Priuses are more prone to "totaling," maybe for repair costs being exorbitant in relation to car cost???

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome:)

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome sounds like a good score. Hopefully it's in fine shape and you will have many trouble free miles.
    If however you do sport a bit O trouble, you found the right place to ask a question or two!!!

6. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update on Salvage Prius experience

Well, no major problems yet but for full disclosure to those considering Salvage Prius, here are problems encountered so far:

Air Conditioning did not work: (My fault for buying car on cold day and not testing)
    Solution: Seller apologized profusely - they had forgot to recharge after repairing car and quickly serviced for free at his shop: He used special non conducting oil and ran system on vacuum/drier before adding new coolant. System works great after several months and many 100 degree F days in traffic. Whew!

Very slow coolant leak on Inverter side. Haven't found leak yet, it loses about 1 tablespoon (15ml) every month. I occasionally smell faint antifreeze smell. Verdict is out on this one - may be problem in future but so far not a problem. Keeping fingers crossed.

Brake fluid leak. This one is more scary, but not unheard of in Prius's weird braking system. (In other words, might be due to accident, or might be coincidental) I don't think I noticed leak originally because the friction brakes are so rarely used. In four months, I've lost about 1/3 pint of fluid or ~150ml. Finally set off warning light so I refilled. Leak appears to be in Brake Accumulator/ABS Pump assembly - hard to tell. NO DTC thrown, no leaks at wheel cylinders or at master cylinder.
    Original seller has agreed to look at the car and diagnose problem for free, will negotiate repair - stay tuned on this one.

No other problems. I've found a few missing plastic anchors for bodypanels/bumper skirts probably from replacing during reconstruction.

Final thoughts: Don't buy a salvaged car if you are going to worry about these kinds of problems. The brakes are of course a more serious problem but the Prius is designed so well with so many failsafes that I'm not overly worried. When the fluid got low enough to trigger the first idiot light (red brake light), the whole system still worked. I foolishly ignored this, thinking it was the parking brake switch being stuck. A week later, all the idiot lights came on (ABS/VSC/Brake) and I lost power brakes but had master cylinder (manual braking) which worked perfectly. I hardly noticed to be honest, but then I wasn't racing down a mountain road either. Had I popped the hood and topped off brake fluid, I would never have had a loss of braking. Note: The brake fluid reservoir still had lots of fluid in it, but for some reason, the Prius computer didn't like it getting too low (maybe to avoid air).
    Two lessons here: Pay attention to the idiot lights and don't be an idiot!!! Inspect your car thoroughly after buying salvaged. Some problems can take a month or two to surface, like slow leaks.

7. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update - brake fluid leak was a fitting that wasn't tightened down. Problem solved. Well, we'll see.

8. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could just be that the Prius is still in demand and worth the trouble to rebuild and sell. Therefore, more are being rebuilt, skewing the statistics. Some cars aren't worth the trouble, because the labor to do any car is fairly constant, so if the car is too cheap you can't make any money. Others the parts are simply too expensive to turn a profit. The Prius might be in the "sweet spot" of reasonable pricing on used and new parts and a decent market to make it all worthwhile.

9. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just finished rebuilding a salvage Prius myself. You can get front end sheet metal, head lights, condenser and fan assembly inexpensively since they are available after market.
    However, some items are very expensive, like the thermos bottle, TB and air intake system. Some of these you can find used, but usually not the air intake since that usually gets creamed in a front end accident. If the car had harness damage, most rebuilders will not be equipped to run the diagnostics to fix everything properly. Unless your a Prius expert, or the engine and Synergy drive system is all functional, you may have a lot of cost to repair that your average rebuilder cannot handle.

10. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told by the guy I bought mine from (who has another 4 for sale!) that in his experience, insurers are much more likely to total out a Prius - he could only speculate as to why but said that there are tons of them totaled with very little damage. He buys only non-frame-damaged. For the so called expensive parts, he buys others with more severe damage. i was just checking out one of his latest acquisitions - hit in the side hard. Side air-bag was interesting to see. car did a good job of absorbing impact, or so it seemed.

A good example of expensive parts: Inverter - up to $3500. But taken off the smashed prius - free. Well, sort of. he paid about $3000 for the smashed one which comes of course with a complete driveline intact. engine, tranny, inverter, battery, etc. all perfect, but the car is cheap from insurer because it can't be rebuilt.

11. blacktouring

blacktouring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Strangely, it does not seem to take more than ANY type of frontal impact to create a salvage title Prius. Seems a bit odd/overly conservative IMO. I've been in worse wrecks w/lesser valued cars w/o being totaled by my insurance company. Perhaps it's due to some of the expensive hybrid parts under the hood?

Toyota : Prius:eBay Motors (item 300338214588 end time Sep-02-09 10:13:41 PDT)

Toyota : Prius:eBay Motors (item 220466688609 end time Aug-20-09 18:46:26 PDT)

Toyota : Prius:eBay Motors (item 260463262697 end time Aug-19-09 20:40:28 PDT)

12. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the inverter can cost $3500. That alone might kill the deal

13. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update for November: New problem with salvage car. The 12V battery is not doing so hot. Leaving door open kills it in about 30 minutes. Running radio with car off takes about 15 minutes. I left it on 1 Amp trickle charge overnight which didn't seem to help anything. I took battery out and left it on a 24 hour desulfating 1 Amp charger (probably just half wave rectified AC with no smoothing cap) . Maybe it helped, I do not know. Car can sit for several days without the 12V battery dying so I'm not too worried. It's mostly annoying, but I never turn car off now if I'm listening to radio. It only pulls about an amp off the traction pack while sitting (and I have four of them!) in ready mode.

14. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here in California a salvage title only means that a vehicle was repaired under an insurance policy and the repair costs exceeded blue book value. Many if not most vehicles with salvage titles were driven away from the scene of the accident rather than towed and suffered only cosmetic damage with no repairs to the drive train necessary. "Salvaged" vehicles can be great values due to the negative connotation of "salvaged." It's more of a legal/financial term than a reflection of the severity of the crash which necessitated the repairs.

15. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update on salvage Prius: Finally replaced crappy battery with Optima yellow top. $140 w/free shipping from Amazon, $8 connectors from Sears for standard battery connectors. I'm loven it, can listen to the radio for 30 minutes (at least) without HV power.

No other issues to report, everything works great with 18K miles, now getting 48mpg on 60 mile (each way) commute and 3 extra traction batteries, but no charging (charger exploded when a diode shorted, haven't built a new one yet).

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Are they installed in the car (total 4 HV batteries?) or just spare parts?

17. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are installed, or rather wired in parallel. I use the BMS+ device to use the extra battery power and charge with a simple homemade charger using basic diodes and capacitors to double/rectify mains voltage to 240VDC.

Range is about 10 miles no gas burned or 25 highway miles and get 75mpg.

1 person likes this.
  18. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only down side with my rebuild is resale value and I wouldn't sell it anyway unless I could buy another

19. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Re: update on Salvage Prius experience

I think you have to have the knowledge to understand how the Prius works! I like your philosophy!!

20. Salvage09

Salvage09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also bought a salvage Prius 09, about 18 mo/10,000 mi ago and it's been great. I had to replace the 12 v battery-not unusual for 4 year old, and the inverter coolant pump had to be replaced (~$300). Other than that, it cost me $7000 less than regular title, and I've got no complaints. Ad from Cars.com, dealer Leandro ( listing himself as an individual seller) in Burbank, CA . You need to keep your eyes open, but you can ignore the fearmongerers. FUD paralyzes us.

PriusGuy32 likes this.