1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego FasTrak Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Jan 26, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

We are picking up our new '06 Prius in the very near future and will be applying for the CA clean air stickers. I have read that the Bay Area Prius owners have to get a 'special' FasTrak transponder before applying for the clean air stickers.

We have a FasTrak set of lanes here in San Diego. Do we need to get a transponder in order to use it solo with our (upcoming) new clean air stickers? We use those lanes often when we have more than one person in the car and it is open in the direction we are traveling.

As a side, does anyone have an update on the number of stickers issued as of late?

Thanks!

2. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Looks like your lucky in San Diego. From the DMV web site:

If the Clean Air Vehicle is a hybrid and you are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must include an original receipt from Bay Area FasTrak as evidence of a "FasTrak" toll account. The FasTrak receipt must show evidence that a toll account was issued specifically to your hybrid vehicle.

It's not that bad for bay area folks. You can return the transponder and get your $40 back I've heard.

Congrats on your new Prius!

3. sunnysandiegan

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can get a Fastrack transponder so's you can travel in the Fastrack lanes and tollroads, but you don't need one in SoCal in order to apply for the HOV stickers. :)

5. sunnysandiegan

I was just coming back here to ask another question, Jennifer, and your response is related. :)

Do I need to get a FasTrak transponder in order to travel in those lanes (or on any SoCal toll road) solo with my clean air stickers?

I know how the clean air stickers work for the "regular" HOV lanes alongside the freeways and on the ramps. You just have your stickers on the vehicle (one on each viewable side, according to diagram) and drive in the HOV lane at will.

How does it work in the FasTrak lanes/toll roads? Logistically, I mean. Do you only drive through a certain booth? Can you drive in those without a transponder? Currently, we do not need a transponder for the FasTrak here in San Diego. We just drive in the lanes from the only ramp there is. There are no booths or collection points. Ours are a bit odd in the fact that there is only one entrance and one exit. You have to want to go as far as it takes you. I've never been on the toll roads in the SoCal area, but am going up there in late February.

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You do need to have a Fastrack transponder to travel in the Fastrack lanes/roads. The HOV stickers are only good for the carpool/HOV lanes.

I used to have a Fastrack transponder and used it mainly on 2 different roadways. I'll be applying for one once my Prius arrives, to use along with the HOV stickers I will also apply for. The way it works is this:

You are given a little plastic transponder, rectangular in shape and white in color, similar in size to a Kitkat bar (maybe about 4x3"?), which you keep in the car. Mine came with a velcro attachment and I attached it to the bottom inside portion of the windshield on the driver's side, near the dash. On the 91 fwy Fastrack lanes I would get in at the entrance, and once you passed the transponder receivers, the transponder would 'beep' signaling that you were good to go.

On the 73 tollroad (OC), I would get on at whatever onramp and either there would be a transponder receiver at the onramp, at the end of the toll road, or at whatever offramp I exited from which would also bring the 'beep' from the transponder. The toll road is also a regular toll road, where people that don't have Fastrack can get on and off but stop by a booth to pay a toll.

It costs different amounts to use any of the Fastrack toll lanes/roads at different times of day, and different days of the week. They usually post the $ amounts near the entrances so you can decide if it's worth it to use them.

Here's a website that might have some more helpful information. It's been about 4 or 5 years since I've had an account, since I don't use those freeways as often these days.

7. sunnysandiegan

Hey, Jennifer, THANK YOU!!!! I appreciate the details.

I clicked on that link and found my way to reading that the Prius does not qualify for free access on the toll roads/FasTrak. I wonder how up-to-date they keep the website. I thought those roads were part of the HOV access. Am I missing something?

8. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    *wave* from another San Diegan...

When I looked into it last year, the reason that Bay Area residents require a special FastTrak transponder is because their HOV lanes had special toll booths for the bridges up there. While clean air vehicles are allowed in the HOV lanes, they still had to pay the tolls -- and there was no opportunity to switch from an HOV lane to a non-HOV bridge-crossing lane.

(Compare to the HOV/FastTrak lanes on I-15 in San Diego: carpools use them free, clean air cars use them free, solo commuters have to have FastTrak.)

Short answer: since your vehicle is not registered in a Bay Area county, you can simply apply for the stickers.

For counts... as of a month ag o (Dec 27th), there were 39500 issued: http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_361214342.html
    1400/wk back in October, indicating exhaustion of the 75k limit in "early spring": http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/hybrid-com...arpool-stickers

If there isn't already a thread somewhere where people post their sticker numbers, you could create one -- I'm sure there'd be a lot of traffic (and they were numbered fairly sane/sequentially, so far as my coworkers and I could determine.

Links:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm
    http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/info/...tructions.shtml
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=10698#entry115930 (and many others)
    http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=115555

9. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's what I get for firing off a response too quickly. The nitty-gritty on why Bay Area registrations require FastTrak is laid out at the bottom of: http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/info/...tructions.shtml

10. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With regards to the current # of HOV stickers issued, I just saw a post in another thread on p. 1 of the Main Forum that someone had received their stickers on 1/21 and the sticker # they received was 450xx. Better apply fast! I'm applying as soon as I receive my VIN from the dealer...

And I think this is mostly with regards to the 73 Toll Road in Orange County, but likely apply to others as well. I found this on their website (www.thetollroads.com) in the question and answer area:

Q. Can hybrid or electric vehicles travel The Toll Roads for free or at a discount?

A. No. Hybrid and electric vehicles are subject to normal toll rates for all vehicle types..

Q. How do I pay tolls on The Toll Roads?

A. When you drive The Toll Roads, you can pay the toll two ways - with cash or with FasTrak.

FasTrak is an electronic toll-collection system used on tollways in California that allows drivers to drive through designated "FasTrak Only" lanes without stopping. The toll is automatically deducted from a prepaid account.

You can also pay tolls with cash on the 73, 241, 133 and 261 Toll Roads. Not all toll booths are staffed so be prepared to pay with exact change at automatic coin machines. (Note: Cash is not accepted on the 91 Express Lanes, which is run by a separate entity from The Toll Roads.)

On The Toll Roads, there are two types of locations to pay the toll - at ramps (as you enter or exit the road) and at mainline toll plazas.

Paying tolls at ramps. As you enter a ramp toll plaza, the road separates into FasTrak lanes on the left and cash lanes on the right. FasTrak patrons can pass through the designated FasTrak lanes without stopping and the toll will automatically be deducted. Cash patrons should have exact change, as most ramps are equipped with automatic coin machines. Ramp toll rates vary from $0.25 to $1.50. At a coin machine, simply place the toll in the collection basket. Once the toll is paid, you will see a green light that signals you to drive through.

Paying tolls at mainline toll plazas. As you enter a mainline plaza, the road separates into FasTrak lanes on the left and cash lanes on the right. FasTrak patrons can pass through the designated FasTrak lanes without stopping and the toll will automatically be deducted. Mainline plaza toll rates on the 73 Toll Road vary from $2.50 to $3.50, depending on the method of payment (cash or FasTrak) or the time of day. On the 241,261 and 133 Toll Roads, toll rates vary from $1.00 to $2.50, depending on the method of payment (cash or FasTrak) or the time of day. If you are paying cash, you will either pay a toll collector or an automatic coin machine.

Toll collectors can accept bills up to $20. At a coin machine, simply place the toll in the collection basket. Once the toll is paid, you will see a green light that signals you to drive through.

11. sunnysandiegan

Thanks tkil!

Jennifer ~ I heard that your registration paperwork (from the dealer) needs to be at the DMV before they will process your application for the stickers. I'm working on getting my salesman to have the dealership's DMV clerk "walk" my paperwork over to a local DMV, but we'll see how that works out when I go pick up the vehicle in another week or two...

12. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doh! My guy was hoping that if he got me the VIN, that I could apply as the car was on its way...ah, well. Another 1.5-2 weeks then. :)

13. YourCarPC

YourCarPC New Member

Yes, you need a FasTrak transponder to use the 91 Express Lanes & other toll roads in CA. Otherwise the big hammer of the bureaucrats will come down on you! :angry:

I drove my Prius with 4 occupants thru the toll-free 3+ lane back in October. Carpools are supposed to be free on the toll road, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A FASTPASS. The Fastpass requires a $75 deposit and (if you ever use the FastPass without 3 people in the car) they require at least $7/month toll or they charge that amount anyway. After 3 letters and 2 attempts to pay the fine, they have my "violation" in collection as an $80 charge. This for less than 10 miles at about 10 mph faster than the freeway which should have been free and would have been billed for $1.80 if I were solo. They're in it for the money and they don't honor the HOV sticker even with the FastPass.