1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego MPG Strategies?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sdleo726, Nov 22, 2009.

1. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi PriusChat... I've been lurking a while, and now that I've got my Prius IV, it seems that trying to maximize my MPGs is a fun and challenging goal.

San Diego terrain is varied with hills and canyons, insane highway speeds, a little bumper-to-bumper traffic, and temp ranges that vary widely (i.e. hi30s to mid70s in fall/winter).

Searching for terms like SHM (superhighway mode), Pulse and Glide, and Power Mode makes me wonder how other San Diegans maximize their MPGs?

Can someone help explain SHM? Is it different for a Gen III versus older modles?

When Pulse and Gliding... do you: 1) accelerate slowly in the "eco band;" or, 2) accelerate asap in the red "pwr band?"

Thanks in advance. 3/4 of the way on my 1st tank of gas, 370 miles, 47.4 mpg.

2. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty good mpg for san diego. I usually can't get more than that around here but I don't drive too slow either. the highest i have ended my tank with is 50.0 but there are many others who have beat that by driving slower. try taking routes that require less hills, and try not to use the AC too much. I usually avg 45 or so.

have fun

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SHM is narrower and harder to achieve in GenIII.

An older thread describes P&G and WS in GenII. SHM was found and described much more recently, but I can't find it right now.

4. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How many miles is your commute? That can make a big difference in your mileage. The further you drive, the better your MPG. One of your greatest challenges will be to drive in a leisurely manner - that's key to getting better MPG and to enjoying your driving time. Don't try to keep pace with the rest of the traffic; move over to the slower lanes and cruise near the speed limits. You'll be rewarded with good fuel economy and feel less stressed, too.

However, do be cognizant of traffic around and behind you. Be neighborly. Don't hold up traffic because you want to get another 2 MPG.

Your mileage is already very nice - drive at a relaxed pace and it will only get better.

5. SD LOCAL

SD LOCAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Speaking of San Diego, SD LOCAL here. Been driving the highways and roads of SD my entire life since I'm a SD native. You're right, the hilly terrain we have here can make it challenging to get those super high mpg numbers in your Prius. The best thing you can do is simply keep your speed down. Do the speed limit or just go 5 mph over at most so you don't have a line of mad people behind you. Stay in the slow lanes and let all the crazy stressed-out people go around you. They'll also be the ones to get an expensive speeding ticket from one of the many CHP radar cops we seem to have now, especially on the 15, the freeway I commute to and from work on everyday.

6. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the input all. I finally decided to fill up my first tank of regular unleaded fuel - my Honda S2000 only takes premium, so it was a pleasant little price reduction.

I got 390.2 miles at a FCD-47.2mpg or calculated 45.4mpg.

I think I may have stumbled upon SHM on the way home (although I think it was really the slight downhill route). A 15 mile commute more downhill, mostly highway, and the FCD read 52.0mpg with an Avg Speed of 49mph. Going to work is more uphill, and I forgot what the Prius got me this morning.

It seems like I'm doing better "gunning" it to the red line to reach my target speed, or the crest of a hill, then pulse and glide from there. Only time will tell...

Go Prius, and Go Chargers!