1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego/Orange County Carpool Lane info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by leahja, May 14, 2006.

1. leahja

leahja New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with a bit of information. I just got a new job in the area and will be covering the territory of Orange County and San Diego. That means I will be driving quite a bit and am considering buying a Prius for the carpool lane and the gas, because of all the driving. Does it really save time being able to drive in the carpool lane in those areas. I currently am in LA and in this area it seems that when their is alot of traffic even the carpool lane is very congested.

I know the carpool lane stickers are running out, and this will really affect my decision to buy a Prius quickly.

Thanks for any info on this.

2. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depends on your route. I go 55-5-57 and save 30 minutes per trip. 405 from OC to LA is congested, but you still go faster in the carpool lane.

OC and LA have more carpool lanes than San Diego.

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the Northern San Diego area using the carpool lane is a great time saver. SD is just not into the carpooling as much as LA is. LA freeways are congested period, but it has been helpful when in that area as well.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 14 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]255458[/snapback]</div>
    True. I use Highway 15 in my commute and the only HOV lane is the reversable. If I used that every day it would add over 50 miles.

5. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i love driving in the carpool lane by myself
    usually on the 105

6. cabillings

cabillings New Member

The stickers will definitely help you on both northbound and southbound of the 405, but a big factor is the time of day that you are driving. If you travel the 605 (most of it is in LA County), you will benefit as well. I drive it everyday and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my stickers.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Avoid the N-5 carpool lane in the area between Irvine and Anaheim. It merges 3 traffic flows of N-5, N-57, and some carpool direct access from the street (from N-55?) into a single-lane bounded by a concrete barrier. Trapped with nowhere to go.

Everyday I drive by there even the congested freeway is faster than that carpool lane section.

Otherwise, the 5 ride N|S south of the 91 is fantastic, 91 W|E is great (and quite necessary when using it to avoid the puny N-5 between the 605 and 91).