1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego Toyota and oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaf709, Mar 4, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is more for those who live in San Diego County and go to the dealer for oil changes.

I'll be taking my Prius in for its 15k checkup and oil change this month. I've gone to a couple of dealers before for the 5K (Frank Toyota) and 10K (Kearny Mesa Toyota) changes. I was happy with Kearny Mesa, but my father, who owns a 1985 Corolla and doesn't drive much, likes going to San Diego Toyota (he lives 1 mile from there) because he got a free car wash. He seems to feel that should be the deciding factor in the location.

I told him that San Diego Toyota isn't exactly on the top of the list, but I wanted to make sure. Do they do a good job with the Prius? I live about 2 miles from them so it's the closest dealer, but that shouldn't be the main reason to go there.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I shamefully enjoy driving from La Mesa to Carlsbad where I bought the car. I leave it for service and go to the outlet mall. A friend of mine uses San Diego Toyota and she was pleased. I have had bad experiences in the past with Bob Baker and with El Cajon.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a bad experience with the sales people at San Diego Toyota and have no reason to believe the service department is any more honest, ethical or reliable. It's also small. And the parts store is small, cluttered and dirty. And overpriced, since I knew how much the item I wanted really cost.

I've taken my car to Kearny Mesa Toyota once. I left instructions and they were followed to the letter. They did NOT wash my car, as per my instructions (usually they do) and they only put in 3 quarts of oil as per my instructions. I checked before I drove off. They also inflated my tires correctly as per my instructions. 42/40. I have no problem with them. They have adequate staff, a trained Prius person, large bays, a clean and well-lite work space.

I'll continue to bring my Prius to Kearny Mesa Toyota until there is another dealer with more or better Prius-Trained mechanics.

4. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just wanted to report that I decided to try Bob Baker Toyota as they were the closest to me. They were nice, but messed it up.

1) I gave them 3 quarts of Mobil 1 and said 3 times that I would put the rest in myself. When I got it back I saw on the instructions Customer brought own oil. Use customer's oil first then top off with our own. When I remarked on that they acted like that was a normal thing. :blink:

2) I asked them to call when it was ready. I ended up calling them. I found out that it was ready 2 hours earlier.

Ah well, live and learn. I'll be using Kearny Mesa Toyota from now on.

UPDATE: I sent a letter to Bob Baker Toyota and complained. The Service Manager said they will correct the problem at no charge. :)

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Further Update: I took the car into Bob Baker Toyota and the drained the oil and replaced it with Mobile 1 synthetic (with a new filter) at no charge. :)

6. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

Does anybody know if you buy the prepaid maintanence if the dealer uses synthetic oil or regular? Guess this is particular to the San Diego area too, and more particularly Carlsbad Toyota.

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not buy the pre-paid so I get what ever I ask for. Just call them. They will let you know if there is an additional charge but I wouldn't think so. I get to go to the collision center tomorrow and see if they can get the paint off my car from the spray can accident earlier today.

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 11 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]253892[/snapback]</div>
    Check with the dealer. The default seems to be dino oil (synthethic extra charge) for non-prepaid. I'd expect the same for prepaid.

9. danichap

danichap New Member

I live by San Diego Toyota as well and have always had great experiences with their service department (though it's true the dealership is a bit messy/not as nice as Kearny Mesa and some others). I recommend them to others. Because of my experience there, I did by my Prius from them and have to say had a neutral experience with the sales department (nothing bad, but nothing outstanding). Personally I would stay far away from Carlsbad Toyota based on a nightmare experience I had after purchasing a certified used car there in 2001.

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why anyone would take a vehicle to a dealership for a simple oil change is beyond me.

Get yourself some $30 Rhino Ramps and change the oil yourself, 30 minutes tops and you are done.

11. FinnAgain

FinnAgain New Member

The salesmen at Toyota should be keen on making customers think that they NEED dealership care. Y know, becuse $180 brake jobs must be better than the $70 you may pay elsewhere.

About the oil, Steve, it doesn't matter all that much in San Diego. My understanding is that synthetic oil is best when used in cold weather. I live in S. Florida and almost no one uses it here for that reason.