1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Jose Mercury News Poll

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by charliep, Jan 14, 2005.

1. charliep

charliep Junior Member

Hi All,
    Gary Richards at [email protected] is conduting a poll "for or against" hybrids in the the carpool lane. Email him and let him know how you feel. I was interviewed for last Sundays Boston Globe.

Boston.com

THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

The Boston Globe

Hybrid car law hits political traffic jam

Calif. seeks to ease carpool lane access

By Bobby Caina Calvan, Globe Correspondent | January 9, 2005

SACRAMENTO -- Saving the environment and reducing dependence on foreign oil motivated Charlie Porzio to buy a pair of less-polluting, fuel-sipping hybrid cars. He greeted a decision by California lawmakers to allow the vehicles to zip through carpool lanes even when driven solo as a welcome bonus for environmentally-aware consumers.

But a political impasse in Washington, D.C., has stalled the California law from taking effect, prompting grumblings from a growing legion of hybrid car owners who are eager to break free of gridlock.

"There was all this hype that they were going to let us into the carpool lanes. I was psyched for it," said Porzio, a Boston transplant who now lives and works in the San Francisco Peninsula, along a congested stretch of Highway 101, between Silicon Valley and San Francisco.

The new law, signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger last fall, was to have gone into effect New Year's Day, but the state lacked the necessary waiver from the federal government, which funds the nation's network of diamond, or high occupancy vehicle, lanes.

"I think it's fair to say everyone is disappointed," said Sev MacPete, a telecommunications attorney and president of the Prius Club of San Diego, a group of hybrid car aficionados partial to Toyota's version of the high-tech automobile.

Legislation granting the waiver was tucked into a major transportation bill last year that, despite separate approval by the House and Senate, ultimately fell apart because of key differences among members of a conference committee, though none of those differences centered on California's request for a waiver. A stand-alone bill was later introduced, but Congress adjourned before the legislation could be fully debated.

On Wednesday, Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, said she would sponsor a bill that would allow California and other states to let solo drivers of hybrid vehicles use diamond lanes, usually reserved for carpoolers, during peak commute hours.

"Hybrid vehicles are the wave of the future, and we should be doing everything we can to encourage their use," Feinstein said.

Virginia is the only state to allow owners of hybrid and other "clean fuel" vehicles access to HOV lanes, regardless of the number of occupants, during peak traffic. Although the Federal Highway Administration has said the state is in violation of federal rules, officials have thus far not taken any punitive action, such as cutting federal transportation funds.

"Maybe Virginia's budget situation is better than ours, and they can risk it," said Assemblywoman Fran Pavley, a Southern California Democrat who authored the pending state law. "Remember, California is a blue state."

California's law would grant access only to hybrid vehicles that have a fuel efficiency of at least 45 miles per gallon. Moreover, California plans to cap special carpool permits to 75,000 hybrids.

Virginia officials say the increased popularity of hybrid vehicles has meant more of them on the road and in carpool lanes, prompting concern that they, too, could soon be stacked bumper to bumper. A report by a Virginia task force released this week urged the state to consider limiting the number of hybrid vehicles that can use the diamond lanes.

While California has the nation's largest fleet of hybrid vehicles, they comprise a minuscule fraction of the state's 30 million vehicles. Still, the cars are gaining popularity. By 2007, the state expects to triple the number of hybrids to more than 110,000, according to the California Air Resources Board.

"A lot of Californians are lining up to buy these hybrids," said Pavley, who wants to see even more hybrids on the road.

Indeed, the impetus for the California law was meant to increase demand for hybrid vehicles, which use both a gas-powered engine and a battery-powered electric motor. Hybrid cars are usually thousands of dollars more expensive than comparable vehicles equipped only with traditional gas engines.

Despite the extra expense, there has been consistent demand for hybrids, said David Nelson, a sales manager at a Berkeley Toyota dealership that is among the nation's top hybrid sellers.

While some dealers have used possible access to carpool lanes as a selling point, Nelson said, "my perception is that that's not going to be the main reason they want a hybrid -- although it's definitely a fringe benefit."

Most buyers are ecologically and politically minded, people who want to protect the environment or reduce reliance on Middle East oil, he said.

"That's a big deal," said MacPete, the San Diego Prius owner. "I think people still buy cars for all the wrong reasons. I think they should buy a car that is dependable, efficient, and minimizes the use of scarce resources and does the best job of protecting the environment."

The hybrid technology has produced improved fuel efficiency -- with some newer models exceeding 60 miles per gallon of gasoline.

© Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Bobby Caina Calvan

(916) 752-1659

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Prius owner I have to vote "against". A carpool lane improves air quality by moving more people with fewer vehicles and by decreasing (however slightly) the average trip time. A short-term benefit from encouraging hybrid use would soon be overwhelmed by clogging up the carpool lane. I note that Toyota still cannot keep up with demand, so demand (for their hybrids at least) hardly needs encouraging. Rather than hybrids it would be more effective both for air quality and traffic congestion to allow transit busses to use the carpool lane, in those jurisdictions where they do not already.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"63436)</div>
    As distasteful as it is to some that hybrids may/are allowed in diamond lanes, I find it more repugnant that a Hummer is allowed because the driver has one or two snot-nosed offspring in the back seat munching on fast food and watching Sponge Bob while being chauffeured to and from soccer practice. Where’s the environmental logic in that??? The children can’t drive, so it’s not like extra vehicles are removed from the road.

Even without the addition of Hybrid vehicles, some diamond lanes are at or over designed capacity levels, so any increased future environmental benefit would have to come from the design of the vehicle itself.

I would rather see congress re-designate the diamond lanes for scheduled transit bus service, scheduled commuter bus service, ZEV, and hybrid PZEV which obtain over 45 MPG. This would cause great demand for ZEV and PZEV cars. This would kick auto makers in the pants to upgrade their cars to meet this new demand. The environmental benefits would extend beyond the commute hours as these new, cheaper, clean cars would also be purchased in non-diamond lane areas, and they all will be available 24 hours a day.

Many carpoolers do so for economics reasons, not concern for the environment - so even if excluded from the diamond lanes, they would sill carpool or convert to mass transit. If they want back in the diamond lane they could purchase a qualifying car.

When diamond lanes become clogged with the current mix of allowed vehicles - then what do you do?

Now is the time.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the short term I vote yes. That is until something better comes along, as far as emissions are concerned. Then dump the hybrids the next day! The HOV lanes are to improve emissions first and improving traffic flow second. Just one opinion. I have gotten my best m.p.g. ever in a back up from Seattle to Tacoma in a major back up that started after I got over the hill out side of South Sound Center.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Sufferin... you bring up a very very valid point

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Here it's called the "Green Lane" the wife and I are in my Prius and following a Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel crew cab with two guy's in it. If that's green I'll eat my shorts.

7. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

I am repeating myself here and I will reiterate a MAJOR point of the California law is that....

Caltrans can suspend HOV lane privileges for hybrids on any highway if it finds that the lane or any portion of it attains a specified level of congestion that cannot be alleviated by other means. For example, carpool lane use is already heavy on Interstate 80 in the East Bay and on Highway 101 in the South Bay. It is conceivable that Caltrans would not allow hybrids to use the HOV lane on these freeways.

So I am currently in favor of the current California Hybrid use of the HOV lanes.

Marv

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"62528)</div>

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree, the Ca law is written to provide an easy way to fill up currently under-ulitilized lanes. ans also, the escape isnt eligible unlike VA.