1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sanding/Grinding Down Aftermarket Brake Pad Ears

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi PriusChat,

I was working on my rear brake pads last weekend and I had a tough time installing Wagner ceramic bake pads. I had thoroughly cleaned the caliper and bracket where the pad sits with a wire brush. I replaced the brake hardware with new ones that came with the Wagner brake pads.

I tried forcing down the brake pad hardware as far as it would go. It didn't look like a perfect fit, but it still clipped on.

I had a tough time installing the aftermarket brake pads. No matter how I angled or pushed the pads in, it wouldn't fit. I finally got a metal file and tried grinding off some of the pad ears. After manually filing the pads for a while I managed to take off the outside paint on both ears. It was enough for me to install the pads with a few taps with small hammer.

In the end, the pads don't slide well. I have a feeling they will wear unevenly. The pad should sit snug but there shouldn't be so much resistance for move around.

I probably should sand/grind the pad ears further. I can also grind some off the caliper bracket which I thought was ceramic but is actually metal where the pads sit.

The problem is that I don't have a tool that does this. Does Priuschat have any recommendations?

Perhaps a small rotary tool like a Dremel? Which bit can grind/sand metal?

#1 Siward, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wouldn't be grinding on the cutout for the ears on the brake mounting equipment of the car that is all metal iron whatever none of it is ceramic or carbon fiber or any of that The backing plates of your pads are also metal You can grind them down on your regular bench grinder literally in seconds the top and the sides a wheel does this perfectly That's why the ears stand up off the pad and on the top and the bottom if you will You could use a Dremel with the wheel on it but then you have to hold it and hold the pad with the standard five or six inch grinder You just put the pad on the tool rest and flip the grinder on grind accordingly. I haven't even had to do this with the cheapest pads you can buy on eBay for $9 that you shouldn't even be putting on your car they all fit my Corollas and well other Toyota's out in the parking lot without any ado. But I don't use those pads really very much I did a few eons ago but there was really no savings pads are generally inexpensive as things go in this world anyway. But a very light sanding should have done the trick especially for Wagner they're a major name in the break industry Raybestos Wagner etc. Should not have fit problems on one of the most popular cars in the planet so maybe it was just a bad run what have you maybe run them back to the store and get a different brand just because they'll probably drop right in without any discussion actually.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a cordless Milwaukee Dremel tool the 12 volt and then home Depot over where the dremels are sold there are a ton of cut off wheels metal grinding bits and the like You're grinding here basically You don't want a middle bit that's going to try and cut the metal like an end mill on a milling machine You want something that's going to grind the metal like a grinding wheel or a cut off wheel usually you're just trying to pull the little ridge off the edge of the metal plate If you look at the edge of the ear you will see the casting mark that I'm talking about It's a u shape it goes over that ear on the metal edge not on the pad material You're just cleaning up that casting mark You don't want to grind off of the mount on the car If you want to grind off the ear of the backing plate of the pad I usually use the cut off wheel to do this That's my personal favorite a grinding wheel is a little tougher to use and hold even in the Dremel.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps OEM pads would fit with out a problem???? :whistle:

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, there are several reasons why my pads don't fit

1) Aftermarket brake pads may be a few mm off.
    2) Rust or dirt build up on caliper components
    3) Aftermarket brake hardware (brake pad clips) may not be appropriate thickness or shape
    4) Improper installation of something (especially the brake hardware). I pushed them down as hard as I could for more clearance.

Either way, sanding off 0.5mm or 1mm would fix my problem. I only took a little bit off the top of the brake pad ear, so that it could fit on caliper bracket. I did not touch the brake pad backing plate or shim.

After watching a bunch of Youtube videos of brake videos. I noticed some mechanics would take a sanding tool to the caliper bracket & brake hardware. It is no difference if I sanded the caliper bracket or the brake pad ear by less than 1mm.

Yes. Wagner is a big aftermarket brand. I bought a bunch of auto parts from RockAuto when I was in the United States as part of one shipment. There is no way I can return it. I live in Canada.

I am trying to figure out which Dremel bit I should be looking for. At the moment, it looks like a Dremel grinding stone that works on metal.

#6 Siward, Sep 6, 2023
  7. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did something like this three years ago and no problems since. :)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Chalk up to experience and buy some OEM's? It rankles, but hey.

Fit "might" just be the start of your problems; maybe the pad material is second rate too, who knows.

Empeegee likes this.
  9. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have two different calipers in the rear.

On the rear driver's side, I have a Raybestos Element3 Caliper with Wagner brake pads. It has worked perfectly for the last 4 years. I have no fitament issues here. In fact, I notice no difference here. I think it is because the brake hardware is from Raybestos that came with the caliper. The previous Toyota OEM caliper eventually seized, so it was replaced.

On the rear passenger's side, I have Toyota OEM caliper with Wagner brake pads. This is side I am having trouble installing Wagner pads on. I am betting the brake hardware that came with the Wagner pads are the issue, but my original OEM hardware is too rusted up that it went in the garbage.

OEM vs Aftermarket, I am not sure. I always bought the most reputable aftermarket brands. They are sort of in the middle in cost. Wagner/Raybestos cost less than OEM, but a little more than other aftermarkets.

#9 Siward, Sep 6, 2023
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what I'd be wondering, if they couldn't even be bothered to get the dimensions right.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Empeegee

Empeegee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're gonna regret those ceramic pads unless you have upgraded the rotors made specifically for ceramics. Seen way too many warped rotors after installations of ceramic pads. Not sure if that's even an option for the Prius.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think you can buy the rotors that you want for the ceramic pads for just about any car on the planet. Even a Yugo.