1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sat in Model 3 at Palo Alto Store

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by cycledrum, Jan 17, 2018.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to Stanford Shopping center store first Wednesday about 1pm after Model 3 first arrived last Friday. About 15 minute wait to get in it. Only one model 3 there.

I confirmed the basic $35k Model 3 will not even have adaptive cruise control. You'd have to get the $5k autopilot option which includes adaptive cruise control, so $40k right there. I think this is bogus since the base model car does apparently come with automatic emergency braking. Seems base car has radar and camera needed for ACC.

Lot of driver legroom available, I'm 6'2" with 35" legs and needed to move seat a bit forward, more than enough legroom for me. Pretty sure I like the Model 3 seat better than the one in S.
    This car had every option available, price about $55k (or was it $58k according to other guy?). So, it has glass pano roof front to back. Plenty of headroom in driver seat.

Everything controlled through touchscreen. No knobs on dash, only right and left scroll wheels on steering wheel. Use touchscreen select steering wheel adjust, right wheel adjusts scope, left tilt. I'm sure the wheels will adjust bunch other stuff just enable in touchscreen.

I like the center armrest better in model 3 because S has short armrest and cupholders right where I'd want to rest elbow. Instead elbow right there to knock over drink. Silly layout to this day. But, the 3 has wide, long center armrest and cupholder are in front of armrest several inches below, like most sedans, Camry, Accord.
    I think the base model will have open storage bin. This one had storage bin in front of cupholders.

Took Mom over there too. She's in a wheelchair. Decent entry / exit from chair to front passenger seat and Model 3 horizontal, vertical front door space better than Model S.

Decent headroom / legroom in rear seat but, legs come up off the rear seat quite a bit as the floorboard high due to battery pack underneath. I think would be tight squeeze for 3 adults across.

The trunk. Well, the opening and space 'not very big', but there is a storage bin maybe near two feet wide by foot and half under trunk floorboard. No spare tire or flat kit. Tesla has roadside assistance. Has 60 /40 fold down rear seats.

They don't know what all the $35k car will be like as none built yet. Said base car will start be produced mid this year, but we'll see.

Once they reach 200k Tesla's sold in US, $7,500 Fed tax credit cut in half and they're about at 180k sold now, so that will happen fairly soon.

I'll check http://www.turo.com see if owners renting out Model 3 for fair price. Word is a few have started renting theirs but asking near $400 or so for a day. That ain't happening :)

#1 cycledrum, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice write up, thanks man!(y)

cycledrum likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are correct, TACC is only available with the $5000 premium package, I don't know of many cars in this price range that include TACC in their base car. The premium package also includes many other features - vegan 'leather' seats, auto fold mirrors, all glass roof, premium sound, and auto lane change.

In Tesla parlance, "pano roof" means an all glass roof WITH opening sunroof. The Tesla 3 roof does have an all glass roof with the premium package but it is not a "pano roof."

Correct, scroll wheels have other functions like side mirror adjustments, etc. Future, free, software updates will give even more functionality to the scroll wheels.

Correct,the $5K premium package includes covered storage bins (three of them) between the two front seats. These are truly cavernous.

I have measured the seat to floor distance in both the Tesla 3 and my 2012 Prius Plug-In, they are equal. The Tesla 3 is 2" wider in both the front and back seats (door closed) than my Prius. Plenty of room for three adults abreast on short trips.

The trunk of the Tesla 3 will hold two sets of golf clubs with the seat up or a mountain bike (with out removing the front wheel) with the seats folded down. There is also the 'frunk' at the front of the car that will hold a 'carry on' suit case. Plenty of storage for most needs.

Just like my Prius, no spare wheel, but it does include a portable generator and sealant (unlike the Prius). Roadside assistance is free (unlike the Prius).

Base car will be "early 2018" likely by end of March. AWD option will be available "mid 2018."

Not really. About 25% of Tesla cars have been sold outside the US and do not count toward the tax credit threshold. It is expected the full tax credit will expire on 9/30/18 and then be reduced to $3750 for another 6 months and then be reduced to $1875 for yet another 6 months.

Check Turo again, Tesla 3's are renting for $150 for 24 hours in California. People have already done it.

#3 el Crucero, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    cycledrum likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd give her a go for 150 balloons.

markabele likes this.