1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sat/radio didn't work after wash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tinaprius, Jan 7, 2011.

1. tinaprius

tinaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took my car to one of those no-touch car washes and after I pulled out the sat radio would come in and out but would not come in clear. I switched to FM and it was full of static. I parked the car in our garage and about 30 minutes later I checked it again and it was working. Any ideas?

2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Water went somewhere.

3. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I have an idea. Don't do that again. Apparently some water got in where it wasn't supposed to go and then dried or dripped out. Frankly, if it were my car I would probably worry that this might happen again and again and more often as it aged and I would try to track it down and have it fixed, but the easiest solution is to avoid high pressure washes and if you do go in them, resign your self to bad (or should I say badder) radio for a short time.

You could mention it to the dealer every time you bring it in. Maybe someone else in the Toyota hierarchy has figured something like this out and they might post it on their computer system. Not likely, but possible.

4. HanSolo

HanSolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This just happened to me. I removed the antenna before the automatic wash and screwed it back in after. Now the xm radio is in and out or silent. I'm going to clean the antenna hole then see.

5. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a JBL system with Sat radio, no Nav. Have been through these touchfree wash stalls several times......never had this problem.

6. HanSolo

HanSolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Problem went away. I dried off screw in antenna connection but it didn't seem wet. Weird. Thanks for the thread.

7. Pri4Us

Pri4Us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a thin film of soapy conductive moisture could short out the antenna terminal. At commercial car washes it's common for attendants to temporarily remove the antenna so their roller brushes don't tear it off. Unfortunately, their actions may leave the open antenna receptacle full of soapy/waxy water.

There are a couple of easy solutions to this potential problem.

(1) Unscrew and remove the rubber ducky portion of the antenna yourself and insert a tight-fitting plastic/rubber plug or a short nonconductive screw with an identical thread pattern before going to your local car wash.

(2) If your antenna does short out due to trapped moisture you can remove any residual soapy water or contaminating residue at the bottom of the receptacle with a Q-Tip. Then blow dry the receptacle thoroughly with pressurized (canned) air before rethreading the antenna.