1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite Antenna Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Smooth Operator, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Smooth Operator

I have a Terk antenna on order for use with my Sirius satellite radio. I think most people attach this kind of antenna behind the existing AM/FM roof antenna.

I'm thinking I would like it to go in front of the exising roof antenna. The tail would then come back to the existing antenna and enter the cockpit through the same hole used by the existing antenna. I think that hole also houses the interior roof light.

While I think I would like the look and signal reception of such a placement, I'm concerned that I may just be asking for problems with water leakage. Given that I live in Vancouver, rain leakage would be an almost daily experience many months of the year.

Am I just asking for problems with this idea?

2. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The installer I went to warned me not to attempt this for that very reason. I also wanted the antenna to go there. They ended up installing the antenna on the FRONT of the roof. The "rat tail" leads to the top of the winshield and enters the cabin at the front of the car. Good luck!

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

P.S. Check out Sirius' NEW CANADIAN web site at:

http://www.siriusradiocanada.com/index.html

3. Smooth Operator

I'm guessing you have the Terk antenna that attaches with adhesive rather than one of the magnetic antennae? And that the tail is attached to the roof by adhesive so that it doesn't blow in the wind?

Any idea if there are ways to avoid damaging the paint if you have to get the antenna/tail off?

BTW, do you have any photos of this antenna installation?

4. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No it is a magneitc mount "mini" antenna it came with my Brix Streamer. The "tail" is also magnatized. I've said before that I'm going to get some pictures and I think I've delay enough. I'll go take them now and try to post them later today to tomorrow.

Oh, I've had no problems with this set-up other than the usual drop-outs under an overpass in areas with out a repeater. I live right between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and cannot get the ground based signals in my neighborhood, unless I'm in my apartment (on the 15th floor).

Peter
    Aventura, FL 33180
    USA

5. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, I've finally up-loaded some pictures of my Sirius installation. They can be viewed in my album here.

Good luck with your project!

I'cant figure out how to get a thumbnail here....

6. Smooth Operator

I'm guessing the antenna wires were run under the rubber molding for the dashboard, then under the hood, and through an existing opening in the firewall to the interior.

Do you know where the existing opening in the firewall is?

7. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator\";p=\"43423)</div>
    No, I'm sorry I don't know where they entered the cabin with the antenna wire. I may be taking the car back there to install an AUX-IN kit so if I do (althought this may be in a few weeks) I'll ask.

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

8. Smooth Operator

Thanks.

I'll be away from my car for a month so I won't be doing anything to make the PnP2 installation pretty for a while anyway.