1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite or Cable?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by geckoboi78, Apr 25, 2005.

?
  1. Satellite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

I have had cable for years and just recently switched over to DirecTv. I love it and just curious how many Prius owners have satellite vs. Cable?

2. raybon

raybon New Member

Too many trees where I'm at to get satellite... I've got cable.

Glenn

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

We've got Dish Network. Have had problems with them over the years, but recently they've been good, since we got our HDTV receiver. Ready for more HD content (only 5 channels currently), but otherwise enjoying everything else. (Our former problems with them mainly dealt with a faulty receiver that they didn't want to cover expenses for).

-m.

4. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

I've got both Dish Network and cable. When Comcast took over AT&T Broadband Internet, they jacked the prices of your internet connection unless you also used their cable TV service. So I got a basic cable hookup to the bedroom (this was in the days before free multi-room Dish hookups) and pretty much broke even on the cost. As a bonus, the cable installer didn't have the right channel blocking gadgets with him, so we ended up with a full cable package (minus premium pay channels).

My wife and I do laugh at the Comcast cable commercials which complain about all the problems that having a dish bring. We get more pixallation and service outages from cable than we ever do from the Dish. And we live in a depression surrounded by trees - it took the Dish people 2 weeks to find a good install point on the roof that had satellite visiblity through the trees!

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At my condo I have Shaw cable and their high speed Internet as the Condo Association refuses to allow satellite dishes. At the hobby farm I have Starchoice DBS.

Overall I would rate the Starchoice DBS as having better picture quality than the digital Shaw cable system. The incidence of pixelization and dropouts is about the same.

The biggest difference is package price for programming. The same programming content is a good $45 a month cheaper with Starchoice DBS. Most DBS have programming packages a lot more reasonable than what cable offers, as the cable usually has 1-2 packages and other channels are pricey add-ons.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SO CAL - LA / Hollywood
    Direct TV
    way better and way cheaper
    Cable blows!!!!!
    if you need net access use DSL
    Can't wait for satellite net prices to drop!

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm a cable kind of guy. With Time Warner Cable, I've got a cable modem, 2 digital boxes, one of which is a HD-DVR, all of the premiums except for Starz, plus the Video On Demand services such as HBO On Demand (which I wish would come out in HD), plus 11 HD channels (not including the special event channels which air all of the Braves games in HD) - all for a price that none of the satellite companies could touch. Although, they mainly can't touch it because they just don't offer it (or you have to pay $1,000 for a HD-DVR).

I have my sporadic problems with cable, and really wanted something like VOOM until they went under, but I'm addicted to my HD-DVR and no one else can offer it for $4.95/month.

If I was a "standard" customer with basic packages, there's no way I'd be with cable - DirecTV all the way.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm probably on the low end of the spectrum: I have extremely basic cable, combined with a TiVo.

There are a number of shows I'd watch if I had extended cable (Deadwood, The Daily Show, and probably Cartoon Network non-stop). However, my schedule is busy enough now that I barely have time to watch what I am recording.

There's that stack of books to read; some home development projects to work on; oh, and those things you humans call "chores"...

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The poll needs a third and fourth option. . . “Other†and “none†. . . I’m an Other.

I had and hated Comcast until I switched to and loved DirecTV . . . until something better came along.

Fiber Optic! :eek:
    with
    Triple Play! :)

TV:
    No rain/snow fade. No cable outages, no East Coast centric time frames.
    TV channels and music clarity like DirectTV .
    Local government, local weather, local PBS and community channels.
    Pay-per-view. (Yawn)
    Video-On-Demand!!! (Start, stop, rewind, fast forward, and pause movies . . . and no Blockbuster visits!)

Internet:
    10Mbps!!! (Yes, 10,000,000 bits per second) symmetrical (up and down) always on and no possibility of a slowdown because of neighbors using up the bandwidth like cable. The fiber cable comes all the way to the house. (FTTH)

Phone:
    POTS . . . sort of, except it is crystal clear, unlike POTS.

Not counting the first week of bug shake-out, The system has been up and running for me for almost a year and not even the slightest glitch.

Two TVs
    Two Phone lines.
    Internet.
    $120 month with tax & fees. About what I was paying separately for a lesser quality of all three.

[use 95819 for zip code]
    http://personal.surewest.com/

10. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

I prefer DirecTV over cable. We now have the TiVo receiver, and we love it!

11. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From 1991 to 2002 we lived off the grid on an island so our only out of area TV was provided by satellite Direct TV (US). Then the law makers in Canada decided that receiving cross border signals was against the law however since the 52 acre island we were caretaking was owned by an American family everything was in their name. This confused the federal communications folks. So we kept Direct until moving to Vancouver Island where we now have satellite Express View (CAN). Also had Shaw TV and Internet but because my better half likes to be able to watch her US channnels both East and West we dropped Shaw TV. Decisions,decisions :|

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"84305)</div>
    Interesting how both Dish and DirecTV wanted to offer their service directly to Canadians, with Canadian-specific content, but were refused by the Canadian government.

Also interesting how the Liberal Party Of Canada, under PM Chretien, ensured that some Liberal pals made a killing off launching dedicated DBS satellites: Starchoice and ExpressVu (From the monopolistic Bell Canada).

And very interesting how Canadians cannot legally receive HBO, but can indirectly receive HBO programming if they subscribe to a Canadian movie package or ShowCase. But DirecTV does carry some Canadian channels, such as 366 CBC Newsworld.

We now have a thriving black market in illegal SIM cards for DirecTV (Which is expensive and unreliable, since it's illegal), and the taxpayer continues to pour $$$ into poor substitutes.

All of this was to ensure the continued support of "Canadian Content."

Let's face it: if Canadians were so s*** hot over "Canadian Content" then they wouldn't pay more for illegal black market DirecTV systems.

13. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have wireless TV

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Satellite TV here. Where I live, cable is not available, and analog TV is a joke on watchability.

I used to hack Direc TV, untill I got tired of the constant cat and mouse game of keeping the system up and running. I then subscribed to Dish network, and remained a customer with them untill last month, when I switched to Direc TV. Dish networks basic package was too lacking in the channel choices that I wanted, and I would have been required to buy into their top tier of programming to get the entire discovery channel network lineup. Direc TV offered the whole thing in their entry level, which was about on par with Dish Networks mid range package. Plus they now offer RFDTV, which used to be a Dish Network exclusive.

15. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jayman, you got that right! :pukeright:

16. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Time Warner cable here. I had thought about going to Dish network because they had the programing I watched but would have to have gotten the higher program. I have not checked lately to compare the two. But another thing I had to consider was internet. I have Earthlink broadband thru my Time Warner cable and love it, never to go back to dial up. What about broadband with satellite? Any probs and how does the cost compare?

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rick, it's my understanding that at present the download end of things with broadband satellite internet is reasonable but the upload is relatively slow. Perhaps one of our resident gurus could give us some numbers on this. Don't know about the cost side of things.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with direcway, the biggest problem is the fact that the signal has to travel from your computer to the satellite to the ground receiver then to your internet provider then back. lag is horrible.

speeds are fair and loading of the network doesnt affect speed like it does for cable and you can get fairly fast uploading bandwidth for a price.

problem is setup for internet is spendy. but for TV, satellite is light years ahead cable here. now cable offers less channels for more money for standard programming. digital cable is a lot higher. also i like the fact that most of the satellite channels i see on the west coast are on east coast time slots so i can watch a lot of programs 3 hours earlier than i can with cable

19. Hybred

Hybred New Member

My provider is Comcast with Microsoft TV Foundation Edition...for 9.99 extra a month I get HD (all networks plus three channels of In Hi Def), a PVR that can simultaneously record 2 Hi Def programs while watching a recorded third program. The interface is much smoother and intuitive than the prior Comcast TV Guide interface, and I must say overall that I am very pleased and hope that Comcast rolls this out to states other than Washington soon. Of course with cable the down side is the garbled look of the lesser non digital channels, but I've come to live with it since I can get the networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX in HD. Oh yeah I didn't have to pay 1000 smackeroos for a box either.

20. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"84373)</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"84383)</div>
    I have also read about sat not being as good in the internet aspect. That is why I have been hesitant on making the switch. With my digital cable and broadband, monthly charges are around $100. Have been getting info from Verizon, my phone carrier, about DSL. Any ideas here on speeds? Maybe do DSL for internet and Dish for TV?