1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite radio, revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jennjay, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all, an old topic, but I really want some honest input. I would like to add the cleanest satellite install to both my 06 and wife's 05 Prii. Both cars have navi 6 cd etc. I would prefer Sirius, but would be ok with xm. Toyota now has stock xm available for 06 , but I'm not overly enthused about antenna location etc. Factory interactive and Metro Toyota have both xm and sirius, but I heard there are some problems with Sirius, static, etc. I also see that metro says to call for 06 info, assuming it is different from 05. FI uses same kit for both, I think. I would have install done professionally because I do not trust myself.

What has everyone else done or what are you thinking about doing? I'm a little confused and would appreciate input. Has anyone installed the new portables from sirius and xm? How does it look? Is that the beter route? All input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

2006 Pkg 7 with leather seaside and 2005 Pkg 6 with leather salsa

2. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jun 2 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]264896[/snapback]</div>
    From Reading this forum...

1) Sirius installs using the Solara's radio only seem to work in systems with the Navigation System. Uses the Sigma Antenna installed behing the mirror on the upper windshield area. I recommend a dashboard near the windshield installation with a different Sirius antenna or XM micro antenna or a Roof antenna installation instead of the Sigma. WIth the non JBL radio there seems to be problems with Sirius reception, especially noise on the talk/sports/news channels. (SiriusPrius)

2) Vais has a very nice interface that works currently with the XM Direct receiver. This receiver interface combo will work with the MFD just like the Toyota Prius XM or the adapted kits from Coastal, etc. I DO NOT know how to mount this receiver behind the dash. One PriusChat member BobR has it and likes it alot. He mounted the Vais interface behind the glove box and the XM Direct in the Glove Box. Vais is reported to be working on a Sirius installation.

3) The Sirius Starmate Replay or GTR Streamer would need to be installed in the CD stroage box behind the flip down door. THere is a single DIN install kit that should work. The "box" would need to be removed and you will probably have to use the Sirius FM Modulator Relay with the antenna to interface. I looked at this closely and thought the tolerances are too tight to use the radio buttons easy. You will need to use the remote control. The MFD will not be used.

4) Use the AUX in jack in the 2006 to interface any PNP XM or sirius radio. I am currently using a Pioneer Airware XM2go with great results. I just put the antenna on the dashboard as a temporary install and put the reciever in the front cup holder.

5) Toyota has just released the install kit for the Prius for XM. Rumors are there will be a Sirius install from Toyota later this year. There is confusion as to which receiver Toyota is selling for the Prius and now there are reports of a different radio for the JBL radio and a different receiver for the base radio. There are also reports of some installs having a 10 character display and other the 16.

6) Metro, Coastal, and PriusXM all have well received kits using the Toyota XM Receiver from the Solara. These installs are very well thought of and work well. These radios have a 10 character limit on the display. Radio is installed in the right rear quarter panel. This install uses the MFD.

Hope this helps.

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 2 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]264951[/snapback]</div>
    Does anybody have any idea where the radio for the free Sirius kit with the Sigma antenna is being installed? I nosed around in a couple of obvious areas, but didn't find it. What I've been thinking of doing is putting in a sharkfin antenna and placing an external Sirius antenna underneath the sharkfin.

When I originally saw the Sigma antenna. I was sure that it was an integrated unit, with the radio built-in. But all that is coming out of it is a very thin coax lead. The antenna is really ugly, and has many more drop out problems than the roof antenna ( XM ) on my old car.

Next question - Is the ten digit truncation of title and artist name a problem of the MFD, the Sirius radio, or the interface?

Sy Cohen

4. Wyidelode

Wyidelode New Member

I just picked up my brand spanking new Prius. I have a grand total of 15 miles. Now for window tinting and I was thinking of Serius radio. I think if I go to Al & Ed's Autosound, where they want $600 to install a system which is supposed to be a seamless fit with the system already there (Package 3). the other alternative is to pick up one of those portable devices I see at costco for $119.
    What do you folks advise?

5. Wyidelode

Wyidelode New Member

Does anyone here have an answer for me?
    Al & Ed's Autosound, here in Sherman Oaks. CA. has told me that for $595 (I have3 a 15% discount as a teacher, so that would be just over $500), I can have a top of line Sirius installation which will integrate seamlessly with my Package 3 audio system, and I assume that means it will display the Sirius programming on the display panel, is that right? Where is the antenna installed? Are there any porential bugs in the system?

6. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm looking for an answer too. If you do the install, please let me know. Input, anyone?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 2 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]265012[/snapback]</div>
    If it's like the integrated XM radio, it seems to be the radio itself.

8. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wyidelode @ Jun 4 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]265530[/snapback]</div>
    From this forum...

There appears to be a problem with noise and the sirius installation. These installations use the receiver and install kit from the Toyota Solara. The noise has been reported most with the Base Radio (as in the Pkg 3).

A dealer in San Diego has been reported to have solved the problem by adding a jumper to the receiver. No reports as to where that jumper was installed.

The standard Sirius install for the Solara comes with the Sigma Antenna which installs in the interior surface of the windshield.

You can install any roof mount Sirius antenna. You can also install an antenna on the dashboard with very good results. I have personally found that XM antennas work well as well.

Toyota has been reported as to having an "offical" Sirius install kit by December 2006 for the Prius.

9. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 4 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]265572[/snapback]</div>

Bob Baker Toyota in San Diego told me mid July for Sirius Kit

10. Smooth Operator

I had great hopes for having an integrated Sirius radio. But I ended up getting a plug and play type unit for a few reasons.

First, I didn't like the 10 character truncation on the Toyota display. Aside from the loss of information, I just felt that it showed either bad planning by Toyota or inconsideration by Toyota.

Second, I decided it was important for me to have Sirius not only in my Prius, but in other locations. Getting the built-in system means having Sirius only in the car.

I first bought an Audiovox PnP2 and put it in my Prius.

I then picked up a second car kit and could then move the receiver between my car and my wife's vehicle.

I then got a house kit, so that we could have Sirius on the home stereo.

Then a boombox, so we could take the Sirius into the back yard or other places.

Finally, when I put the second car kit into my wife's vehicle, I installed it in a manner that it would be easy to take out. We could then take the Sirius with us when we went to Mexico for vacations and use it in a vehicle there. I paid less for all of this than I would have for an installed model.

Although we still have the Audiovox PnP2, I now also have an S50. It allows me to take up to 50 hours of recorded Sirius radio with me wherever I go.

I found the flexibility of the plug and play type system to provide far more value than the value of the integration.

11. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the input S.O., Just curious where you installed the antenna, do you have a permanent bracket and if so where is it installed, and how well does FM transmitter work? Thanks