1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite radio voiding warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by preludedude, Jan 10, 2006.

1. preludedude

preludedude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just picked up my new Prius, and another dealer is selling Prius "compatible" (it's for the Solara) units. When I told the dealer that I was planning on doing it, they freaked out and said that doing so would void the warranty on the Prius radio and I'd be screwed. However, the dealership selling the units says they have had no problems at all. Can anyone offer any advice or share their experiences? I really want to have Sirius, but I don't want to get raked over the coals should something go wrong.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I also would rather have Sirius because I already have it in another vehicle, and I would get a multi-unit subscription discount. However, my understanding is that the Sirius units are crippled when used with the Prius in that they will only display 10 digits on the screen. Assuming that this does not fixed... and assuming that I get some confirmation that the Toyota XM receiver displays full text... then it looks like I will be switching to XM :(

I believe it will be introduced as an option in a couple of months.

/Jim

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, according to the law, adding Sirius to your Prius will NOT void the warranty, on the radio or any other parts. Now if something goes wrong with the radio, your dealer may be a PITA and say it's not covered. Someplaces do that, and some are relly cool about it. You could get a lawyer and win against the dealership, but that would likely cost more than just the part. If you were really worried about it, just remove the part if something goes wrong and then take it in. It should just plug into the back of the radio. If it craps out, unplug and remove the box, and they wont know.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's ridiculous. Unless and until your XM does some damage to the original radio that can be clearly traced back to either faulty product or faulty installation it can't, by law, affect any part of your warranty. Mangnuson-moss act is your friend here.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    efusco beat me to it.
    For example, if the Sat Radio had a short circuit and fried the OE radio as well, then your warranty is voided. If anything bad happened to the OE and the dealer cannot pin point the cause to the Sat radio, your warranty is intact.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The XM units also only display 10 "digits". I don't think there is any way around this limitation.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get an '06 with the upgraded MFD :)

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember, if the sun and moon are visible at the same time and you drive your Prius, the warranty will be voided. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

9. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all who answered the question about satellite radio voiding the warranty. The dealer I bought it from was adamant that installing anything - like XM or Sirius - through the display would void the radio warranty, and pointed out that since the display is the brains of the whole operation, it would be hard to tell what OTHER things having sat radio could destroy, then not cover under warranty.
    I will say that Metro Toyota, who is willing to sell the unit, WILL NOT install the unit because, like the dealer I bought the Prius from (Motorcars in Cleveland), there is a possibility that the warranty would be voided should something go wrong. I'll have to look up the law that Fusco was talking about to see what the deal is.
    Motorcars said that the demand for satellite radio on the Prius is HUGE, and Toyota really screwed up by not offering it as an option. However, the dealer is considering allowing XM units from that Coastaletech to be delivered to the dealer and installed by them, and allowing the warranty to remain intact.
    I love my Prius, but I also love satellite radio, and getting it is turning into a real headache. However, I'm at the point where I say, f*** it, and just get it.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where to begin...
    1)The radio head unit is not the "brains of the whole operation"....it's a radio/stero and that's it. It does interface with the multi-display, but even that isn't important to the functioning of the car...it can be driven without the MFD installed at all.

2)The XM Unit for Solara is exactly the same thing sold by Coastaletech, and your dealer, and PriusXM and several other outlets. They're specifically designed to plug into the head unit on your car. Buy the cheapest one you can find and install it yourself. I'll take an hour of your time or so but will get you much closer to your car.

3)If you have an '06 and want to wait a little bit Toyota should/will be offering an XM unit "approved" for the Prius that should allow an expanded character display. And since it's officially approved they won't be able to claim any warranty issues. But there are none anyway so I consider that point mute.

Magnuson-Moss Act

11. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I picked up my silver '06 package 8 last friday night in Orange County Ca. Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita, a Roger Penske company, installed Sirius as an aftermarket option (for free, with 9 months of service for free). It was offered over the phone when the manager called me to let me know my car was in, and only took 45 min after they completed the PDI (it took some time for the antennae glue to set up..)

The install is perfect, and the only thing you see is the triangular antennae, which is on the inside of the windsheild, above and to the right of the rearview mirror. The fleet manager assured me that installation of Sirius did not, in any way, effect the warranty of the car and/or stereo equipment.

The screen limitation of # of characters is only truly evident when you go to the text screen, to display the song/artist. Otherwise, you can see the channels and their names perfectly. I get 3 pages with 6 presets each, for a total of 18.

I definitely recommend the service, especially at the dealership I went to!

12. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go ahead and install it yourself. I ordered one from Metro TPN and installed it about two weeks ago. It really wasn't that hard. It might take you two hours or so, but only because you'll be very careful about rereading all the instructions step by step about 5 times.

The dash board parts just snap off. After having done it once already, I was able to remove all the dash board parts of my wife's Prius, install a Dension ice>Link, and then put everything back together in about 30 minutes.

However, when I installed the XM radio in my Pruis, it was my first time taking everything apart, and that along with the extra effort of running the wires to the trunk and mounting the radio and antenna back there, took me about two hours. I bet I could do it in under an hour now.

Here's a really, really good set of instructions on how to take the dash apart:

http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf

And here's the link to Metro TPN's instructions for installing the XM radio: (you have to right click on this one and choose "Save Target As...")

https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Fi...sXMradio3.2.pdf

13. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Evan,

Do you know for sure that the XM option offered by Toyota will overcome the 10 charachter limit? It is worth the wait if the "official" solution is done right. I think the owners manual claims 32 bit if I remember right.

I have only had my Prius for less than a day now... and commercial radio is driving me nuts. Once you have moved to satellite radio... there is no going back.

I think that I will burn a few MP3 CDs to use in the meantime... I need to find some use for the "useless" 6 CD changer. Once I get the satellite radio hooked up, I will probably never use the CD again... except when in area of very poor satellite coverage such as deep mountain canyons with little sky visibility.

Or maybe I'll just connect my iPod as an interim solution... although I really dislike the clutter of wires.

/Jim

14. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

15. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your help. So the way it is now, whether you get XM or Sirius, you are limited to 10 character display? Or is it indeed different on the "06s?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the '06 owner's manual the display limit will be 32 Characters. If you're asking me to guarantee that that will be the case I won't, but waiting 2 months to find out seems reasonable to me.