1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jennjay, May 8, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I saw in my 06 manual that xm is an option. I called the dealer and he said $699.00 for install. I asked him if it could also be installed in my wife's 05 also. He said if there is no satellite button ( none on 05) then it could not be done. I asked him about factory interactive and that their radios work on 04-06, He said to be careful due to the warranty. My question is " is he full of it?" or should I get the radio from him for my 06 for double the price?( I could get one for my wife and one for me from FI for about the same $$) Any disadvantage to FI's radios ( which I understand are Solara parts)? Thanks for any advice.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If it were me, I'd go with the one from Factory Interactive. Others have done that and are happy with the results. The same holds true with the one Coastal Tech sells.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ May 8 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]251440[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine for my '05 from www.metrotpn.com. It's the same Solara radio and I installed it myself. I've had it for 5 months now and it works great.

Some complain that the text display only displays the first 10 characters. That hasn't bothered me much, since I rarely have the text up on screen and when I do, the 10 characters has been enough for me.

4. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ May 8 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]251440[/snapback]</div>

I tossed this idea around for quite a while, trying to get the best solution. In the end, I bought
    the Pac device from Sigma, and an XM Roady at Walmart. I did not want an integrated
    solution. So, I just used an aux-input solution. Of course, for the 2006, you
    don't need a Pac interface for the aux-in solution, you alread have an aux-in jack.
    You can use any xm radio.
    On my 2005 (with no factory aux-in jack) I wanted to be able to see full display
    on the XM screen, all the time, which has it's advantages, leaving the Toyota MFD to it's use
    for fuel management and monitoring. I can see stock quotes and artist information,
    and other information, not needing to change my Toyota MFD display to get XM information,
    as with a factory XM installation.
    The Pac interface came with the correct cable for my 2005 Prius, even though some Pac sellers
    say it does not work. It works perfectly, and allows me to input directly to the rear of the radio, so I don't have to use a noisy modulator.
    I used Sigma for the Pac purchase because all the other sources did not have a clue as to the
    compatablity or what interface cable to use.
    Works great for my 2005 and the total cost was below 150.00 INCLUDING the xm radio.
    I did my own installation.
    The antenna was not a difficult install above the headliner, then out to roof near the hatchback.
    I am going to mount the Roady on the bottom most plastic cover (the cover which touches the carpet)
    and hide the XM lighter plug behind that cover and hard wire it to the lighter socket. (It supplies
    6 vdc to the Roady from the 12 vdc lighter socket.
    You must, however, have a device to pull the antenna wire. I removed the rear dome light
    (no screws to remove) and pulled the antenna cable through, after removing the headliner
    snap-in retainers (2) at the rear of the headlinger. To do this I cut off about a yard of a metal tape
    measure tape and put some scotch tape on end of it so it would not grab insulation,
    and fished the line from the
    rear of the car, to the dome light hole, then over to the right rear door area.
    Installation help is available on this site on
    how to plug in the Pac device and remove other panels on the car to fish the antenna wire.
    The Pac device will fit under the radio behind the dash, just lays there perfectly. Use the proceedure
    archive on this site.
    Rod
    PS: If you don't mind the antenna wire showing, the XM antenna works great placed on top of the
    instrument panel. I used it that way for months.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 8 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]251473[/snapback]</div>
    Same here, almost. I ordered my XM kit from www.metrotpn.com for $250 for my 2006. Rather than try installing it myself, however, I had a Toyota alarm/audio guy install it for me onsite at my work in ~45 minutes for $200. So $450 in all for everything. Much less than the $600-700 quotes I was getting at local audio places for the kit + install. Couldn't be happier with my XM radio!

6. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought my from Coastal and the instructions were very clear. Installation took about 2 1/2 hours, due to putting the connection into the back of the radio. The only flaw is the 10 character limit for the title and artist otherwise it's perfect.

7. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Their warranty BS is just that. I've got the Factory Interactive. Excellent install instructions on DVD. Took about 2 hours to install. It plugs into the back of the MFD. I've been with XM since the beginning so the 10 character limitation doesn't bother me. I'm driving, not reading.

8. BobR

BobR Member

9. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota is supposed to have their built-in XM Radio option available to dealers for install by mid to late May.

Tuner is to cost $199 and the mounting kit $100. Of course all this does NOT include installation that Toyota estimates at 1-1/2 hours which seems too low.

When Toyota first announced the XM availability, it was scheduled to be available by March. Now, two months later, we're still waiting.

I have an order in for my XM, but am not holding my breath for this month! :huh:

10. jenlynmc

jenlynmc New Member

Same experience! I bought my Prius on March 15 and was told the XM was available. They "ordered" it and I paid for it. I haven't seen it yet. I have emailed Toyota, filled out surveys in a negative manner, and even got a call from an indignant sales rep about the negative survey. That was a REALLY nice touch--I called the dealership about that one! I am still waiting because I want the integrated unit. Toyota website still says it will be available in April 2006.