1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satellite radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jayselle, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2005 Prius package #3. No navigation or JBL audio.

I want xm or sirius radio, however, I don't want wires hanging down, FM modulation, and I want it to integrate with my existing radio.

I noticed coastel tech has a solution for $299. If I remember right coastel tech doesn't have the best track record with shipping or customer service. Is this still true?

http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm

I look in the electronics forum but there isn't much traffic.

What solutions are you using for satelite radio?

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Nov 24 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]353727[/snapback]</div>
    I got the Toyota factory installation of my XM radio on the car before I picked it up, but that is, by far, the most expensive way to go.

If you install it yourself, a bit of a job depending upon your "handiness" level, you'll save a bunch more. The satellite system plugs into the back of your present radio so you have to remove some panels to get to that, but it isn't major. I'm not sure how it is powered so getting 12 volts to it may be a further difficulty. The antenna, as far as I'm concerned, will be the biggest problem. It works best outside and you'll have to work out a pathway for its wire from the radio. You can get it to work inside, but this is second-best. Others who have done this installation will, I'm sure, add some notes to this.

I prefer the XM system because of its programming. It has things I can't get on Sirius but this is a matter of taste. Check their listings to see which you prefer. The ongoing costs are about the same. I have it in my house also and they have a pricing scheme that offers discounts for additional subscriptions. I'm not sure if Sirius does. I use the XM radios more than TV.

Coastal works perfectly if they have the item you want in stock. If not, and this is just from reports I've gleaned here, you can wait forever until they do, with little or no capability to contact them or get information. I'd contact them via e-mail (phone is problematic) to see their stocking status. When they send it to you, you'll get a little bag of jelly beans to cherish the moment. Good luck.

3. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    try www.factoryinteractive.com

I put their XM into my 2005 and it completely integrated into the system. It's easy to install, and their instructional DVD is aces.

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Nov 24 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]353727[/snapback]</div>
    Do a Search for "no antenna needed?" That thread pretty well covers it for you.
    Gary

5. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the replies.

The coastal tech option is $299 which is the same price as the factory inactive one.

The factory interactive states it allows for 16 characters where the coastal one requires the ultimate unlock device.

Does anyone have the ultimate unlock? I am interested in adding a backup camera, ipod interface, and dvd player. Does this device actually work as stated?

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Nov 24 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]353727[/snapback]</div>
    I'm using a Pioneer Airware portable XM radio. It doesn't have the display on the MFD, but it's cheaper, can be moved from car to car (built-in antenna as well as one for regular use) or even to your house. In my case it's good that the display (18 characters) is separate from the MFD, so I can use the MFD for other information.

If the cost were the same I might've gone with the built-in, but I was also misled as to how involved the installation process was.

For the record, Metro Toyota sells the same unit for $250, and it also has a free 90-day XM service, same as Coastal. In addition, TERK/Audiovox sells one for $99, but only 10 characters.

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Nov 24 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]353793[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked the Factory Interactive site and it said it only allows for 10 characters. So where did you see they said 16 characters?

8. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Dec 14 2006, 04:59 AM) [snapback]362080[/snapback]</div>
    The only way I've read of to get an MFD integrated Sirius setup into a Prius with more than 10 characters
    on the Artist/Title display is to get the Vais SLS and pair it with a Tuner other than the Sirius Connect (made by Audiovox, I believe). Vais claims that their SLS interface works with a Pioneer & Eclipse and one other out-board tuner.....check with vais-tech.com to see what they say (BTW, this seems like it could be an expensive option).

To my knowledge, the Toyota parts (sold by parts departments such as metrotpn.com) and the Factory Interactive kits all use the same SiriusConnect Tuner (Audiovox?). It is this tuner that has the 10 character limitation (unless some newer release of it has an upgrade). This is frustrating because Sirius actually broadcasts something like 32 characters for each line of data......aftermarket head units that work with sirius tuners will often have scrolling displays that show all of this (a Kenwood unit I have used to).

Why can't someone offer the integrated Sirius tuner with all the data displayed, or even have it scroll if it can't fit the display??? Vais tried to claim (a while ago) that this was a limit of the Prius MFD....but that's just false....I noted the display showing a title line with 30+ characters and a track line with 20+ characters while
    displaying content off a CD Text encoded CD.....so the display seems capable.

Sorry for the rant....

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know, it makes no sense for them not to have a scrolling displays like many portable units have. What were they thinking by not having this?

10. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Dec 14 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]362108[/snapback]</div>
    The limitation is the XM or Sirius Tuner, not the radio display.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Dec 15 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]362709[/snapback]</div>
    And why is this so hard to fix? Expecially when portable units can do it.

We pay more for integrated tuners and get less from them. Makes no sense to me!