1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Satisfying numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LDB, Sep 6, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know the optomismeter on the dash is to be taken with a gram of salt but I liked it anyway. I brought my car home and then later went to pick up a pizza. I didn't think to look when I got there but when I got home it said 1.8 miles 56.8mpg. I'm sure the real number is less but even 20% less would be 45.4mpg and 25% less would be 42.6mpg. I'd take either one for that drive. I hope the optomismeter isn't more than 25% inaccurate.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice, it's only a few mpg's less.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After the newness wears off, try comparing your trip meter distance against mile markers or GPS for 100 miles. I found the distance error to track with the MPG error per tank.

Due to an unfortunate puncture, we replaced the original tires with ones whose REVs/mile fixed the indicate miles and speed. It also cured the Indicated MPG vs tank error.

Bob Wilson

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You may have mentioned this elsewhere earlier, but if you did, I missed. Care to repeat which brand was original and what you replaced them with? With 35k miles already on the OEM Goodyear tires, I'm expecting to need tires soon after our next trip.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The error is only ~7%. Enjoy the highs and don't get bummed over the lows.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am running Yokohamas because the Sumotomo was changed and no longer available at 51 psi. But the method is more important.

Tire Rack posts the REVs/mile so I picked the 15" Yoko whose slower turning corrected the odometer error. That also fixed the tripmeter indicated MPG vs tank measured error. Now my GPS and indicated speeds are all but identical.

Bob Wilson

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hah. Tanked up last night at my favourite gas station: a Chevron at west end of Barnet highway. Noted odometer, reset trip meter, and headed east. The next km are two are a relentless downgrade, and the speed limit is a modest 80 kmh.

After the hwy: a lot of reasonably level streets at 50 kmh limit. And this is late evening, light traffic.

Engine fully warmed, babying it, using a lotta cruise, rolled into the garage at "displayed" 2.7 litres per 100 km. Which is just nuts: translates to 87 mpg.

As mentioned above, that'll be high by around 7%, and more importantly: has about as much hope of longevity as a snowball in heck.

But as you say it sure feels good. :)

8. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If mine is also 7% that would mean about 52.8 for a 1.8 mile drive on an engine that was luke warm at best. I'll take that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.