1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sattellite Radio worth it?Which type?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by radtech, Dec 16, 2005.

1. radtech

radtech New Member

I'm thinking of getting XM radio. I don't know if is worth the $300 to get the "factory" look or to get the Roady II or something like that. Any ideas??

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not worth it, in my opinion. If you are in your car for long periods at a time, especiallly long highway trips, it may help with boredom since there's so many channels and channel surfing gives you something to do.

I had Sirius and cancelled it, but enjoyed it when I drove Chicago-Houston round trip twice. Around town I found it a distraction and didn't use it. I have XM music channels now with direcTV and don't feel they're any better, just different.

The factory look is better. In addition to using the screen for easier readout you can use the steering controls - a big advantage. The disadvantage is you can't use the system in your house without paying for another receiver and service, whlle the more portabe style can be carried in and out (a real pain,but an option). In the house satellite radio is less useful, since they vary the style of music they play often, even on the same channel, resulting in too much channel flipping when things I dont' like come on. In the car, i'ts muce easier to flip.

I wouldn't buy either service again unless I spent the majority of the time in the car. I'd buy based on hardware price and features. XM is better off financially, Sirius is well capatalized but unsure financially.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's totally worth it. I love having such a diverse selection to listen to based on my passengers, my mood, time of day, whatever. I like that I don't have to change stations when I travel.

To me it's like having cable TV in the car...without a picture.

The Roady II and such are nice if you want to be able to use a single reciever for in home, jam box, IPOD like portable, etc. If you think you'll listen primarily in your car the integrated is very convenient to use since you can access via the steering wheel controls and MFD and such.

Roady II are available very very cheaply right now, depending on the exact wording of the contract it might be worth getting one and then, if you like it, upgrading to the integrated unit.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went with a Pioneer Airware portable XM radio. I did that for the same reasons some have a portable GPS system vs the built-in NAV like cost, options and portability. The Pioneer comes with a car kit and home kit so it's easy to use in both places (I use it more in the car, but my wife has used it at home), plus it has a built-in antenna to use outside (a nice feature). I also am able to have the XM display, plus the NAV screen (or Consumption screen). Delphi has one that's similar.

I admit that if the factory one was cheaper I'd lean toward that more as it would be integrated with the MFD and the steering wheel. You don't have to worry about getting the sound from the XM to the radio (with the Pioneer I use the cassette adapter or the built-in FM transmitter) and I'm sure the sound quality would be better with the built-in. Of course, if you have the '06 you can use the aux input. As I don't live in the Prius, the fact that I could use it in other places appealed to me.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have XM and absolutely love it. I got sick of having the choice of what batch of commercials were being played on what station, with the odd song thrown in to say that they were actually playing music. IMO, XM is a better provider as they seem to dig deeper within the various generes of music that they play. I've heard that Sirius has alot more repetition. As to what you want as a player, this will depend on what you ultimately want. Factory look systems are obviously better in the regards of not having chords hanging around in the car, but it loses the portability of the system. I have a Sky-Fi receiver, and it moves between all of my vehicles. In this way, I have one subscription that services all vehicles. This is not possible with in dash systems.

6. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A financial view:

From Forbes Online: "Bear Stearns research analyst Robert Peck said he expects XM Satellite Radio to continue to gain subscribers in the fourth quarter due to its upfront cost, which is lower than that of competitor Sirius.

"'Contrary to some expectations that Howard Stern would completely skew market share in Sirius’ favor in the retail market this quarter, we find that XM is holding ground primarily due to the lower priced radios,'" wrote the analyst in a recent research note.

"The research analyst maintained an 'outperform' rating and $40 price target on the stock. XM’s strategy this quarter is not spending on advertising, but focusing its marketing efforts on reducing the receiver price where the marketing dollar immediately translates into a subscriber.

"'While a die-hard Howard Stern fan or a core football and basketball fan may take Sirius regardless of the receiver price and irrespective of how much advertising XM does, the undecided consumer could very well take XM because of the lower upfront cost,' said Peck.

"The analyst feels confident that both XM and Sirius will be able to meet his expectations as they continue to add subscribers at a rapid pace throughout the fourth-quarter."

7. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the "Factory" install.. wish I only had to pay 300 for it.. I like XM and have two units, the car and as SKy Fi 2 for the office..

You might want to wait and see what the next model has to offer that I think is coming out in March. The current "Factory" install will only display 10 chars. I just might have to upgrade?

I like the "Factory" unit because
    1 I can say Sat 1 and bring up page one of my pre-sets
    2 I can use the steering controls to nav between the presets on that page
    3 no wires.. well there is the ANT..

Just my thoughts

8. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have XM and also feel it is definitely worth it. I have used both a separate radio, the Roady2 and the PriusXM installed to work with the MFD in my 2005. I definitely think the integrated unit is the way to go, as long as you only need the unit in the car or are willing to pay for a second subscription. Being able to change the channels from the steering wheel buttons and seeing the program information on a large screen is much less distracting. In heavy traffic, I think that advantage is very significant if you tend to change channels often.

Good point about waiting for the unit being released by Toyota for the 06 Prius and getting more than 10 characters per line. That's my plan for my 2006. Not sure if the current limitation is with the XM radio or the 04-05 MFD, so waiting is best for now.

9. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Go to listen.xmradio.com and get the 3 day free online listening trial... I got XM for Opie and Anthony, but that's just me.

10. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have XM. Definitely worth it for me. I spend about 3.5 - 4 hours per day in the car.

11. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is my understanding it is a unit limit... does the same thing on the other cars/SUV too.

I sure hope the newer unit is not 450+ a nice under 200 would be great.

later