1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saturn Aura non-hybrid long term test at Edmunds

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Oct 28, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/categor...007SaturnAuraXR

I haven't had a chance to read all of it in detail yet, but they've had their car since ~July 30, 2007. It looks like they've had numerous problems w/the steering column shroud (which sounds like it's a design flaw from http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9f889), hydraulic whine from the power steering, sticking shift paddle, misaligned and improperly lubed sunroof, and a blistered windshield gasket.

On Sept 17, 2007 they said "Alas, the Altima is still my preferred cup of tea (the Earl Grey if you will), as I greatly prefer its steering. The Aura's inconsistent materials quality, shoddy fit and finish, and missing features (rear center arm rest, for example) keep it several steps behind. I'm eager to see how much the related 2008 Malibu improves upon these attributes"

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    GM appears to have improved the Aura since Edmunds got their 2007 vehicle. CR give it a score of 62 and put the 2008 XE V6 on its recommended list. Reliability is listed as very good. Interestingly, the XR V6 scores a 70 but reliability is lower at fair. Both models get fair mileage, around 20 which is normal for Detroit 3 sedans. Remember how GM billed Saturn as "not just another car company"? Then they dismantled the Saturn way of doing things, took Spring Hill out of the picture and now builds Saturns all over the country at regular GM UAW plants so Saturn is, effectively, just another car company now, alas. The regular UAW doesn't have the spirit and the attitude that made Saturn a successful alternative to Japanese cars so I wouldn't buy a Saturn now if they paid me.