1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saturn Vue two-mode dead, Chevrolet Equinox hybrid unlikely to hit until 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks to PriusChat forum members cwerdna and JSH, we now know that GM has elected to kill off the Saturn two-mode hybrid Vue that was slated for production last November (but delayed). GM has also decided to rid its lineup of the Chevy Malibu Hybrid, a model that increased fuel efficiency by a pretty pathetic 1 MPG highway. Isn't it about time for GM to kill off all of their silly "half" hybrids and focus their wasting of government money on the Volt? Saturn Vue two-mode dead, Chevrolet Equinox hybrid unlikely to hit until 2011 GM to drop Malibu Hybrid for 2010

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't blame GM for not wanting to give Penske's Saturn their best hybrid. The delay in the Equinox hybrid is probably due to GM's unwillingness to divert people from the Volt program to redesign the Vue's 2-mode system for the new engines in the Equinox.

I suspect the Aura hybrid will also be cancelled as it has not been mentioned in Saturn's sales agreements with Penske.

In other GM hybrid news, the Malibu hybrid has also been cancelled: GM to drop Malibu Hybrid for 2010

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some of us had a chance to test drive the Saturn VUE two-mode in January and it is a nice, small or CRV style vehicle. However, I felt the engine was too large ... unless you are going after the 'tow a boat' crowd.

We had an interesting and informative discussion with one of the engineers but we'll cover that another day. But I will share that he was faced with decisions by upper management that showed in January 2009, they believed:

• hybrids are 'for show' - the management at that time could not conceive of any other reason than 'bragging rights' for anyone to buy a hybrid or any 'green' vehicle
    There are some very bright and skilled engineers in the old GM led off a cliff by some management whom I have no respect for.

Bob Wilson

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

General Motors Corp. has pulled the plug the hybrid-electric version of the Chevrolet Malibu sedan for the 2010 model year due to slow sales that has led to a backlog of inventory of the vehicles on dealer lots.

A GM spokesman said the company made the decision because of a "sufficient stock of 2009s," and said starting up production in the near future is "possible, but not likely." The company will continue to make hybrid versions of the Malibu for fleet buyers, but it is uncertain if GM will ever produce the Malibu hybrid for retail consumers ever again.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you serious??? Here, in fine print, the ad says "Limited Availability"

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They made very few of them but do to dealers insisting on MSRP most of the time they also sold very few.

I did inquire into price for a friend, the additude was "its MSRP because its a hybrid". So the hybrid premium for the Malibu was much higher as the standard one was easy to get $2000 off.

They needed to kill it or give it a six speed trans, the non hybrid six speed essentially gets the same highway mpg.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the Prius is offering discounts (because it's in its final year) and in fact there are a few light discounts on the new Insight in the US.

8. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Malibu Hybrid wasn't sold in all markets so in much of the country it was never available at all. On the GM.com Hybrid page the fine print says:

"Select markets include the following cities: Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Phoenix, Boston, Sacramento."

GM | Hybrid Cars, SUVs & Trucks - Hybrid Technology

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "Creep me out" interview. At 2:40 into the video, GM's new leader (is that who he is?) Mr Henderson says, "there's no reason the markets shouldn't bounce back". Um, what about ever increasing fossil fuel demands, even as cheep oil supplies (purchased from countries that are filled with extreamists, that want to wipe us out) fade away ... coupled with astronomical national debt ?? No reason? Wow. Call me out to lunch. Was he joking?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, the Aura hybrid is dead too per The Associated Press: GM cancels Malibu hybrid, works on new system and GM cancels Malibu, Aura hybrids - Autos- msnbc.com.

GM Pulls Plug on Hybrid Model - WSJ.com (you may need to visit it from [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=malibu+hybrid+wall+street+journal"]403 Forbidden[/ame]) has this not so surprising quote plus another:
    What happened to Jonnycat26 and his singing the praises of GM BAS hybrids?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The old GM management dictated hybrids with these characteristics:

• weak 'auto-stop' - thinking that idle fuel burn was the secret, they reworked a heavy-duty alternator into a motor generator and a small battery pack and called it "hybrid" and the market shrugged its shoulders.
    • over-engined, two-mode - unable to understand economy, they put massive, oversized engines in their two-mode hybrids as if calling a vehicle "hybrid" was enough and the market shrugged its shoulders.
    • "hybrid" door banner - they thought painting the text "hybrid" on the vehicle was all it took and the market shrugged its shoulders.
    The old GM management was tone-deaf, totally disconnected from the reality of peak oil and dumbfounded by the Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, and Ford Escape Hybrid. The old GM management product solutions were not engineered as much as directed with the same skill that crushed the EV1. Small wonder there is an unsold inventory of old GM hybrids.

It will take the time, perhaps a 18-24 months, for the surviving, former GM engineers to 'clean house.' One thing I know for sure, they have the talent. What I don't know is if their new managers will let them 'do the right thing.' Meanwhile, there are all of these left-overs.

Bob Wilson

13. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Malibu hybrid didn't make any sense since it wasn't noticeably more fuel efficient than the base model or compared to other sedans. As Bob says, GM's approach to hybrids has been all wrong. They have not taken this sort of thing seriously with bottom up design objectives that made sense.

The problem with any re-org is that once poor management settles in, they stay until the very end. It's the bulk of the technical talent that either leaves for greener pastures or gets the axe. Top down re-orgs that work take some visionary types that are willing to slog through the tough times with a clear long term objective. To do that requires throwing a lot of deadweight/old style management off the bus and bringing in new folks that have the temperament and talent to make it work.

Having to start over every few years is a disaster. Rather than building upon what they've done and applying the lessons, they start over on another dubious plan.

14. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm losing track, but I thought the new CEO was to be Whitacre, the doofus who used to run AT&T and started the whole net-neutrality debate by saying he wasn't going to let google use his pipes for free, completely ignoring the fact that except for a few wireless freeloaders, everybody pays for their internet access. I can see it now: the volt won't charge from any electric company which doesn't pay GM for charging its cars.

15. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bob, I truly hope that GM does come out of bankruptcy a renewed, invigorated company.

I really like the looks of new 2010 Equinox and hope that they do offer a hybrid version that is capable of achieving real-world, combined gas mileage in the mid 30s. That would represent a 40% increase in gas mileage over the '10 model, 4-cylinder model. Which, by the way, gets very respectable mileage as compared to its competitors (RAV4, CR-V).

I would like to throw my support to GM by buying one of their vehicles. But, given the short-sided and arrogant attitude of GM management, causes me to question whether they've earned my trust.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GM spent years and ad dollars to convince it's buying public that hybrids were the last thing on Earth any sane GM customer should want.

I toast their success, on the way to oblivion. :tea:

17. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GM hybrids just don't get good enough gas mileage compared to other hybrids. That's their misjudgement, and undoubtedly why they are being dropped. I expect there will be some new GM hybrids with better gas mileage to compete with Ford and Toyota hybrids.

18. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think they should check the gm offices, someone is piping in stupidy gas. If this is the new GM they might as well file bankruptcy now and not waste time.

19. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am glad to see that the Internet connection in your bomb shelter is working properly. Yes, the world is in bad shape due to poor management by wealthy people who should know better, they are the cream of our society you know. The U.S. looks like an old maid that has cleaned way to many houses and her to do list is still growing. As a manager you must talk about positive things instead of all the negative things that are happening now, or may happen in the future.

20. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I will be positive when something is positive. The previous mgt ran it into the ground and now the current mgt is on the same track. If they think the 40000 volt is the answer they are crazy. People can't affort the exsisting prices let alone 40k.