1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saving energy in the future?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A new "white" LED may someday be available to replace incandescent. It could save as much as 29% of the electricity we normally use lighting with incandescents.

Quantum Light Bulbs

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

here the city works dept in charge of traffic lights have almost completed the change over to LED's. But like you are alluding to, we need to replace all incandescent lights with LED's and part of the problem is the colour shift, as soon as they get past that, I'll have them in my home. I've fully converted to florescent at this time, except for two reading lights in the bed room.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'm 100% fluorescent; three years now.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    but will better technology overcome our stupidity???

did anyone happen to catch Monday Night Football??

it was a game played in Pittsburgh. an aerial shot showed the football stadium all lit up with 60,000 screaming fans...good use of lighting as i am a football fan (only fair weather mind you AND the Seahawks are 5-2!!) but to my disgust. the baseball stadium with ZERO fans was also just as brightly lit up obviously to display itself to the nation.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they light it up just to show it off. Fenway park often has it's lights on when seemingly nothing is going on. I have a feeling they must be doing grounds work, having some sort of corporate event or something like that. I really don't see them leaving the lights on just for the fun of it.

And if we're going to compain about something like that, why not look at Times Square? How much electricity is wasted there?

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just started to switch over now. My electric bills have been getting a bit out of hand :) Mostly due to AC and my computers, but every little bit helps.

Only problem I have with them is they need something that uses less power, but can also dim.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are flourescent fixtures with balasts which can be dimmed -- they cost a bit more, but are available.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the commercial, industrial, and military areas I'm familiar with, LED's are already making huge inroads. Remember when LED's replaced bulbs in Exit lighting? Most emergency stairwell backup lights are now LED as well, they are more reliable and will also last much longer on battery.

Cost is still the primary deterrant.

9. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also seen 3-way CFL's at Home Depot now, so thats another alternative to a dimmer. You just may need to retrofit the lamp socket with a 3-way one, if it isn't already.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :angry: How did this get in this Section? Seems it belongs in "Environmental Discussion" or Fred's House of Pancakes."

11. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I've seen those. There are 3 rooms where we tend to use the dimmers. Bathroom - Nice at 3am to have it very dim.

My office - not sure why - I installed the flourescent anyway and just turn it up all the way (anyone know if it's dangerous to have it at 50% or some other setting than off or max?)

Bedroom - Same as bathroom - it's nice to be able to dim.

The 3 way's are good, but usually 50/100/150, all of which are too bright. I bet when we dim the bedroom/bathroom it's closer to 20 or 30 tops.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's here because I didn't know there was an environmental section.

And also because I was more interested in the energy savings. I.E. that if you use less electricity by using LEDs, you save gas by not having to use it to generate the electricity.

The Prius saves gas. These new lights will save gas.

It was also an interesting new and unexpected technology that will save energy. And it got me thinking what new and unexpected technology will replace the internal combustion engine. I think no matter what that will be the result will still be a hybrid. Even if they crack hydrogen, that car will be a hybrid.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dimmable CFs don't really seem to work all that well, at least
    the ones that try to discern the AC waveform coming in from an
    external triac dimmer and guess how bright to run. Integrated types
    with their own dimmer circuit probably work better and don't buzz.
    What I'm waiting for is more efficient alternatives for stage
    lighting. Traditional halogens look great but are pretty power-hungry,
    and HMI discharge has helped a little bit there but the spectral
    outputs are *way* different and give the video guys absolute fits.
    LED fixtures aren't bright enough yet, and emit a fairly uneven
    spectrum such that "white" just looks rather ... odd. And most CF
    makes everything look too yellow or green, so some work still needs
    to be done there.
    If LEDs get bright enough and fixtures use enough different combined
    color bands to get a non-peaky spectrum output, then you're talkin'.
    _H*

14. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

The best our family could do to help is to replace all our bulbs at home with CFL's...which we did this past weekend. That's why I find this thread so well timed.

When more efficient bulbs come along that do not make our house look like a carnival ride, we will surely go in that direction.

Now if I could just afford to put the solar panels on the roof...

15. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On a related note, does anyone know the point at which fluorescent's break even with their start up power consumption? I have heard that if a fluorescent is going to be off less that 45 minutes, just leave it on, as it costs more to turn it on than to leave it on for 45 minutes. In the interest of saving energy is this true or an urban myth?

In addition, did those who switch to fluorescent in your home notice an energy decrease? I have thought about getting the flourescents that plug into regular bulb fixtures, but I don't know if it is worth it.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know about the energy breakdown on length of time the light is on, but it used to be that the lifespan of a fluorescent was impacted the more it was turned on and off. I.E. it would last longer if you didn't turn it on and off a lot. Not sure if that is the case anymore.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually, the new floures dont use as much start up current. it seems to me that i heard that if you are going to be gone longer than 5 mins or less you should turn them off.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Old fluorescent lights with magnetic ballasts were actually the worst for frequent on/off cycles. The startup pulse is the worst. Not only that, if a tube in a 2 tube fixture happened to go out, the ballast would keep trying to start it until everything burned out. Expect anywhere from 8,000-14,000 hours.

Modern electronic ballasts are way better in how the starting current is managed, to not only give enough to ionize but quickly clamp as well. The applied frequency is also a few multiples higher than line, sometimes up to 20 kHz, so you don’t get that flicker that causes tension headaches. Expect 14,000-24,000 hours.

The new electronic ballasts are also smart enough to sense when a tube has gone and to disconnect. The commercial ballasts will usually have a red LED to signal a tube must be replaced or is near the end of its life.

As far as frequent on/off cycles - that really kills the life of most incandescent lamps too

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I'll holler atcha after we get our next bill. Because during this month, we will not have changed our routine at all - just the bulbs.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    keep in mind the time change will affect it though if anyone is usually home in the late afternoon