1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Savy Senior - Top New Cars for Older Drivers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sooner Al, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From the FWIW department...

Here’s their (Consumer Reports) top 25 ranking, starting with one through 25: Subaru Forester; Subaru Outback; Kia Soul; Subaru Legacy; Kia Sportage; Toyota Highlander; Toyota Prius V; Toyota RAV4; Honda Odyssey; Nissan Rogue; Honda Accord; Ford C-Max Hybrid; Hyundai Sonata; Toyota Camry; Subaru Crosstrek; Toyota Sienna; Honda CR-V; Honda Pilot; Kia Forte; Ford Escape; Toyota Corolla; Kia Sorento; Ford Flex; Hyundai Santa Fe; Hyundai Tucson.

The article...

Top New Cars for Older Drivers | HuffPost

RCO likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like the mention of easy to use, intuitive, tactile controls. Older drivers remember how it used to be, before cars became rolling smart phones.

pilotgrrl, fuzzy1 and RCO like this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +2 for the RAV4s. After our Fathers passed, I assisted the Moms getting replacement vehicles, both getting 2012s. Aside from care free reliability, the next priority was ease of ingress and egress. Sliding into/out of a vehicle is preferable to climbing up into/out or down into/out as the body looses rubber.

#3 frodoz737, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @Mendel, I remember dumb cars and dumb phones. I had a Motorola bag phone in my Saab 900 S.

And I had DynaTACs and StarTACs and a RAZR until Moto lost its way and it became MotoGoogle, then Google ditched it and the market changed.

But my Prius isn't a rolling smartphone, heaven forfend!

I can only imagine doing a chat with some ID10T careening 100 mph down some road, somewhere, asking how to factory data reset the vehicle he's driving because he can't play his game!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Oooh! I haven't seen the "ID10T" error mentioned in a long time. Nice one! How about "PEBKAC?" ;)

Prodigyplace and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The third largest cell phone manufacturer in the world behind Apple and Samsung is Huawei and they now own the a Motorola brand. BTW, I have a Huawei P9 and think it's the best I've ever had in many ways. It uses their own IMEI launcher 5.0 which is similar to iOS, though to can download any regular Android launcher from the Play Store.

7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lenovo bought Motorola. I own a Huawei Mate 9 and Nexus 6P, although I prefer Nova Launcher to EMUI. Huawei is in Plano TX, too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your so right, thanks. I got confused there because I bought SWMBO a Lenovo P3 about the same time as I got my P9. I was unsure about emui 4 but stuck with it and when it got upped to emui 5 I kinda like it. I'll try not to be jealous of your Mate 9 tho!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are quite a few very big cars there - the Highlander, the Sorento and the Santa Fe, for example. I can see the advantage of a small SUV, but those big ones are cars you have to climb into, rather than slide into as you would with, as @frodoz737 says, a Rav4. I'm not sure that would be ideal.

I think it's interesting that there are so many cars that are marketed as funky cars for The Youth which are actually ideal for old people. Here, I think the Nissan Juke would be the best example of that, but on the list, cars like the Kia Soul, Honda Pilot and Subary Crosstrek (XV in other markets) are sold as fun, surf-lifestyle cars but in real life they're bought by old people who find them easy to get in and out of.

RCO likes this.
  10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for a small SUV for my mother-in-law to replace her decrepit and peeling Honda CR-V. My father-in-law's knees and my mother-in-law's hips are pretty dodgy, so they need something of small-SUV height.

She's a nuclear physicist, but she finds the tech in my Merc and in my previous Prius a bit much, so I need to find something that's got a reversing camera and Bluetooth, but nothing else intimidating. It's really quite a challenge.

RCO likes this.
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been to Huawei's headquarters in Shenzhen a few times. It's like a Googleplex, but more enormous.

They've got their own beachside hotel, too. That's for the techs from foreign telecom companies who come for training before they roll out a Huawei network in their own countries. I haven't been in, but I'm told by Huawei employees that it's very nice.

My very old Huawei is close to death after a long and hard life, but I'll be upgrading to another one: I do like the interface, and you get a lot of functionality for the money.

The one area where Huawei loses out to Samsung is that the Mate 9 doesn't have the Galaxy Note 7's handy firelighting function.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's what lead to Scion's demise here.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I can see that. The funky young Toyota C-HR is proving very popular with old people here too.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, they are more likely to be able to afford it.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is also true. All these "lifestyle" cars aimed at twenty-somethings but costing $20,000 and up.....

When you're in your twenties, you shouldn't be spending five figures on a car. Four is a bit much.

These kids they're targeting should be (and probably are) spending what little money they have on drink and drugs.

Actually, so should the retirees.....

RCO, pilotgrrl and Trollbait like this.