1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saw Rattlesnake rattling and Cobra hissing at Reptile Show, SJ

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cycledrum, Jul 23, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First time I've seen a Rattlesnake rattling in person, at a reptile show. The handler from Loma Linda U. put it on the table. They had blown up a small balloon and fianally got it to strike the balloon and pop it. Scary stuff. I'm not scared of snakes per se, but I was sweating watching that Western Diamondback rattler.

they had a Cottonmouth, Indian Cobra (it lifted up with hood spread), Gaboon Viper (with awesome markings), Eastern Taipan, IIRC (said worst venom of all). He took the lid off and this brown Cobra raised up and hissed. That was scary too. He was tapping it on the tail. He knows what he's doing. No Black Mamba though. I'll bet you couldn't lift the lid from one of those, yikes.

Of course tons of colorful snakes for sale at the show, also lizards and turtles. Was cool to see.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must have been in slytherin house.

1 person likes this.
  3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love snakes. Smooth skin. :)

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the photo set area, a young girl was having her pic taken with one of those 10 ft albino (yellow and white) constrictors. Once the guy set the snake on her lap, it held a pose, mugging for the camera. They had a 2ft alligator too, with jaws taped shut. :)

Had a 4 week old Red Tail Boa hanging on my forearm for over an hour at a reptile society meeting the other night. Snake thought my arm was a tree limb.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've experienced rattlers in person, even in my yard and a small one in my garage. They don't bother me as long as I'm out of striking range and I have some room to move. It's the rattlers you don't see that are the problem.:D

I've also watched snake charmers working their craft in India and Morocco. They gave me the creeps, big time. Nothing between me and the Cobras except a very few feet.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There's a regular trade show near me where the public can buy those venomous animals.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Wow
    Why would anyone want a poisonous animal as a pet?
    Like owning a Lion without the mammalian "it looks like me" aspect.
    We have garter snakes in our backyard-
    We have an agreement-they leave me alone-I leave them alone
    I wouldn't make the same deal with a moccasin or rattler

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These people were from Loma Linda University and were there to educate and put on a little show. They study the snakes and venoms. Guy was saying that venom is used to make some medicines for humans.

It's illegal to own a venemous snake. Would need a special permit anyway. Any responsible reptile person would highly discrourage having a venemous snake.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. When they're out of the cage, making noises, acting aggresive, makes me sweaty and scared. I've seen videos of cuckoo villagers in places like Thailand 'fighting' (taunting) King Cobras at 'tournaments' for prize or money I suppose. Look on Youtube. Nuts.

10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Cycledrum
    Thanks-that makes sense.Anti venom requires venom(injected in small doses into some animal I guess then harvesting the antibodies-plasma or serum)Suppose you could use humans to make anti venom, but I doubt that would be done in a 1st world country. Pretty sure folks are attempting to directly use venom in other ways
    Charlie

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly why they put on these exhibits. For people like you who never get to see such creatures in really life. :)

Despite my work as a land manager I rarely see rattlesnakes. I do see garter snakes and racers often enough though. I have a snake phobia like Indiana Jones so I don't mind not seeing snakes in the wild.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Snake phobia or healthy fear is good. Better than an amateur trying to catch a rattler, then ends up getting bit. Guess sometimes they need to be moved off the road. I hear they end up in vineyards up North and it's a problem many like to kill them. Then the Gopher population goes up and they damage the vines.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is an interesting cycle. That is why i love ecology! :D

If I could just tone down my initial squeal of fear then I'd be ok. As it is, my co-worker freaks out because I screech so loud and high pitched. It's rather embarrassing to see a full grown man in Carhartts and a cowboy hat squeal like a little girl. lol

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It varies by state and locality. One town near me bans ferrets. New Jersey requires permits for ferrets and nearly everything else beyond dogs cats. Except for garters and boas, they also ban the ownership of wild type colored snakes. To be legal in NJ, your cornsnake needs to be an albino.

I personally have no need for have a venomous snake for a pet, but have known people with rattlesnakes and gaboon vipers. As long as owners are responsible and provide a certain level of decent care, I say it's a free country. Much of the captive breeding of persevation of endangered species is happening in private collections. Bans on potentially dangerous animals will also fall on some dog breeds.

How do you tell a black rat snake from a black racer?
    Pick it up.
    If it doesn't bite, it's a rat.
    If it does, it's a racer. :)

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That applies to yellow-bellied racers too! EEK! :eek:

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the ones you don't see that cause the pain:D

Considering where you work, I would be willing to bet that a lot of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_oreganus"]Crotalus oreganus[/ame] oreganus, (AKA Northern Pacific Rattlesnake) have seen you.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without a doubt. The ones I have seen were always in the foothills. In the grassland areas it's usually garters and racers. When in snaky country I tend to wear my double-front Carhartt canvas pants and my boots. Not the best protection but it's better than shorts and sandals. :D

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard that. Saw youtube video of lady tending plants, got bit by rattler. Her hand looked awfully swollen in hospital, 3 days stay. eeek.

I'll post the video. Warning it's a little disturbing, couple bad words. If anyone wants it removed, just say so. Be careful where you stick hands and feet... at least it's not like Jimmy Kimmel who totally faked a snake bite on a show in 2006 IIRC.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen and heard plenty of rattlesnakes. Actually got struck at while jumping rocks on the Yuba River. Once you hear one, you will never forget the sound. My dogs cornered a 42 inch one next to my house. I was sorry about killing it but had too many kids around to let it be.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Yuba rivers are definitely rattlesnake country. :)