1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saw the Alu wheels last weekend - wow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, May 5, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was waiting for my first 5K service at my dealer saturday and I noticed
    some 2006 models (they still had the protective white plastic sheets on them)
    had sexy wheels that didn't look like the ones on my 2006. I asked what
    they were and they told me they were the aluminium wheels. They looked
    sporty, no plastic on them I think. Wish I had my camera on me.

I didn;t know they were an option.

Oh by the way, I saw the magnetic grey in person today.
    It's a very nice color but I prefer my Pine Mica.

-Adriano

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ May 5 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]250497[/snapback]</div>
    All the cars have Aluminum wheels on them. In stock form in the US, they also come with the ugly plastic cover on them that can be popped off. So... you have those same wheels too! Just pop the silly covers off. Unless.... they've changed something without telling anybody? Doubt it.

Is this what you saw?
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_wheel_trim.htm

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

No "factory" option wheels for U.S. Prius. You probably saw a "dealership" option. They can offer just about anything they want out of the Toyota parts book, and lots of Scion wheels fit the Prius.

4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The SE dealers do offer an upgrade wheel package. I remember seeing that they had it installed on ALL the cars as a default, and the dealer has to remove the option before the car hits port. The price was outrageous though.
    17" EFPC wheels with Pirelli tires = $1559

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ May 5 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]250574[/snapback]</div>
    The OP is from San Francisco, CA, definitely not in the SE region.

6. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 5 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]250518[/snapback]</div>

hmm... not sure. The service tech explained that I had the steel wheels and those were the aluminium ones.
    He might have been smoking something. Next trip to the dealer I'll take some photos....

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'm in a confession mood. I like the look *with* the cover quite a bit more. Occasionally I see designs I like more than the stock Prius, but not too often And I think it is never on a sports or pseudo-sports car.

8. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ May 6 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]250497[/snapback]</div>

look anythin like the weels on this car ??
    http://www.toyota.no/cars/new_cars/Prius/gallery.asp
    standard alloy rims in Norway

Cheers
    Andreas

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ May 7 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]251057[/snapback]</div>
    In the meantime please post some pix of *your* wheels. Betcha a nickel they're the OEM aluminum wheels and not steel.

10. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 5 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]250592[/snapback]</div>
    And, your point is??? :blink: I just pointed out that in MY region there are optional wheels, so it is likely that they are also available elsewhere. Or, do you post just to hear yourself? :rolleyes:

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup. The only way we're getting to the bottom of this is to see what you've got!

If your car was delivered with steel wheels, it is absolutely the first Prius I've ever heard of. The chance of your dealer guy being on something is VERY high... so to speak. Really, there's just no way you have steel wheels. Do you have the plastic trim rings on your wheels as I've shown in my pictures?

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ May 8 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]251452[/snapback]</div>
    Had you taken the time to think about this, instead of flaming, you would have figured this out. There is no factory option for upgraded wheels. In the SE region optional wheels can be port installed by the distributor. Elsewhere it is a dealer installed option. The cars the OP saw still had the protective white plastic sheeting on them; thus they have not been through the dealer new car prep department and still had the original factory wheels on them.

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andreaswin @ May 8 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]251377[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen pix of other Prii with those 7-spoke wheels- apparently, that is the standard issue wheel in Europe? Too bad we can't get them!
    I notice that the Power button on the Norwegian Prius says "Power" on it- I guess they couldn't fit the Norwegian word for Power on it! :)

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 8 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]251612[/snapback]</div>
    So what is the Norwegian word for Power??

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 8 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]251687[/snapback]</div>
    I had just assumed that it would be one of those long, impossible to pronounce words with the o's with the lines through them. But I checked an English-Norwegian dictionary and came up with these translations: "evne, kraft, makt, styrke." I'm not sure which is the best one, but clearly any of them could fit on the power button.

16. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Power": makt, makten, kraft, kraften, førlighet, førligheten, forsyne med drivkraft

17. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 9 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]251861[/snapback]</div>

hmm

well the word "power" works just fine , putting "kraft" on the button sound a bit strange in my ears....
    more like having "force" on the button in english. could make many funny Joda/Luke jokes tho...

:lol: :D

Cheers
    Andreas

18. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 8 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]251596[/snapback]</div>
    Well, excuuuuse me. I wasn't flaming, I just thought your response was rude. The OP said "I didn't know they were an option", and I volunteered that in my area, the SE, they ARE an option, and even gave him a price and wheel manufacturer to compare to. I don't think my post was at all irrelevant, as you tried to indicate. Now, in comparison, your first post was totally irrelevant, and not helpful at all. Why didn't you just say what you just said the first time?

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I do believe that the JDM Prius has steel wheels with plastic hub caps as standard equipement. I've seen pictures and will try and find them again.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So is someone going to post some pics or something?

Nate