1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

say a prayer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by barbaram, Dec 28, 2006.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    say a prayer for all of us when saddam is hanged.

I can't believe there will not be some sort of attack on us then. I am hoping that it stays on the other side of the atlantic.

the Star Ledger reports that New York City has projected a record number of visitors this week- 1.25 million! judging from I have seen in Penn station alone, it is a credible number. thankfully, rain is predicted for new years eve, but that does not do much to keep people home.....

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Dec 28 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]367923[/snapback]</div>
    Except that Saddam had nothing to do with the kind of terrorism that attacked us on 9/11. If we are attacked due Saddam's hanging it would be a different kind of terrorism, that we caused.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

yeah, ok, let's submit to threats... 'They' said the same thing when we threatened to invade, if we entered Baghdad, if we did this, if we did that, etc., etc., etc.. I say publicly hang him where his statue once stood in Baghdad (the one seen around the world in '03), and publicly hang the 'blind sheik' in the middle of ground zero.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Dec 28 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]367929[/snapback]</div>
    Neither did the Taliban on 9/10.....

:rolleyes:

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 28 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]367935[/snapback]</div>
    The Taliban provided safe harbour for Bin Ladin on 9/10 and both prior to and after 9/11. And they very likely continue to provide safe harbour for him even now as they (the Taliban) are regaining strength since your hero decided to abandon the hunt for OBL in favor of getting Saddam who hated OBL's guts. Oh yea and that was against the advice of his father and as we just found out former president Ford as well.

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Dec 29 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]367938[/snapback]</div>

you know, it isnt even worth arguing anymore. thankfully, narrow minded crackpots were not able to curtail the invasion, overthrow, and yes, the eventual execution of Saddam. 9-11 equated to two countries being invaded, two governments over thrown, and who knows precisely how many multiples of insurgents/enemy combatants/whatever were killed.

the message has already been sent. who's up for trying it again?

as for Ford advising against it.... :lol: yeah, ok, Ford, a 90 year old man at the time, long outside the loop, stating his opinion on what HE even said was PUBLIC information. Heck, GWB could have just as easily logged onto PC, and gotten the same thing....!

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. The United States is not hanging Saddam.
    2. The Iraqi justice system has tried him and most observers say he got a fair trial.
    3. Some escalation of violence might occur in Iraq, but I suspect the Baathists will just sit this one out. The Shia may be in the streets rejoicing ... they didn't like him either.
    4. The international terrorists are always trying to find a chink in our armor and will succeed again at some point.

We do need to say a prayer about any crowded place this year; London was rumored to be hit again over the Christmas holiday, but it looks like we dodged another bullet there. Times Square is a perennial target for the terrorists.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When does he die?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 28 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]367942[/snapback]</div>
    I think Squid's off his meds again.

The vast majority of the world's population was against the invasion of Iraq, and the majority of the world's governments were against it. While you may feel that such an overwhealming majority was wrong in its opinion, I think there's something seriously off-balance about someone who describes the preponderance of the world's people as "narrow-minded crackpots."

"Narrow-minded" better describes someone who is so fixated on having a war that he orders the falsification of intelligence, ignores the advice of most of our allies, invents lie after lie and excuse after excuse until he finally finds one that's palatable to the voters, and then rushes to war before the inspectors have had a chance to complete their work, and even rushes to war before his own troops are properly in place and without any sort of plan for the period after the opposing army has surrendered.

What do you call a commander who sends half his army in to battle before the other half is in place and ready to join in or support, when there is no overriding reason to rush in? Answer: incompetent. And when the only reason for rushing in is that he's tired of waiting for his own troops to get into place, then "crackpot" is not out of place.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 29 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]368187[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

sure, re-factor the perspective daniel...

see, this is a great example of one of the most critical issues, IMO, of the world today. People always attempting to, essentially, see things through their own glasses, however irrational, given their core values of belief, for which anchor all their standpoints...

that statement is actually indicative of that ugly American arrogance. You ASSUME the "vast majority" of the world's population somehow shares an interest in what those darn American's are up to. Sure, perhaps in a "Who killed Jon Bennet Ramsey" sort of way...

Funny then, that numerous leaders of this "vast majority of the WORLD population": 1. Actually supported us in one way or another, and 2. Most certainly didn't act against us in any tangible way to prevent the invasion. Gee, wasn't it only France and Germany that officially opposed? Oh yes, that's right, anyone who supported us must have surely been dictators as they CLEARLY went against the wishes of the people they lead...

You're the one that NEEDS the meds....

Again, whatever though, what's done is done, the anti-Iraq invasion/war folks thoroughly FAILED.

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Worth reading:

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

An excerpt:

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Dec 29 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]367990[/snapback]</div>
    Just left US custody so it's 12, 24 hours away. Bagdad is 8 hours ahead of Washington DC...

Pardon my attempt at levity....

[​IMG]
    ...soon to a theater near you
    I Married a Mass Murder
    Interview by Borat

Back to the turmoil in Iraq.....

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 29 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]368189[/snapback]</div>
    "When elephants fight, the grass suffers." -- African proverb

Yes, the world does care about what the U.S. does, because they usually suffer. A majority in the U.N. voted for economic sanctions against Iraq, but also opposed an invasion. Except for the U.K. and Australia, the countries in the "coalition" were few and tiny, and were either bribed or brow-beaten into it by the U.S., and provided insignificant support.

And my comment about the meds was in reference to your use of the term "narrow-minded crackpots" to describe the people who opposed the rush to war: a war that was promoted with false motives and that we are losing horribly.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I think we should take a moment to pray for ourselves, if we find some sort of perverse fulfillment in his hanging.

And we should take another moment to really consider our rights and responsibilities --- and, consequently, our limitations --- as a leader of the "civilized" world.

Executions are more about making the (in our case, alleged) victim feel better...often at the expense of our human dignity.

Should we have a big parade or something to celebrate?

--------

I'm also adding the quote above: "when elephants fight, the grass suffers" to my journal; I think this is a lovely thought (and, when I repeated it aloud, someone here at work asked me, "do you mean, like, in a zoo or something...?)

Clearly, the thought behind the words is, sadly, lost upon some people.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Priority is picking up the pieces....

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Dec 28 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]367923[/snapback]</div>
    You mean in Europe where there are now many thousands of American tourists and residents, etc in places such as London, Paris, Rome, etc.? (Not to mention the locals)
    Maybe you should reconsider that insular statement. The USA is not an island.

16. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Dec 29 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]368239[/snapback]</div>
    Saddam liked blondes. His first wife even dyed her hair to try to be more appealing to him (and to try to get him to leave the other women alone). Just a random fact that came to mind after seeing the photo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 28 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]367942[/snapback]</div>
    Thousands of jihadists.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will it be on pay per view?

18. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Can I buy the rope on ebay?

:lol:

Let 'em dangle for 20 days then dump the rotting corpse on a side alley somewhere in baghdad... seems to be the going thing over there.

19. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Don't leave me hanging ... you know I can't stand the suspense.

I guess it'll be a swing vote for democracy.

It's the best Saddam could have hoped for - a suspended sentence.

At least he gets to hang out with his half-brothers.

:) :) :)

20. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Question: what will they do to his remains? The authorities don't want a shrine. After all, they unmarked where his two sons were buried.