1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SC40-A Service Bulletin: Deal Double Talk?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RobertO, Mar 4, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Had occasion to drop by the Toyota dealer today. In conversation with another Service Advisor, (not my regular guy who was on vacation) she told me she had been asked to follow up on my "racing ICE" issue.

In the course of her discusssion with a Dealer Techical Support Rep, she was told:

1. (Quote)They can't figure out why the ICE was racing - yet.
    (At this point, I think some of the conjecture by my fellow PriusChat dudes is probably closer to the mark - we'll see.)

2. (Quote) Since I've had the update, my Battery Level Indicator will now display "full" as in all green bars, rather than one shy of the top as it has been for 5,000 miles, when fully charged.
    (I was told the "one shy of full' was normal - before the reload. I've only seen the "all green" condition once; after the reload and during the racing ICE episode. Shortly after I came to a full stop, it went one bar down and has never gone above that no matter how well-charged. What exactly did they change?)

3. (Quote) The pupose of the SC40-A reload was to modfy the condition thresholds that trigger instrument panel displays!!!
    (Nothing about a fault that could result in erratic transmission shifting as we were all told in the Official Notices mailed to us).

SO I GOTTA ASK YOU:
    Does anyone know what the Truth is on the reload? I saw the text from the letter on the Parts Department's Technical Support WebSite tonight. It describes the same condition and reason for the reload as we all were told; reload the ECU so the transmission anamolies don't happen. Nothing about resetting display threshold parameters.

And why do some dealers finish the job in 45 minutes, and some dealers take (literally) all day to do the same job, and behave like they're walking on eggs when you come through the door to pick up your car???

I wonder, do these folks EVER talk to each other - or is this all happening because they DO talk to each other?

Love my car. Toyota makes my head hurt.

Any news on this?

Bob