1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan codes: DTC plus INF codes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KTPhil, Oct 1, 2010.

1. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I have a Scan Gauge that reads out the DTC codes after the MIL light on the dash comes on.

However, it does not seem to read out the "INF" codes, the three-digit code accompanying many DTC codes that gives more specific error information.

In my case, I had the MIL and master warning light come on (2005 with 120K miles), and found a P0A93 code stored. This indicates the well-known inverter cooling system performance problem.

However, depending on whether there is INF code 346 or 347, it is likely to be either the pump (346) or the cooling fan (347).

My problem came and went (MIL turned off), but after reading how failure-prone the coolant pumps, I played the odds and replaced it today.

But I'm wondering if it was the cooling fan instead? It was intermittent (the MIL went off), and both seemed to be working. If it comes up again, I'll leave the car running and see if the coolant is flowing and if the fan is turning. Until then I can only guess.

So my question is, is there a scan tool that gives BOTH the DTC and the INF codes?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

ScanGauge worked while my AutoXray OBDII scanner failed to read on the CAN bus. But as posted, only the DTC codes themselves.

How much does that subscription and the kit mentioned in your link run?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Not THAT serious!