1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan Gauge, Ultra Guage, Torque

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cegeddin, Jul 13, 2023.

1. cegeddin

cegeddin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had an overheating problem that has turned into a head gasket job + water pump + a bunch of other things, because, I'm already in there, on a 2010 Prius. I'm trying to figure out how to be as thorough as possible while I"m doing this, hopefully getting another 200k miles out of the car, and thinking about the scanning needs.

I saw a reference to Scan Guage II in the head gasket thread I was reading, and saw another reference to ultra guage elsewhere. It looks like scan guage and ultra guage may give access to codes that I can't get from an ODB2 interface + torque?

I'm looking for some feedback on those tools versus a bluetooth adapter + torque.

I haven't gone as far as trying to get a version of techstream yet, but I'm considering it. I'd have to buy a windows laptop to do that it looks like, as I'm more of a unix (OSX) user.

So, just fishing for some feedback on the scanner options.

Part of my motivation is that the first time I replaced the water pump, the replacement pump failed immediately. It was the Aisin pump, but I noticed on the amazon reviews several others had that problem, and it was hard to diagnose. I'm wondering if I have one of those scan tools if it will provide more visibility quicker into problems than a odb adapter + torque.

Thank you!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With his water pump you can just plug it to the car and not attach it start the car and see that it spins it comes on I think by default when the car comes on albeit not at full speed . Tis will allow calling up the pump and it's speeds . I had the same problem with the ground off Asian pump I'm guessing they're seconds the little window that says Asian is ground down. I returned my original pump back to service which worked for another six or eight months then it started acting up again I pulled it out pulled the impeller and noticed all the plastic deterioration and the impeller was being impeded by the plastic peeling off of it trying to spin in that smooth hole so then I took the impeller out of the ground off housing pump which should no hours on it pulled its impeller out which was perfect put it in the original pump plugged it up while it's out of the car brought the car up no coolant in it or anything The pump started turning It's fun freely and it's bore. So I buttoned it up bled the cooling system and it's been like that for two and a half years. Recently somebody just found impellers to buy on Amazon which seemingly is usually how the pump fails the impeller can't spin because of crack peeling plastic swelling plastic remove it dropping a new one in your original pump probably actually works unless you let the swollen plastic sit and try to work the pump for a long time I guess it could burn up the board inside the pump.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There are apparently more and more scan tools out there becoming capable as more and more cars have 15 plus computers and what have you so as you see even the cheaper scan tools are getting into the $345 range and are capable on most models of electronically bleeding ABS systems and all that not exactly sure about Prius specific but I would think if these tools can do it to cars like Hyundai ioniq hybrids. A Prius would be easy lunch but you never know.

4. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You mainly want to be monitoring your temps, so I don't think that a scan 'tool' is necessarily your best choice unless you want to leave it set up all the time. I use Torque and Hybrid Assistant with my android and am happy with both, but even those require me to open an app and then takes my phone away from things like navigation. I think the dash gauge that permanently displays temps would be the best bet for not letting your car overheat, so scan gauge (if I'm correctly assuming what that is) would be my vote.

That being said, still get an app or a tool that allows you to do more like read codes and data.

Also just get Hybrid Assistant in the meantime, it's free.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Add a temp gauge he he

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use a Scangauge 2 to monitor the most likely to develop trouble spots on a Prius.

Scan Gauge 2.JPG

1. 12 volt battery voltage

2. engine coolant water temperature

3. inverter coolant temperature

4. HV battery voltage temperature

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also have a Scangauge 2 and find it very useful. It'd be even more useful if it could display water pump RPM. I have not found the X Gauge code for that yet.

moto g power ?

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's probably code for that.
    However, if your coolant temperature is ok, the pump speed probably is ok too.