1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanauge II for the v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mac Prius, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Any fellow v owners using a ScanGauge II for the v? Just picked it up from Amazon for $106. Looking for mounting recommendations and any lessons learned from its use. Thanks!

2. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't got one for my v yet, but I was thinking the "card holder" on the left side might be a perfect spot for it. Would have to remove it and carve on it a bit, but it would then be more useful than it is now.

3. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have mine "mounted" just behind the steering wheel. Actually it's just sitting on a small bit of the same material used to line the bottom of drawers (non slide type of material). I then have the wire running around the steering column tucked in (you can't see it), and the excess wire looped and tucked in on the right side center counsil by the gas pedal.

I originally wanted to run the wire through the top opening of the steering wheel column to hide the wire but that was a bit of a pain trying to crawl under and fish the line through.

It's a good place for me, since I'm used to looking in that area for the speedometer on my old car.

If I can get pictures I'll post them later.

Good luck

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is to the far right of the instrument panel, with the cable run behind the glove compartment doors.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I stuck mine on the "dash", centred behind the steering wheel, with a couple of loops of masking tape on the underside. Was supposed to be temporary, but I've stuck with that method for about a year. Just route the cable in/around the steering column housing.

Of course that's on a regular Prius, but similar I think.

6. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the mounting recommendations. I am thinking somewhere behind the steering wheel is the right spot. I have also been looking at using the ScanGauge to disable the backup beep. I found the list of codes for the GenIII but not sure if they work for the v. Has anyone tried this for the v? Manual on the website is rather vague on how to exactly do this as well so if you have been successful I would appreciate any guidance.

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Gen 3 instructions worked on my v.

8. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Jimbo. Same codes as well?

9. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies folks. I ended up mounting it right behind the steering wheel using the included Velcro strips. I ran the chord behind the underside panel and then wrapped the excess around the steering wheel. There was enough space to tuck the chord behind the steering wheel and using the connection in the back of the ScanGauge makes the chord virtually invisible. For me this is the ideal place since it is nicely "hidden" behind the steering wheel and still allows me to see the gauge.

Using the codes I found in the GenIII forum (which Jimbo confirmed works for the v) I was able to change the reverse warning beeps into just one beep. Took me about 15 minutes for install and changing the reverse beep.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I see the Scanguage as an OBD2 reader/reseter (got one), a MPG display (v has one), and able to set some system parameters (I can get my tech at the dealer to do those for me). So help me out on what other benefits it would provide?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the $106 Amazon too. Did not arrive yet.
    I am hoping to check hidden parameters such as HV batt temp in summer and stuff like that.
    Also thinking using in other car for MPG read-out.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mike I use Average MPG on the v screen and instant MPG on the scan gauge. I never figured out how to see both at the same time stock.

I am also viewing RPM, Engine coolant temp, and intake air temp. I grill block and want reassurance I am not overheating the coolant. Intake air was an issue on my last Prius as it sky-rocketed in summer. (no issues now, I could re-use this gauge)