1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by grasshopper, May 23, 2006.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Originally, I placed this in the wrong category. :(

I have a 06 package #3, so Can View (I am told) is out. So all you ScanGage folks, let me here from you. How do you like it?
    Was it worth it?
    Does it give CVT temps? (This is important because I tow)
    Do you still use it.
    Would you buy it again?
    How long have you had it?
    And anything else you wish you would have known before you bought yours. :eek:

Grasshopper

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 23 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]259943[/snapback]</div>
    I am sorry I missed your post. I have the ScanGage, and now the CAN View. The ScanGage provides many parameters that can improve your driving. It does not delve as deep as the CAN View but I don't know if that is absolutely necessary for day to day use. Coolant temps are good because until you are up to temp there is no point in pushing for Stealth. Looking at the Engine RPM is helpful as the MFD is not always accurate in this respect. Looking at fuel flow will tell you those times when the ICE is spinning but not using fuel. There is a lot of good here for a moderate price.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 26 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]261592[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info, you guy’s are way over my head. :( The last car I worked on was a 1956 ford and it was only 4 years old at that time.

As I understand it you can track your PSD temps? If this is true are you doing it through your Can View or ScanGage or something else? I have a 06 so I may need to wait until Can View catches up.

I’m still trying to find out how to get real time temps of the PSD.

You guys keep up the good work, I very impressed.

Grasshopper

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 27 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]261902[/snapback]</div>
    On my Can View with the ODD II Mod I can get the Inverter 1&2 and MG 1&2 temps. I am not sure how important that would be on a day to basis unless you are into a radiator blocker, and I am not sure how important that will be yet. Get back to me at the end of the summer. The Can View gives a lot of information if you want it, and are curious, about how this car works as I am. I am not certain that it provides more info for day to day driving than the MFD and the ScanGage. Remember the ScanGage is a separate read out and all the MFD data is there for you to access with the ScanGage info that you choose to look at. ScanGage is very generic. It gives you info like RPM, coolant temp, gal/min and other data that is available on any car with OBD. You can not get at any Hybrid data, like the CanView. Think of the ScanGage as a planetary orbiter and the CanView as a planetary lander. Both useful information but at different levels. If all you want to do is become a better driver the ScanGage will do that. If you want to know why then you need CanView.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 28 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]261902[/snapback]</div>
    Below is not direct related to PSD, but Bob Wilson attached a thermistor to the drain plug of ATF on his NHW-11, then he measured the oil temp reading the resistance value.
    http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_tt.html

Ken@Japan

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I have both scan gauge and can view.

I found scan gauge essential for winter to see warm up temeratures, till I got the can view.

Can view is essential for maximizing EV driving.

If I lived in a warm climate and flat terrain area, I might drive a Prius without either quite happily, unless I wanted to pull a trailer.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ May 28 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]262010[/snapback]</div>
    I do live in a hot area that is essentially flat terrain. But I do want to tow and that’s why I want real time readouts. I looked at Bob Wilson’s setup (quite intriguing, watch out for Bob, he’s a thinker) but it is not something you can keep track of at a glance. As long as I don’t let it overheat (stopping if necessary) and changing fluids more frequently, I shouldn’t have any problems. Although I realize that I may be pushing it’s limits at times.

So, it sounds like Can View or ScanGage gives you real time readings? But if it is Can View that does and not ScanGage, It doesn’t help me because I have a 2006 package #3. So that’s where I stand at this time.
    It is going to be awhile before I attempt a long haul with the trailer, so hopefully I’ll have this figured out by then.

Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it. :)

Like # 5 would say: Input! Input! More input! :D :D

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 28 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]262039[/snapback]</div>
    Here's some input: CAN view doesn't work on 2006 models. Does that make your choice easier?

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ May 28 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]262075[/snapback]</div>

Are we married? :huh:

Just wondered because you seem to always tell me what I already know. <_< :p

But keep up the good work because that one time I need info, I'm counting on you to be the one that supplies it. :D :D :D