1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge and RPM help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by homerj742, Apr 5, 2007.

1. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Hey guys, I'm a new Prius owner (3 weeks), I purchased a used '05 Prius. So far, I'm getting about 50mpg hand calculated (52mpg according to the display).

I need a brief description about RPM's and how this will help my fuel economy, will having a scangauge help?

I'm also thinking of getting a shark fin antenna, and a stiffening plate (I got hit by wind today and you can really feel it!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Easiest answer is to try to accelerate and maintain RPM b/w 1700 and 2300rpm. When you're going to slow for 1700rpm you should try to glide. When you have a hill coming up start accelerating early at 2300rpm so that you don't to exceed 2300rpm during the climb.

It takes practice and there are exceptions, but this will have a major impact on your FE.

3. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Cool, so this scangauge seems worthwhile investment. How difficult is it to install???

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Apr 5 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]418467[/snapback]</div>
    Worthwhile financially? No way...would take many many thousands of miles to make up in fuel cost what you could save with it.
    Worthwhile for the fun of it and to learn more about your car...absolutely.

Install is very easy...but I don't have one so I'll leave it to others to explain. I use CAN-View.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There is hardly any "install". Its plug and play. It plugs in under the dash just above your right knee, and then run the cable to where ever you want to have the unit placed. I posted the owners manuel in PDF form under another thread in this forum, its easier to read that the small print one that comes with the unit.

See if you can order one from Danny, he may still have some extras left from our group order. Right now I have my displaying RPM, Volts, MPG, and engine temperature. All good information to have IMHO>

I recommend the ScanGauge II. I don't have a can view, but others do and can recommend them as well. I believe the can view is more detailed and provides more info and analysis that the scangauge does. You won't go wrong either way. Good luck!! :lol:

6. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 5 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]418473[/snapback]</div>
    On the other hand, if it saves you a couple of $75 diagnostic fees for check engine lights coming on (works on most other cars too), it pretty much pays for itself. At least that's the way I'm going to try to justify getting one.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Apr 6 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]418761[/snapback]</div>
    Rationalization is a beautiful thing isn't it!! I've rationalized about $2000 worth of add-ons to my Prius!

8. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Thank you guys for the references, I'm reading up right now!

Another quick question, I just purchased a 7yr/100k warranty. Will any modifications void this warranty? (ie- Antenna, Scangauge, BT Tech plate)???

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you remove those modifications before you take the car in for service, you should be fine... generally manufacturers do not like modifications... It's akin to overclocking a cpu.

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    None of those modifications would pose any risk to the extended warranty.