1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge II worth picking up to monitor battery voltage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusguy78213, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed that this has gotten good reviews here and quite a few people use them. Was wondering if it would be worth it to pick one up. Seems like it gives lots of useful info. In particular battery voltage. One thing I've noticed since checking out the forum is that some people end up with dead 12 volt batteries and that can be a pain; more so with a Prius it seems. So I figured maybe something like this would be useful to monitor the 12 volt battery output in real time; maybe foresee and issue with the battery and change it out BEFORE I end up stranded.

Any thoughts on the use of the scanner would be appreciated. I know I'm probably being overly cautious but planning some road trips in July; don't want to get stranded.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's a great idea, and love some of the set ups people have imagined. forewarned is forearmed. knowledge is power.

matt b., Xterra72 and Priusguy78213 like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ScanGaugeII is very handy with the Prius, lots of "gauges" you can switch between, plus more you can program in. Some I'm using:

MPG per trip (pretty much left on constantly)
    MPG instant (D.O.)
    Engine Coolant Temp (D.O.)
    RPM
    Hybrid Battery Temp
    Hybrid Battery Fan Speed

That's just me, but there's TONS of gauges, and many more programmable.

But for battery voltage, best checked with the car off, with a digital multi meter. And a multi meter is invaluable for many many applications. Good Father's Day gift, if you can float that. ;)

4. Priusguy78213

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info.

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My take is that many are overly concerned because the 12v on the Prius can affect more than just the ability to start the car, mostly mileage as they weaken. I don't know how big a problem that actually is as we've only had our Prius since July and have driven just over 27,000 miles so far. All batteries eventually need to be replaced and monitoring them in the Prius can certainly help avoid problems..However, one doesn't need to spend the $160 or so on a ScanGauge II, there are cheaper ways of tracking battery voltage and other data. If you have a smart phone or tablet, all you need is a Bluetooth-enabled ODB2 module (around $25 or less) and one of the free apps, like Torque. There is even a module that works via USB with a laptop, but laptops are unwieldy for daily use. The apps might not be as robust as a ScanGauge II (I don't know), but their effectiveness will depend on what you actually need/want to monitor. And like Mendel said, checking the battery might best be done while the vehicle if off anyway. At a minimum, I recommend you invest in a module just so you can read/reset codes yourself rather than have to take the vehicle to someone. For me, the advantages to the module/app approach were the Bluetooth connection, the display on the phone/tablet and the cost. YMMV

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I endorse Mendel's post #3, but use a different combination:

Fuel burn rate (less indirect than instant mpg)
    Coolant temperature
    Traction battery current
    Engine speed
    12v battery voltage

Occasionally certain other interesting variables. May add inverter temperature, traction battery temperature, or __?__ .

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly, there are few, if any cases of oem batteries going bad if they haven't been run down previously. once you have the scan gauge though, there are many joys and wonders as posted above. and there are alternative's as well.

8. OBJ

OBJ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a Scangauge is good investment, as mentioned in other posts, it's good to monitor coolant temp, engine rpm, instant mpg, reset DTCs etc. if you own another car you can use it there too.
    I don't know how many times I had helped coworkers resetting DTCs and troubleshooting car issues at work.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the 12V battery is the only thing you want to monitor, then the ScanGauge and most other OBDII engine monitors are seriously overpriced.

A digital voltmeter that plugs into the 12V outlet can be obtained for less the $10. When the spouse's old car (pre-ODBII, so my ScanGauge won't work in it) was having intermittent but infrequent charging system problems, I bought one through Amazon for under $3. It took about three weeks to get mailed from Shenzen, but when the car acted up again, she was able to watch the voltmeter and get the answers I wanted.

I am quite happy with my ScanGauge. At list price, it paid for itself in fuel savings alone in 6000 miles on the previous car, a late 1990s FSP (fuel sucking pig, at least compared to a Prius) that lacked any sort of MPG display. Because the Prius starts with much higher mpg and has MPG displays, the fuel savings benefit is much lower and any payback takes far far longer. But the other information is still very useful.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first one does. Then, you snap and get another for $200, that does pretty much the same stuff, but looks cooler.

Just saying...

bisco likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use mine in my Energi for much more; primarily for HV battery temperature, 12v status, and HV battery state of charge (SOC) but reading (and clearing) the rare OBD code is worth the purchase price alone for the peace of mind that instant feedback gives you.

I also tried the bluetooth/smartphone route but that has too many cons in my experience.

12. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Here's my setup
    20150226_152326.jpg
    (y)

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could you provide a few specifics? I have the module/apps and I've considered an SGII, but have yet to see a reason to spend the $160.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great tool, well worth the money.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you only want to read a code or the occasional use, then BT/apps are a fine solution. If you want to access data every time you drive like I do, then it becomes a major PITA. Also, my android solution was buggy, 3rd party torque formulas didn't work, freezes, battery drain, poor mounting solution (in my particular case), etc. I may be wrong on this but I don't think you can stream music via BT at the same time the OBD module is using it.

Playtimenick likes this.
  16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ^^^ Thanks.

17. Priusguy78213

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the good info. Yeah, the ScanGauge II might be overkill for what I'm thinking; probably something like the module you mentioned would do the trick.

18. Priusguy78213

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can consider the less expensive Scangauge e as well, displays two gauges instead of 4, can read DTC, and reset codes just like it's bigger brother.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, check out the Ultragauge. A member here is trying to arrange a group buy, but hasn't generated much interest, so he might be able to guide folks to another group elsewhere that is getting a quorum:
    Group Buy: UltraGauge | PriusChat