1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge mounting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mcurley68, May 22, 2008.

1. mcurley68

mcurley68 New Member

I tried to mount my ScanGauge on my dash above the steering column using the supplied velcro. The velcro won't stay stuck to the dash.

Has anyone else had success sticking the ScanGauge to the dash? What worked? I would like to be able to remove it if needed for other vehicle use.

2. yams69

yams69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I stuck mine immediately to the left of the MFD, which I think keeps it more in line with the existing instrument readouts than having it right above the steering column. The velcro adhesive runs almost completely across the silvery inset in the dash; it's on the rightmost bottom part of the SG. SG stays in place while driving but can be easily removed if necessary. I still gotta secure the cable better, though.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I attached my SGII on the dash to the left of the wheel/ THink near the small triangular window. That way the cable can be tucked into the rubber seal along the dash area and door. works well for me.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mounted mine here:
    [​IMG]

5. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the thing is pretty ugly and primitive looking so I am planning to put it in the little box below the MFD (with the push-to-open-push-to-close door to keep it concealed when not needed). I've not mounted it yet because I'm a little inhibited about cutting a hole in the back of the box to snake the cable through.

Tom

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just sat mine above the steering column after it would not stick to the dash. After wrapping the wire around the column it stays in place and is in a very good place to read and I can unwind it a bit and hand it to my wife to check trip info.

7. Raider

Raider New Member

Yes, the textured dash is not adequate for applying adhesives like sticky back velcro. This also applies to the Industrial Strength Velcro.

I'm looking for another textured dash panel to cut out an opening to mount the scan gauge (into the dash panel), and route the wiring from behind.

Unfortunately, the least expensive price I've found was $70 without shipping.

8. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I put mine in the little box under the MFD. Drilled a hole (slowly!) in the lower left hand back corner and pulled connector through same. Nice, neat installation and can't be seen from outside.

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put mine in the same place but drilled a hole in the back center bottom. That way when I remove the SG2 and put the felt bottom back in the box, you can't see the hole.

10. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did the same. It fits snug and I just remove it when I park, close the cover and stash the scanguage under the drivers seat near the center console.

My Garmin Nuvi can sit on that open cover with the antenna angled into the box recess. If I am interested in directions and the Scanguage, I place them side by side on the open cover door.

Lee:cool:

11. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For those of you with the nerve to drill/cut (bogeybob, rest, et al), did you have to remove dash pieces to accomplish this? Or did you attack the back of the box from the inside blindly? Once you made your hole, how were you able to find access to snake the cable from the back (you MUST have had to remove something!)?

Tom

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The panel under the radio down to the carpet is very easy to remove. There is a plastic pin clip on the passenger side and once that is out you just pull the cover straight toward the cup holders and off it comes. This allows easy access to the back of the CD storage tray.

13. Chuck41

Chuck41 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i have the gray panel off now but i still don't have access to the bottom of the tray there is another plastic bottom between the storage tray. What did you do next before you drilled the hole.

14. Chuck41

Chuck41 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i would like to mount my SG2 in the little box opening under the MFD but i don't know if there are wires or whatever under the shelf. i can't tell with the vertical gray cover removed. i want to use a Dremel tool to cut a hole in the bottom of the shelf without removing 90% of the dash. does anyone know if there are wires or whatever under the shelf i would cut into.

15. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check eBay. They sell a mount that places it immediately above your rear view mirror.

16. Chuck41

Chuck41 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A friend of mine purchased one of these rear view mirror mounts for his Scangauge2 and he loves it.

I would prefer to have my Scangauge mounted in the small shelf below the MFD because the Scangauge fits so well and you can close the door to the shelf when you are finished using the Scangauge and it can not be seen.

Surely someone who has mounted their Scangauge in this small shelf (some call it a CD storage area) knows if i can use a Dremel tool to cut a hole in the bottom of this shelf and not damage anything underneath the shelf.

Attached Files:

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I removed the side air vents and the panel below the box (the one that goes all the way to the carpet and has the power outlet in it). I was able to get a drill under the box to drill into it. You can take the box completely out but that requires removing more panel parts.

18. Chuck41

Chuck41 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it has been posted that removing the panel below the box (the one that goes all the way to the carpet and has the power outlet in it). gives access to the bottom of the panel i want to drill a hole. i have removed said panel on my 08 prii and it does not give access to the bottom of the panel i want to drill into. this said gray panel is behind the shelf and does not provide access to the bottom of the shelf. maybe my prii is different than most.

19. Chuck41

Chuck41 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it has been posted that removing the panel below the box (the one that goes all the way to the carpet and has the power outlet in it). gives access to the bottom of the panel i want to drill a hole. i have removed said panel on my 08 prii and it does not give access to the bottom of the panel i want to drill into. this said gray panel is behind the shelf and does not provide access to the bottom of the shelf. is it possible that my prii is different than most.

20. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius