1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scangauge reading- Tank until Empty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kinged, Apr 23, 2007.

1. kinged

kinged New Member

I have driven 403 miles on my current tank, and the tank indicator flash warning light comes on, and my MFD displayed "Add Fuel" for a second. however, my Scangauge tells me I have 2.8 gallon left and I should be able to continue for another 130 miles before runs empty. How accurate is that? I did not take chances and proceed with fueling up. Is Scangauge reading off? Can I really drive another 100 miles?

Thanks

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinged @ Apr 23 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]428648[/snapback]</div>
    I would trust your cars MFD before trusting the scan guage. I also have a scan guage and I think it calibrates to your filling habits as you go. The first time you fill your tank up you don't do anything as far as telling your scan guage The second time you fill up, you tell your scan guage how much gas you put in. It will first display the amount of gas it thought you put in, and then you correct it.

Anyway, let us know what happens. I've never had the guts to drive the car long enough so I get a blinking last blip on the guage!!

Dave

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I haven't yet invested in a ScanGauge II, but have been following experiences of other Prius drivers.

Some drivers have reduced the entry for fuel capacity, reducing the gallons available to their best guess at "USEABLE" fuel instead of the THEORETICAL 11.9 gallon capacity of the fuel tank/bladder. This would provide a more realistic reading for "Miles to Empty." If I owned a ScanGauge II, I would probably enter no more than 9½ or 10 useable gallons.

In any event, I would trust the PRIUS, not the ScanGauge. Running a Prius dry has far too many inconveniences and potential problems.

My uneducated 2¢ worth. :mellow:

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a ScanGauge, and I agree with the others. The SG's "fuel remaining" reading is calculated based on the tank capacity you enter during setup and the fuel economy seen since the last fillup. The latter is generally pretty close to the MFD, but if you've entered the maximum fuel capacity -- which because of the Prius' finicky fuel bladder will rarely (if ever) be seen during a fillup -- your fuel remaining is likely considerably less than what the SG says. That's why, as Charles suggests, many enter a smaller (and more realistic) tank capacity. As for me, I don't use that SG feature; I use the fuel gauge to tell me when to refuel.

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 23 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]428688[/snapback]</div>
    The ScanGauge2 doesn't allow you to enter the tank size this way, so you couldn't enter 11.9. It only allows whole gallons, like 9, 10, 11, 12. I entered 11, but I am sure many entered 12. I wanted to be safe.

6. kinged

kinged New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Apr 24 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]429272[/snapback]</div>

I did enter 11 gallons like most of us do.