1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge / UltraGauge question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott1258, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Scott1258

Scott1258 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How does a ScanGauge or UltraGauge help you increase your gas mileage? With all the info already in the car I'm confused how this helps. Pleae let me know. Thanks!

2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seeing the actual water temperature allows you to understand the warm up status and know when glides can best be achieved.

Looking at the battery amps (regeneration or electric assist) allows you to pinpoint your glides more clearly than just using the HSI.

On acceleration and cruising on the highway you can see the actual engine output to try and maintain optimum efficient engine operation. It also allows you to optimize high efficiency highway operation.

Finally knowing engine RPM's lets you fully understand low speed engine shutoff transitions and power operation on the highway.

Some of these gauges require use of the ScanGauge X gauge capability.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First off Scan Gauge also incorporates X-Gauges, which monitor the Hybrid systems in the car.
    A little light reading is in order...Start with these links!

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...auge-ii.html?highlight=scan+gauge+programming

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...auge-ii.html?highlight=scan+gauge+programming

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...uge-dummies.html?highlight=scan+gauge+x-gauge

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...cangauge-ii.html?highlight=scan+gauge+x-gauge

This should keep you busy for a while!
    Hope it helps answer some of your questions! :D

4. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    help adding fuel economy? maybe a little. is it a cool additional thing to have? I think so. I think it would take many, many years to recoup the cost if ever on fuel savings.

I have the scangauge ii and monitor RPM, MPG, IGN and TPS. I can utilize SHM when possible much easier than just guessing with my foot and a crappy fuel economy bar gauge. i can see when the engine shuts off, goes into warp stealth, etc. it is just another tool/toy to use for fuel economy driving.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Scott, maybe the ScanGauge won't be a big help for improved FE as you may be able to get by with the existing instrumentation.

What's your coolant temp? What's your inverter temp? Would you like to know that you are cooking your inverter before you end up coasting on the shoulder? Turn on the climate control before the ICE is warmed up & it will run just to power the heater.

Inverter temp is particularly important if you are blocking the grill.

What's the voltage reading on your 12v battery? If you have NAV you can read it through the car but it is still easier on the Scangauge.

What's the code for that CEL? Diagnose & clear 2 or 3 DTC & the unit probably paid for itself.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In addition to other information, the Scangauge II provides a constant readout of my mileage efficiency. I have a tendency to drive faster than necessary and the Scangauge reminds me of the price that I pay for that behavior. The difference between driving 60 MPH and 70 is about 5+ MPG and the slower speed is arguably safer. The fuel saved using the Scangauge may never offset the price of the gadget, although driving to improve mileage is entertaining and challenges me to drive a little slower. Regardless of the old arguments, I usually get there on-time with more gas in the tank, when I drive a little slower.