1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge X-Gauge question…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by WilDavis, Mar 7, 2014.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place (newbie here!). I recently bought a ScanGauge II and have set it up to monitor the charge/discharge of the Traction Battery. I found the X-Gauge parameter information necessary, and I think it's working OK; I use Bta, and my question is am I correct in assuming (oh how I hate using that word!) that +ve readings show current coming out of the battery and -ve readings show the battery being charged? (It sounds counter-intuitive, but careful observation and monitoring when re-gen braking and on the "over-run" (closed throttle) seems to indicate it to be so). Also, any other tips as to what useful X-gauges might be configured, I currently have engine RPM, 12V battery voltage, coolant temperature (I did some grille-blocking, so it's nice to see what's actually happening!), and Bta. Thanks in advance - Wil

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct on the battery amps that (+) amps are discharge amps from the battery to the MG's. The (-) amps are regen or charge amps form the MG's to the battery. If you think about it "normal" current flow is from the battery to the MG's.

I typically monitor Bt2 (middle HV battery temp sensor), MPG, ICE Coolant temp, and now with the Boost Converter recall for the Gen 3's I have been monitoring BVB (Voltage after Boost).

WilDavis likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you know you can run multiple Scan Gauges.
    A regular Cat-5 cable works perfect. I made a 10" jumper, run two units side by side!

4. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i monitor Bta, Btv, Wtc and Soc on my SGII.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I understand about the daisy-chaining; I'm waiting to get some more of the disposable and might invest in a second head. Will the second unit need programming, or does the X-Gauges only require setting-up once?

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Each Scan you daisy chain will have to be individually programmed!

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Pat! I sort of expected that to be the answer (if I'd been the developer, I'd have spec-ed it so that the whole system is configurable rather than each separate head! Oh well… (sigh!!) - 73 es tnx - K1WD

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's actually not that bad! You just have to plan and decide what 8 parameters are most important to you.
    I am currently updating the system and replacing the Scan Gauges with a 7" Samsung Galaxy tab! The bonus it has a built in x y inclinometer built it! Torque is really the only program this computer will run. It's strictly a dashboard!

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.