1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGauge2 SOC Gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rest, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The battery picture on my MFD shows only one bar not lit (green), yet SOC on my SG2 shows it at only 68%. Is this right? Seems like it should be 98% or something.

2. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 11 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]537919[/snapback]</div>
    You can probably find details elsewhere, but the full range as displayed on the MFD really corresponds to something like 40-80% of the actual range of charge on the battery pack.

This is a very conservative move by Toyota, done in the interest of extending battery life; most premature NiMH failures are due to deep cycling and/or overcharing, either of which will damage most rechargable battery chemistries.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    you can get SOC on ScanGauge II???? I didn't know that. I usually keep mine on RPM, fWT, GPH, and something else, i forget.

Is the SOC only with the software update?

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi Rest,

tkil is exactly right. In order to maximize the life of the battery it is limited by the computer not to exceed 80% SOC, nor drop below 40% SOC. I have had my SGII about a month and so far have observed that mine also reads 68% when there are 7 green bars. I have never seen a higher reading yet. I did notice that when the battery gets down to 2 purple bars the ICE will start as soon as the SOC goes from 40% to 39.5%.

Has anyone seen a greater SOC reading on the SG?

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not disputing that the battery pack doesn't go above or below a certain charge. I am disputing the MFD representation of that charge compared to the SG2 SOC's percentage. If the MFD is incorrect then it makes me wonder what other information on it is also incorrect. I didn't pay for this vehicle to have the wrong information displayed for me.

6. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry, guess I misunderstood the point you were trying to get across. I guess I just never interpreted the display that way. One thing I did notice is that sometimes when the display shows no arrows, the SG shows an RPM value.

7. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 12 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]538570[/snapback]</div>
    The information it's displaying is not "incorrect": it simply shows the normal operating range of charge (that is, the charge that the computer will let itself use for accel or braking). It's only lying just as much as fuel guages typically lie (showing "E" when really there's 1-2 gallons in reserve).

Would it be useful to you if the SOC never varied by more than 2-3 bars? Because if it really showed the absolute SOC (vs the "available SOC" that it does show), you'd never see anything other than 4, 5, or 6 bars. That seems to me to be obviously less useful.

Perhaps you can consider the MFD battery display as "available battery". The SGII is showing "total battery", and that same value is what's used by the computer to do the right thing -- but one of the "right things" is to keep the charge in a middle zone so as to not damage the battery.

Anyway. Hope you can change your mind to appreciate the MFD showing you a simplified and more-applicable view, so that you can get back to enjoying your car. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 12 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]538570[/snapback]</div>
    As for "what other information on it is also incorrect", I suspect that you'll have to let go of absolute accuracy in favor of simplicity on the MFD. That's why you got the SGII in the first place, right? :)

To find specific issues, reading these forums is a great start. A few that I already know about:

1. MFD MPG calculations are 3-4% optimistic on 2005, apparently better (+1% or so) on 2007-2008 models.

2. Due to bladder in North American versions, the gas guage is often referred to as the "guess gauge". There was even a service bulletin on the fuel fill tube for 2004 and early 2005 models.

3. Regardless of how strictly accurate the MFD display is, there are ways to use just the MFD to improve milage.

4. The SGII is more accurate (as well as typically more precise), and that provides even more ways to improve milage.

Anyway. Once more, I hope you can relax on this issue and enjoy the rest of the car. I have a long list of things I think Toyota did wrong (or at least sub-optimally) on my 2005 Prius, yet I still enjoy driving it immensely.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ Nov 12 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]538576[/snapback]</div>
    The arrows on the MFD are only showing a transfer of energy. You can still have the engine turning, thus showing rpms on the SG2 and not providing any arrows.

Tonight my SOC was up to 75% with my MFD battery showing all bars green.

9. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ydpplqbd likes this.
  10. mnky357us

mnky357us bweverka

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2 questions (scangage II)

Just installed scangage ii and have 2 questions.
    1. Where & How do you get the SOC gauge programed in?
    2. What would you enter as tank size 11, 12 or 8 may be even 9?

Scangage came this last week.
    2008 Seaside Pearl
    Package #5
    Miles 1,203

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can refer on page 3 of following XGAUGE manual.
    http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf
    It's up to you. :)

Ken@Japan

12. mnky357us

mnky357us bweverka

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks a Bunch

Went to the site and found the information earlyer today, don't
    know why I couldn't find it before, may be it was to obvious.

Thanks for you answers.........

2008 Seaside pearl
    Package #5
    2 months old.