1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGaugeII and KPH in Europe

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skandale, Jul 11, 2007.

1. skandale

skandale Member

I just got my ScanGaugeII, but i'm still waiting for my Prius. I have testet the ScanGaugeII on my current car, a 2005 Peugeot 1007.

In Europe there are limitations on how precise the speedometer can be. It cannot show too low speed (e.g. show 80kph when the car does 82kph). Neither can it show more that 10% too much. Most car makers seems to let their speeometers shjow 4-5% too high speeds.

My Peugeot has an analog speedometer, and I've noticed that it's margin of error is the normal 4-5% compared to my Garmin Nüvi 360. But when I attached my ScanGaugeII, it shows the correct speed, or 1kph too low in worst case. So the ECU in the car knows the correct speed, but adds a margin of error before presenting it on the speedometer.

I've read somewhere that the Prius also shows the speed as too high in Europe, but does the ECU (and by this, also the ScanGaugeII) keep track of the correct speed?

Are there anyone who has any information on this?
    As I'm still waiting for my own Prius (delivery mid September), I cannot check this myself.

regards,
    Stein

2. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One month ago I traded my Citroën C2 for the Prius I currently drive. Both cars have a digital speedometer. Naturally, I've used my GPS (it's a Sony NV-U71T) to check the accuracy of the cars instruments. While my old car (a 1,6 VTR with SensoDrive) was showed almost the correct speed (from 40 km/h up to 130 km/h) my Toyota, sadly, shows a speed that according to me is to inaccurate.

IIRC, the Peugeot 1007 and the Citroën C2 share very many components.

3. skandale

skandale Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenebre @ Jul 11 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]476678[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I believe our cars share much of the components. I have ordered my Prius with IPA and NAV, so I've promised to give my Garmin to my parents. But I guess I'll have to figure out how inaccurate the Prius speedometer is before I hand over the Garmin to my parents.

Unless the ScanGaugeII reports correct speed, that is.

Stein

4. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Jul 11 2007, 12:51 AM) [snapback]476662[/snapback]</div>
    My UK Prius shows considerably hight speeds, at 40mph it is reading 43mph. I also have the scangaugeII. The scangauge reads the correct speed I have checked it against mt TomTom Go.