1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanguage II install with picts...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just installed a scanguage II into our car and wanted to share with picts as I know others have do it and may be helped out. It is really not that hard, but I think that if you are going to install in the little center cubby, it can be tricky to drill the hole. My goal was that if I ever sold the car that I could make it look as stock as possible. This hole can be covered by the little felt carpet that comes in the cubby. No need to worry about seeing a hole at the back of the cubby. Other than that it is pretty much plug in the gauge and route the wires. While the pictures show more stuff taken off than you need, becuase I was installing more than just the Scanguage, you will have to take off the driver's side left vent, lower dash pannel, upper dash pannel, rdriver's side right vent, and the middle passenger side vent to get access to the screws to the pannel under the cubby.

Once you remove the screws, you can then pop off this cover and use a 1/2" drill bit (use a bit made for wood as when I used a metal or spiral bit, it grabbed the plastic and didn't cut a nice hole) to drill a hole from the bottom of the cubby.

Also I have included the best tool for pulling the pannels from their clips.

Hope the pictures help

Steve

Attached Files:

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly like the "Tool to use" tip, gotta get one of those myself. Sadly that space is occupied by my scanner so I chose upper dash, just to the right of the trouble light display. Besides with my eyes, if it's too close, I can not focus on it with out my reading glasses! Who wants to be putting those on and off while driving!!!

But if that position works for you, NICE JOB!!

3. dapastaguy

dapastaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice install. I put mine there "temporarily" when I got it while I tried to come up with a more permanent solution. Both my sons have advised me to do like you did. They think it would be great looking behind the cover of that space. Do you use yours with the cover closed, or have you removed the cover? I would that that if set to the highest light intensity it eould look nice behind the tinted cover.

4. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. The space is temporary. I drilled the hole from the bottom instead of straight back so that when I move it the little "carpet" will hide the hole. I put up the picts so that people could see how to get under the cubby to drill a hole.

I am going to order a auto dimming mirror and then also get a mounting clip to put up above the mirror. I think it is called the blend mount.

The display can been seen through the cover, however it is hard to look down and see it while still keeping an eye on the road. I find it kind of a safety hazard.

Steve