1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanguage II upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PA Prius, Oct 4, 2007.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I understand the software upgrade is now available for the Scanguage II for $25. I've searched this site and the Scanguage website, but can not find any specifics about what additional information will be available for the Prius with the upgrade. Can anyone shed some [not too technical] light on this for me? Thanks!

PA P

2. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With the new upgrade you will be able to program your own gauges using the X-Gauge feature. The new codes needed to create the new gauges will be supplied by Linear-Logic/Scangauge. You will be able to monitor battery SOC, battery volts/current and many others that are being researched at this time. They will be listed on their site once the codes are created.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    But currently there are only two CAN parameters that can be monitored, traction battery voltage and traction battery state of charge. Look closer on the site and you'll eventually find the "spreadsheet" that lists the parameters you have to enter when you get into the X-Gauge screen. Scroll down for the Prius listings (the two above are listed).

As far as anyone being upset that we have to pay $25 for the upgrade, get over it. They never said (to me, anyway) it would be free. I haven't looked inside the unit, but to do the upgrade I suspect they have to remove the rom and replace it with a new one. $25 is cheap for this. Return postage is included, as well as a new manual. Not a bad deal, in my books. All this is for version 3.15.

I'm probably going to purchase another unit as well, probably before I send mine in for the upgrade, so I will have one in use when they are upgrading the old one. Once it's back, I'll be able to connect both to get up to eight readouts. I was told I can connect the second unit by just using a network cable and the spare RJ45 on the first to connect the second.

4. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 4 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]521309[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps Danny could inquire for us about a group rate if the sg was purchased back in the group buy in the spring.

Even if just $5 discount.. would be nice.. especially for being without the unit for 4 weeks, I'll easily use 1 or 2 more gallons in that time without it.

5. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Oct 4 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]521312[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know, $25 including return postage is a pretty darn reasonable price if you ask me. Granted, it probably only takes them 10 minutes per unit to swap out the ROM chip, we're still talking a parts and labor charge. When was the last time an auto repair cost just $25?

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Oct 4 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]521312[/snapback]</div>
    The less expensive ScanGuage drove the Can-View off the market because it was a one size fits all. Now that the Can-View is gone, the ScanGuauge is specializing to capture the smaller more specialized Prius market which remains. It is not just the exchanging of the chip. The chip had to be designed and maufactured and the market for it is much smaller than the rest of the ScanGuauge market. Then there is the related programming and the device to read the programing.

How much do YOU expect for an hour of work? Things never happen on schedule or smoothly, especially if customers are confused or unhappy. Time is money.

You don't get quality electronics cheap. It is a real shame that the Can-View is gone. This expectation for cheap modification is what killed it!