1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGuage owners weigh in... it's use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 9G-man, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's say I already consistently average 60 MPG.
    Please post how you use the scangauge to improve your gas mileage, above and beyond what can be achieved by understanding and expoiting the Prius' glide and stealth capabilities via the Energy screen, slowing down ones highway travel speeds, increasing tire pressure, and using efficient driving techniques. Info that doesn't allow me to change anything is irrelevant. I'm looking for Prius PhD, or would that just be a Masters?

2. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here are just a few things I like about it. I just got my scanguage but it really helps going up hills you can DWL(drive with load) which means hold a certain RPM all the way up a hill you will slow down but better MPG's . I also plan on blocking my grill when weather gets colder and need it to monitor coolant temperature. I also like having the CFE(current fuel economy) which resets every time you turn car off this way you can see how you are doing from point A to point B. I have only had this Scanguage a short time, but so far I like it..:)

3. jps000

jps000 No Exit

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is another post, originally by JimboK which has seen action lately "Scangauge Fuel Efficiency". JimboK had asked two years ago how people use Scangauge. Two years later, he explains what settings he mosts like to use... (he now owns a Can View, but same idea).

1) To me RPM is very useful Try to stay under 2400.
    2) IGN & TPS 14 & 18 or 15 & 19 are best for maintaining slow glide in highway driving. That said, JimboK did a cruise control vs. driver study for highway driving and found that cruise control and driver were equal on flatish, not too hilly terrain; so Scangauge is less useful for highway driving; however, I monitor RPMs when using cruise control and will cancel CC when the RPMs get above 2400 on hilly terrain and let the car slow down...then back to CC on more flat terrain.
    3) MPG (love to see those numbers in the 1000s); not really needed.
    4) I use GPS (programmed in as an xgauge
    5) See the post I mention from JimboK for his discussion on SOC, also programmed in as an xgauge.

4. jps000

jps000 No Exit

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not to peseverate but FWT (temp), which allows you to know which stage you are in (see attachment)
    BTA (xgauge function) which allows you to monitor most efficient battery use (not drain too much or charge during SHM, e.g.) . See this thread.

Attached Files: